Doors strange days mono vinyl reissue April 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SCOTT1234, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Several years ago I paid two hundred bucks for a mono Strange Days in NM condition. The cover was still in shrink wrap and I'd call the record mint but it had been opened so I'll call it NM. The Doors are have been one of my favorite bands since 67 so I have no regrets spending that much and I'm glad that a reissue is going to be released so others can enjoy the mono mix.

Tuco, Subvet and SteveM like this.
  2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

How do you like the mono mix?

3. ssmith3046

I believe it is settled. If Mr. Hoffman says it's a dedicated mix than I'll take it his word and my ears tell me that my original sounds too good to be a fold down. I read years ago, sorry but I forgot where, that the UK release was a fold and the US release was a dedicated mix.

Tommyboy, Nightswimmer and KDubATX like this.
  4. Nightswimmer

Maybe that is why people are coming to different conclusions. Maybe it is the UK fold on Youtube (have not listened to it).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. ssmith3046

spartanmanor and KDubATX like this.
  6. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I called every record store in my local area asking the same thing weeks ago. Half the shops know me pretty well and all of them turned me down :(

Guess I don't have enough street cred yet!!

I never liked this album until recently I came on a beat first pressing in Stereo about $5. Cleaned it off a little and listened to it probably 3 times in a row and was blown away. It really sucks my copy has some majorly deep gouges.

7. Nightswimmer

This record will be plentiful.

FLF likes this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It is kind of funny that they choose the mono to reissue, it really only makes sense if they have a good original source. The sticker on this just says it's the original mono mix. I do prefer good stereo sound and the only mono vinyl that typically gets the juices going for me has been stuff that was made back in the day. Even then it can be hit and miss from the late sixties 'til now, I have heard more recent mono that was pretty good and the Beatles stuff was maybe a little hit and miss but generally a success. My main interest comes from the occasional mono find that does jump out at you with impressive fidelity and impresses with no stereo effect. Also some oldsters once in awhile will say something like how they grew up listening to mono and prefer it that way.
    If a top notch stereo remaster were to be called out as dead on the money sound wise and the best or original tape were used in all analog, then I would be all over that. I think the main reason this mono is being done is that someone finally figured out the marketability of re-pressing this notorious release.

9. ssmith3046

AP's 45 rpm Strange Days is just what you described. Original master, tube analog, and Doug Sax along with Bruce Botnick in control.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/78307/The_Doors-Strange_Days-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  10. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Starting to get wet feet on this one after seeing members mention the mono s/t also put out by Rhino from several years back. Also some iffynes on the Rhino stereo version. I'm now adopting a wait and see approach to see how the SQ fares!

11. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

WOW I've been watching Ebay for this thing for quite some time, and seeing the going prices for a (for me and most of us here) playable copy, wishing for a RSD... COOL.

Some apparently 2015 RSD copies have already sold on Ebay.

12. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Just picked one copy on ebay for $30, isn't bad at all.

13. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Saw a copy today at a local shop as RSD inventory was being checked in. Sad to say to say the sticker on the shrink only states From Original Mono Mix. That's it. No other info on cover. I don't believe this is cut from the original analog mono master tape. Rhino is usually explicit about it when they do.

That makes it a deal breaker for me. This was the only thing I was even remotely interested in for RSD. Oh well....

mooseman likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Well, I'm not going to let it stop me.

mcenters likes this.
  15. The Rhino stereo LP is quite poor when pitched against the AP 45rpm version which, as ssmith3046 says above, is all-analogue tube cut. I had a good idea this Strange Days mono reissue would be digitally sourced as indeed the self titled mono debut was. What we really need is for AP to re-cut Strange Days in mono as it has done with all the other albums in the Infinity set ie. analogue, tube cut.

16. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Wait, what?

17. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Exactly. Whether it is an AAA or digital pressing I'm still gonna snag a copy as I am a big Doors fan. I really want to hear this album in mono as it has a unique mix. I would be really irritated if I didn't pick up a copy based on the outer sticker and then came back to this thread to read glorious reviews.

Chances are it may sound bad and people will come to complain about it here. I'd rather take the risk and get slightly burned with bad sound than regretting not purchasing it after reading great reviews.

Pats Radio and Tommyboy like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Exactly. The last couple of Doors RSD items that I've purchased have sounded pretty good.

Pats Radio likes this.
  19. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

I bought one off ebay already. The prices are much better than Weird Scenes RSD LP. Those prices are a flat out rip off. I luckily got that one before it's release too so it wasn't bad. GOD, I HATE RSD.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wouldn't rush as this is likely a large run that will remain around long after Record Store Day and join the mono 'Doors' in the Rhino catalogue. Plenty will be up on Ebay and at reducing prices after a few weeks !

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  21. Pats Radio

22. Is that all? How many hard-core Doors fans are there in the world?

23. Pats Radio

For RSD yes. However, The Doors do sell copies of it sometimes on their website after RSD which are not numbered. I'm not sure if they are for this release.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Nobody has cracked one open yet?

25. PoptopiaDave

PoptopiaDave Forum Resident

Just listened to the copy I picked up today. A really interesting mix and excellent sonically. Not in the same league as the Analogue Productions 2x45, but very good. The pressing quality is also top-notch. My copy is blemish-free, almost perfectly flat, on-center, and dead quiet. Rhino did a fantastic job with this release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.