Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And I've already got it ! :bdance:The Doors - Riders On The Storm

Tommyboy, lovemygirl and Platterpus like this.
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

There's a rare Japan only single for "Land Ho!" Probably just an edit but would be interesting to hear.

avp2029, Hep Alien and lovemygirl like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

d.s.l., Hep Alien and lovemygirl like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's only a problem for those of you that want it on CD. I prefer my Doors be on vinyl, except for the DCCs of course.

lovemygirl likes this.
  5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I cannot recommend this set enough to anyone who is thinking about it. The worst things I can say about this set are the artwork, no trays for the discs and no detailed booklet.

Hep Alien, pdenny, musicfan37 and 3 others like this.
  6. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Oh, I thought you want something else since you specifically mentioned digital Hi-Res version :)
    Mixes were already discussed here but I guess ascot did a more comprehensive analysis Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

7. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident

...any feed back on the poster included with the box set? I really think it makes a great art piece!
    :)

8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

On the official Doors channel on YouTube, "Mosquito" has a really sloppy edit going into the jam part (where half a beat is missing) - is it like this on the actual CD set/original single?

Which is strange, because it seems like the song would transition there anyway on the album (smoothly)....

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

See, now I can't feel special anymore. XD Someone gave me a crate of 45's a while back, including an edited version of "Ships w/ Sails" that I thought never showed up anywhere else.... until now!

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Yep. The original single has the same thing.

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

What was the first Doors' single in stereo?

12. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

How is the sound quality on the new Singles 2CD? I don't own the 2007 40th comps, heard those remixes were a bit bright and thin but is Singles all original mixes and does it sound good? Is the volume level ok too?

Hep Alien and George P like this.
  13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think Morrison Hotel is their best album, actually.

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Hey, so I just received the 2 CD, 1 blu ray in the mail.

There is scant tech info in this package.

When i put the "quad" mix in the player, with a stereo setup, what am I listening to? Does the disk know I'm stereo not 5.1? I'm hoping I'm hearing a stereo mix, not a a weird 5.1 front channel mix...

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's terrific. Great mastering, original mixes, excellent dynamic range. It's like a pre-Loudness Wars disc. Don't hesitate - get it.

Hep Alien, Tommyboy, c-eling and 6 others like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just about!

With all the complaints we hear about brickwalling, i'm more than shocked at how few comments there have been on this forum about it not being compressed or limited, and it comes from a major label! My hats off to Bruce Botnick for the splendid remastered sound quality.

Maffune, Hep Alien, MoonPool and 13 others like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What Blu-ray player do you have? Is there a setting for down mixing multichannel to stereo?

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Any more info about the CD skipping issues? Do they skip during playback or not rip properly or both? Is this a problem with the Blu Ray 3 disc bundle or just the 2 disc set or both sets? Anyone have any details?

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I haven't bought this set yet. Can you be specific about CD skipping issues you referred to.

Thanks

Scott

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I agree.

Ironically, although You Make Me Real, in retrospect, is not a very impressive A-side, I think it's the most single-y track - short, quick and punchy and gets to the chorus soon.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reposted from my other thread:

OK, so I got off my butt and listened. Buy the two CD set for 12 bucks at Amazon. It's totally worth it. First of all, the mastering is not compressed or brickwalled in any way. In fact, it's the old fashioned style, where the loud songs are lowered in volume and the more dynamic songs increased. Just like on the BEATLES MONO CD BOX. Perfect.

Old dudes, go immediately to disk two, track 15, the mono radio mix of HELLO, I LOVE YOU. Bet you haven't heard that version since 1968 on your AM radio. It's amazing. Then, track 16 TOUCH ME, mono radio mix. This is a majestic mix we also haven't heard in over 45 years and then only on AM radio. Then, (and I'm drooling typing this) play track 17, the mono radio mix of WISHFUL SINFUL. This is mono mixing art at its peak. I think it's a lost art now. I assume Bruce Botnick did everything on here that is Jim related. This mono stuff (including the stuff on disk one) is just MONO MIX PERFECTION the way only Bruce Botnick could do it, the master of the single mix.

Now, go to disk one and crank it. Some of the songs are just edits of longer versions but some are unique mono mixes that are f****** amazing to hear in proper sound after all of these years.

No idea where most of these single masters came from, they sure weren't in the DOORS VAULT so I assume Bruce and associates tracked them down. A worthy project.

Buy it, now. No excuse not to.

avp2029, MerseyBeatle, DrJ and 74 others like this.
  22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

They are mentioned earlier in this thread a few pages back to around this past Sunday and onward. A few complaints but not a lot. Just curious in knowing before I buy it. If there are problems I can wait and order it later if things change with a better press if the is a problem. Use the key word skip to help filter the results if you are curious. Here they are:

Search Results for Query: skip | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

23. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Hats off to Botnick. Maybe he can be given the job of the next Beatles release.

steveharris likes this.
  24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Thanks. I wonder if anyone reported this to Rhino. I doubt they will do a re-press unless people email them to let them know.

25. More info upthread by basically disc 1 track 1 skips on some players not on others (it's fine on one of my players, not the other). Skips then starts over. This is the cd/br combo. I think someone reported the same problem on the cd only version. Have not tried ripping yet.

Hep Alien likes this.