Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefan Sigurdsson, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

The Goo Goo Dolls did it much MUCH better... A perfect example of a band doing a cover that's better than the original.

2. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I've always liked "Shooting Shark" off The Revolution By Night.

DaverJ, carlwm, Zombeels and 3 others like this.
  3. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

The simple answer: YOU DONT KNOW IF THE OVERDUBS WERE DONE BY THE BAND OR NOT.

thanks and have a nice day.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. Wombat Reynolds

Curtis was gorgeous, altho sort of unusual looking, and the movie was scary and at times she seemed genuinely frightened and vulnerable. At least to this 16 year old kid.
    The BOC track was a huge plus.

Its funny to go full circle and see her playing Lindsay Lohan's MOM in a movie so many years later.

Ah youth..........

BluesOvertookMe, Todd W. and hi_watt like this.
  5. Clean Demon Jim

Clean Demon Jim Forum Resident

I've been spending a lot of time with the catalog lately and have to say that Secret Treaties is my favorite over-all album. I was familiar with the hits (and will always love DFTR), but got really blown away by "She's as Beautiful as a Foot" off the first album that my college roommate picked up for a buck. Another copy showed up the next week for the same price and I jumped on it. Very, very spooky sounding; dark psychedelia.

As others have stated, it's not hard nor expensive to take some chances on the catalog. You can easily find those 3 or 5-album sets for very cheap. Also, check out "In Thee" from Mirrors, which is beautiful. And with Halloween just around the corner, definitely listen to "Joan Crawford."

6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Thanks, man! It's nice to get a peaceful reply to my posts! :righton:

7. Wombat Reynolds

LOL way to move those goalposts.

do you now deny you said this?

"And the "enhanced" version rocks. Way better than the original. Completely done by the band. Personally, I am guessing that what is heard here is just tracks of the original multi-track that were potted-up for this mix."

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

No problem. I try to be nice. There has been some venom on the forum this week, just try to not let it get you down.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

:laugh:

10. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I do hope you're joking. You are joking, right? o_O

12. The Hud

I am going to give you a 98.6% confidence rating that this is the version from Cult Classic.

Please listen for yourself before any purchase since I cannot 100% confirm.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  13. Wombat Reynolds

I have Cult Classic at home, so I'll listen. Tried to find it on youtube but its blocked in the USA.

The Hud likes this.
  14. The Hud

As you know, Cult Classic is worth owning for any BOC fan. Astronomy is the standout track for me.

15. Wombat Reynolds

its pretty good. I prefer the older sound, to be honest. I mean the warts and all mix and mastering of Secret Treaties, that sort of IS the BOC sound, in my opinion. The murkiness of it. It all sort of suited them somehow. Even the original murky mix of Dont Fear the Reaper. Some people blame no money for a decent studio and terrible mastering... to me, it was part of what they were, or, what I thought they were.

Cult Classic sounds so dry and so clean... I know its them, you can instantly recognize Bucks playing... but the sound of it isnt "right" for me. Just my opinion.

I do like the version of ODd on Life. Even cooler, they were playing that one live when I saw them around the time of Cult Classic.

The later albums of BOC all sound like Cult Classic too... Bucks guitar has this odd sounding flat compressed to death thing with no low end... compare that to the 70s vinyl sound of his riff on Harvester of Eyes.

Sometimes you get an album and you want to go to the engineer or producer and make them listen to an earlier work and say, "THIS. This is better than what you're trying to do".

But its all subjective opinion.

16. The Hud

I should have said Cult Classic isn't a substitute for the originals, but a cool companion piece.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That song was written by the late Allen Lanier about Patti Smith - who also wrote some Cult lyrics such as 'Shooting Shark'
    Also mentioned in the lyrics is the late Jim Carroll, who wrote the lyrics to 'Perfect Web'.

It was always a bit of a tangled web with these guys...

Clean Demon Jim likes this.
  18. Vinyl Socks

I am looking in to the situation. If what you are saying is true...at least that nullifies the prior posts from others who took offense at my words...

Checking to see if it is available on Spotify...next step is ordering the CD. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Cult Classic isn't on Spotify...figures!

19. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Blimey, somebody got a bit touchy back there! Somebody who started his reply to my reply with "no, not that....you are wrong". Pretty blunt, if you're all about good manners.

I wasn't even insinuating that it was some amateur guitarist playing on YouTube (how could that possibly have ended up in a film soundtrack???), but that that's what it reminded me of.

Anyway, it's the internet, who cares. And as I started my post - each to his own.

Shall we move on and just agree that Before The Kiss, A Redcap is bizarrely wonderful? You can even say it's wonderfully bizarre, and I won't argue.

20. Vinyl Socks

I won't know until I buy it. The video I posted earlier is the original take with extra lead guitars and a loud Hammond organ. Most of the "good stuff" happens during the final credits. Headphones help ya focus on the extra stuff.
    I love it...
    Not sure if Cult Classic is completely re-recorded versions of those tunes or not, since I have yet to hear it.

21. The Hud

Cult Classic is completely re-recorded versions of all the songs included. The TV Mixes are instrumental versions. It is a very good album, IMO, so even if it isn't what you are looking for, I think you will like it.

I can only listen to the clip from the show on my phone, which makes it difficult for me to say conclusively one way or the other, since my phone speakers aren't that great.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  22. I have to agree, that mix sounds cluttered to me. It's frustrating, I can hear there's a great song in there, but it's somewhat buried in the mix. I'll take the original.

23. I could only take about 30 seconds of that, sorry. I'll take the original again.

24. Vinyl Socks

Definitely can't be the same as Cult Classic. The 'Six Feet Under' version is the original song with added guitars and organ. Try listening with headphones when you get a chance later...
    I say "can't be" because I've listened to a bunch of live recordings of BOC and they never really play "Don't Fear The Reaper" quite like the original studio track...it always sounds different. Not sure if they would have duplicated it so well if they'd totally re-recorded it. Great band, though!

25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I would just like to stop by this wonderful thread to say that buying the Compete Columbia albums box set may be the single best catalog purchase I have ever made. Prior to owning it, I had a 2 disc anthology and a single disc comp and was fairly lukewarm about the band other than the big hits.

They had such passionate support here and the box was reasonably priced and Anesini mastered so I figured what the hell.

Now they are in my top 10 hard rock bands, easy. Every album is worth owning, imo. I would include the two post Columbia albums in that, btw - I don't own them because they're fairly pricey and I'm hoping for a reissue - but they're available on youtube and both have some very strong material. The song Harvest Moon from Heaven Forbid belongs on any best of.

I would also like to add that I hate the Goo Goo Dolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.