Don't buy the "Beavis And Butt-head" Mike Judge Collection.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

In this case, "Director's Cut" means that Judge went into the episodes and cut out material from the originally-aired versions that he deemed unfunny or inappropriate.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Really? Bummer.

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

To be perfect honest, I don;t think we're EVER gonna get a perfect, concise B&BH collection on DVD for one very important reason.

THEY'LL NEVER LICENSE THE MUSIC FOR THE VIDEO SEGMENTS!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, the writing on the story parts of the episodes was pretty damn funny, but half of that show's brilliance was the music video segments.

(While watching Edie Brickell singing "What I Am"):
    Butthead: "Wasn't this chick married to that guy from Africa who used to be in The Beatles?"

That alone might be one of the greatest musical jokes of the whole series.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm saving my VHS tapes recorded off of MTV of the originally-aired shows.

Evan

chilinvilin and Monk-E-Boy like this.
  5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Same here.....I have about 10 hours worth, myself.....

Take advantage of Comedy Central while you can! They're running B&BH weeknights at 7PM Eastern. I was shocked when I found them this week. It also gives me a chance to catch up on some of the later eps. which I never saw.

Monk-E-Boy likes this.
  6. Rando

Rando Active Member

That's a real shame. Mike Judge, meet George Lucas. :shake:

Anyone wonder why they abrupty pulled a B&B DVD set from release about a year or so ago? (They didn't pull it in time for quite a few of them to turn up on eBay, however.)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I agree!!! I loved that segment when they were watching the Edie Brickell video. "Hey she ripped this off from Popeye!!!" :laugh:

Or my other favorite, though I can't remember what the video was. It was a black & white clip and you see some woman dragging a garden hoe on the ground and Beavis turns to Butthead and asks "Hey Butthead, what's that thing?" Uh, huh huh, it's a hoe!" Then Beavis asks, "Yeah but what's that thing she's draggin' behind her?!?!" :unhunh: :biglaugh:

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I could quote this stuff for hours.......another fave was the very first Christmas Episode, which was NOTHING but B&BH watching videos alternating with watching the good ole' yule log.

During one of the yule log clips, "Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairies" starts to play, to which Beavis says "Hey! This sounds like Ozzy!". Both of them proceed to "sing along" with the song, getting harder and harder until they both segue into the riff from "Iron Man"

Or (IIRC) when they were watching the Yanni video: "Hey! It's Geraldo!"

:biglaugh: :unhunh: :biglaugh:

Monk-E-Boy likes this.
  9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I talked to Mike Judge & Abbey Turkuckle (sp?) once. My impression was he didn't cut those things out because he WANTED TO. :shake:

10. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Beavis and Butt-Head shaped my personality. For better or for worse :)

(While watching Billy Idol): "And I'm play-ing with myself! Playing with my-self!!!"

Priceless. Even if Mike Judge cut some stuff out, I think I'll get the DVD!

11. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

That was one of my favorites. But it was the Hall & Oates "Jingle Bell Rock" video, after a reveal of John Oates behind a big stack of presents.

I'd love to see that episode again!

Butt-head: "Who could that be?"
    Beavis: "Whoa! It's Geraldo!"

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I feel for you. Yours truly and my close friend from HS (who works for a law firm in NYC) continue to use B&BH quotes to this day. We're both 30 year old men talking to each other like idiots.

"Uh......................"

13. Sckott

Oh, the Xmas episode was extra-brutal. Nothing will grace cable the same way.

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

From the same video segment, as more people are coming to the door...

Butthead: "Uh-oh! Don't let PRIMUS in!"
    Beavis: "Yeah, they'll wreck the place!"

Jamey K likes this.
  15. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

:wave:

I'm guessing all of us here have a friend like that :) And we are also in our thirties, BTW.

16. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Was it the one where Beavis is dressed as a raindeer, and Butt Head as Santa? The one where they are reading Christmas lists, and so on? While Butt Head is using his lash against Beavis???

Those were the happiest days of my life! ;)

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

That was a later Christmas Ep. It might have been the same one where they spoofed "It's A Wonderful Life" to where Butthead was never born. Stewart was cool and Beavis was now Stewart......classic.

But, to me, the first Christmas episode will always be the best for its sheer simplicity

(While watching Redbone & Dr. John do Frosty The Snowman):
    Beavis & Butthead: Bumpity BUMP BUMP Bumpity BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!

18. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I have all of the B&B DVDs released to date - the two on SMV, the Time Life sets, and the recalled History 2 DVD set. I'm getting this one as well. While I agree that no B&B will be perfect, I'd rather have this than nothing at all.

As for the director's cut ones, my understanding is the episodes are expanded not severely cut. It also has some of the videos, and some good extras.

Check out http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/447 for a review.

19. StyxCollector

This is already on DVD - twice. Once on the original SMV DVD and also in the Time Life collection.

20. Sckott

My favaorite is when Beavis drinks the new VOLT! Cola in burgerworld and goes Cornholio.

Back then, they had caffinated H2O. It actually made me pull my shirt on the top of my head and walk around threatening people.

Sathington Willoughby and Vidiot like this.
  21. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

The one where Butt-Head was never born... wasn't that the one where Beavis crashes against a wall because Butt-Head told him to do it and he dies, and then he comes back to earth... no, wait... the one you are talking about is where Beavis is a volunteer at a local soup kitchen, and is best friends with Stewart... right??? :D

22. GregY

GregY New Member

I have a lot of the original episodes in, ahem, computer format that are nothing but VHS rips off of broadcast. Like StyxCollector said, I might buy this just because it is a decent collection and has some of the videos. There's no way they'll ever be able to sell (many) original episodes with videos intact.

"Ten-six-niner, ten-six-niner, we got wh**es in the city, we need backup NOW!"

23. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Now I'm really confused.

Didn't Beavis turn to Cornholio when they ate all the sugary stuff at Stewart's mothers' home? Then B&BH go back to school, and he turns into the Great Cornholio...

24. GregY

GregY New Member

There were a few Cornholio episodes.

25. StyxCollector

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.