Doors "LOVE ME TWO TIMES" 45 "hit" mix, best edit in Rock history? & "Touch Me" 45 mix, Stereo King?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Which mix was used on 13? the 1970 hits album.

I never knew why engineers panned drums to the side.
    Even during the 8-track era, the drums are side on the side which makes no sense.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ascot, do you have a dedicated mono stylus? You want a 1 mil stylus for those old mono 45s. (2 mil for real beaters.)

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

No, I do not have a mono stylus. I've always summed to mono when doing those.

But "Touch Me" is a stereo 45. :)

4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Steve, wasn't the LP released before the Love Me Two Times 45? Did you only hear the LP after a while?

I really like the mono mix but I'm struggling with the edits. I have always enjoyed how this song builds up to a frenzy after Jim's shout, during the solo, then quietens down. Robby changes the riff and hammers on the E rather than doing the G/G# hammer on. I think the effect of the retreat after the solo is lost with the edit. I can see how the edit makes the song more immediate and more hit-worthy though - it's all power and speed and the song doesn't really slow down after the solo.

Incidentally, finding the release dates for The Doors' singles seems impossible. Lots of sources give the months but I haven't found any that give the dates.

It's a fascinating discography because so many tracks were released and became hits months before the LPs, often in unique mixes or edits, but now are just regarded as album tracks. It's one of the cases where a singles compilation done properly would NOT just be yet another greatest hits compilation. We all know how many of those The Doors have done...

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

People Are Strange was the first single, pre LP release, that totally stiffed. Love Me Two Times was rush released 3 weeks after the LP was out, Nov, 1967. Don't have my notes handy for exact days.

2nd single tanked but here in LA it was played, even in acetate form way before the LP.

6. Six Bachelors

This trounces the LP mix, which leaves me a bit cold: the elements are so disparate. It's mainly because of the bass and drums but the horns being quieter makes them much less intrusive. Everything is emphasised to the extent it should be. This gives the song the power that it song needs but doesn't sacrifice the sweetness.

Why can't they re-release this stuff????!? Someone needs to sit John and Robby in a room (ok, maybe not at the same time) and convince them the merit of the single mixes by playing them to them. Neither of them has probably heard these in 40+ years.

7. Steve Hoffman

I told you why. Read the thread!

8. Six Bachelors

Thanks. In retrospect People Are Strange seems like an odd choice. A great, great song in my opinion, with a genius guitar solo, but probably not what the kids were hoping for after Light My Fire.

Sorry to retread old ground but...the four single tracks were all given unique mono mixes, right?

9. Six Bachelors

It was rhetorical!! It's just ironic when there are so many unique mixes and edits that were the actual versions that were all over the radio but these have been consigned to history (and YouTube).

I am hopeful though. The Japan boxset is close to being comprehensive. I wonder if we'll get a complete set someday soon...

10. Steve Hoffman

All songs on STRANGE DAYS are unique mono mixes, same as 45's except for edits.

11. Six Bachelors

Oh right. I must have read that several times but had forgotten it. I'll make my offerings to the audiophile gods so that AF and you get to do it one day.

12. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

:drool:
    :candy:

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've probably posted this memory here before, so forgive me for being nostalgic. I first heard People Are Strange sitting in my sister's '56 Chevy while she ran into the bank. It was either WMCA or WABC and the DJ introduced it with "Here's the premier broadcast of the new Door's single". I loved it. It was creepy and cool - matching the autumn weather that day.

JimC likes this.
  14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Even more 'obscure' than the 45 single mixes. There are (11) tracks mixed to Quad that appeared only on 'The Best of The Doors' 1973 vinyl lp.

15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I don't know if either is to blame . . . "Love Me Two Times" was mastered at Madison Sound Studios in New York on one of the first-generation "automatic variable pitch" Scullys from the 1950-55 period, probably with Grampian feedback cartridges that made the overall sound, sound "brittle." I certainly go for the 45 edit every time, that's for sure . . .

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Actually, the pressing shown in this pic was also East Coast - from Specialty Records Corp., Olyphant, PA, with label fonts from Keystone Printed Specialties of Scranton. West Coast pressings with this label came from the Monarch plant in L.A. The earlier red/white label was exclusively by this point on Columbia pressings from both Pitman, NJ and Terre Haute, IN - and both plants used Pitman's fonts.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Interesting, no sax solo at the end!

18. Steve Hoffman

Brittle, good descriptive word for the sound. The actual mix sounds a lot better but I love to see that label going around. Very nostalgic.

19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Sax solo is definitely there, just not as present as the mix we normally hear.

I agree that when it was slated for inclusion on "Soft Parade", they probably chose to make the stings and horn elements as prominent as the rest of the album.

20. Six Bachelors

I should know this and have the details at home but were any of Wild Child, Wishful Sinful, Tell All The People, Easy Ride, Runnin' Blue or Do It presented in a different mix and/or edit on the singles?

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I was listening on the computer at work through the tinny speakers(s) and it appears the left channel isn't working. The sax is panned hard right on that mix and I wasn't hearing any of it whatsoever (nor the horns). I actually thought it was the mono mix (didn't look at the label very closely, was playing it in the tiny quoted window). I think I like it better without the Ajax jingle at the end.

22. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't like that mix at all. Stupid (because it overpowers everything else on the record) bass. Cool TV footage though!

23. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Isn't the fact that you can't spot 'em part of what makes them great edits? If they were really obvious and noticeable I would think that would be bad....

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

In regards to brittle sound. I noticed that the red/white label 45's are a mixed bag. Good chance you may find/own a copy pressed on styrene rather than vinyl. While the orange/black label appear to be pressed on vinyl only.

vonwegen and Steve Hoffman like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Yup, always a crapshoot. Wish I still had my 45 of LIGHT MY FIRE. The first 10 seconds of that song act like a time machine for me no matter where I am when I hear them, boom, I'm back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.