Doors S/T mono official digital release on Amazon...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pronghorn, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimii70

Jimii70 Forum Resident

It is available on the U.K iTunes store for £7.99 . There are 4 versions of the debut album . Light my fire runs under 7 minutes only on the mono version.

2. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

I picked it up from iTunes this last week ... been listening to it. Neat, but not major differences ... haven't heard The End yet, will get to it ...

What WAS the source for the digital download version? Sure sounds like a needle-drop. Anyone know for certain? What was the source for the recent LP reissue of the mono mix? Would really like to know ...

3. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Regardless of source, I do like the actual mix. Those drums just LEAP out at ya. Nice bottom end, too ... Really getting to love 60's mono! Great, another sub-disease! :D

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The mono album has the same speed anomalies as the stereo album, I have originals of both.

5. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

well hey, at least they didnt pull a "Genesis-Misunderstanding" and SPEED UP the single!

6. carlane3

carlane3 Forum Resident

Strange days in Mono is interesting .My question is : Are these actual Mix to Mono masters or Fold Down Mono?:confused:

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Does the debut albums mono version from the Rhino vinyl have same level of volume as the stereo albums?

I havent spinned that vinyl for awhile (so cant recall), but atleast on Spotify the mono version has really low volume level...

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Yeah, there's a thread here somewhere about that Rhino Doors mono on vinyl that also complains it sounds very distorted. I can't imagine Rhino, who owns the rights to the album, would do a needle drop of their own vinyl reissue for the download. Why would they? They own the rights. It's possible their original vinyl reissue was mastered from a needle drop. At any rate, the mono version of The Doors album is available on Qobuz in lossless format. It has the same distortion as the standard download does.

10. I just played this last night in light of Strange Days mono reappearance this week and I have to say this is easily the worst sounding LP in my entire collection. It sounds as though the LP is being played with a chipped and badly worn stylus through a distorted amp with volume at 10 and an old speaker with loose connections. To say it is horribly distorted throughout is an understatement. What an utterly worthless exercise in marketing and reissue. It's going in the bin!

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

The mono download version from Rhino sounds really bad, too -- very distorted.

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I had the same reaction the last time I played it. I have yet to hear a good version of the mono debut. They really should redo this one.

13. My understanding is that this is how ALL copies of the debut in mono sound and no amount of remastering will ever change it. I wonder how many copies of the album were sold in mono originally and how many were returned?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.