Doors - "The Singles" 2 CD, 2 CD + Blu-Ray, & 7" Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 25, 2017.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

LA Woman would have been ruined if it was edited down to a proper single length.

Tightrope Ride is a different mix. The Mosquito is in mono on the single, possibly a fold down.

And Tell All The People is a longer edit.

pulpo, Hep Alien, Colinjpush and 3 others like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Myke

Got me listening to the mono BG reissue of S/T, and the original mono of Strange Days now, what with all this talk of The Doors.

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm enjoying the 2-cd + BR set, too. I might even spring for the vinyl box if a good deal comes around. Here's something funny. I've been listening to Doors music for nearly 50 years, but this set is the very first time I've ever listened to post-Jim Morrison Doors. Those tracks here aren't bad, all things considered. Even "The Mosquito" has it charms. :D

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Believe it or not, the album edit of The Mosquito is vastly superior with a couple of extra minutes of instrumental interplay. There are some terrible post-Morrison tracks that are not on this Singles release.

6. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

This is so much better than I would have ever imagined. Especially enjoying the soft parade tracks.

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm with you on that, however I'd have to see photos of all the 45's (and poster) prior to purchasing be assured the replica labels / sleeves are all correct.

jamesmaya and lovemygirl like this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He is wrong about the 2012 Rubber Soul reissue. It was NOT cut from a CD. It was cut from digital files.

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Thanks for summing that up for everyone. That looks right to me

Colinjpush likes this.
  10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I notice that there's a Japanese SHM 2 cd version of this coming out Sept 27. Now, I'm certainly not one who falls for the SHM "magic dust" or anything, but I'm more interested in the packaging - wonder if it will be in a double jewel box or at least in a nicer cardboard sleeve than the US one? I haven't bought it yet and I read a few negative comments here on the packaging.

The Singles [SHM-CD] The Doors CD Album

11. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

they do digipacks if the original release is a digipack

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Without skimming this entire thread, has anyone compared the blu ray Best of the Doors on this set with Steve's mastering of a few years ago? I don't have that one.

Kubricker likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Many thanks for this! :wave:

Hep Alien, ascot and jsayers like this.
  14. Myke

15. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Listening to the Quad blu-ray right now. WOW!!! As another poster said very crankable. This is what the Sgt Pepper5.1 should have sounded like.
    No skips on my 2CD Blu set.

Dinstun and Steel Woole like this.
  16. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Here in the S.F. area circa '67, "Light My Fire" was usually the LP version even on the AM stations, or at least KYA. The single has always sounded jarring to me.

Tony

billnunan and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Quadrophonic Quad is knee-deep in comparisons at the moment:
    The Doors - The Singles (2CD/4.0 Blu-Ray set) coming soon! - Page 5

Handy graph there indicating more highs and lows in the Blu-ray version.

The forum in general is absolutely worth it if you're interested in surround sound.

18. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

I noticed the album version of "Tell All The People" fades out earlier than the stereo single version. And the mono radio version is even shorter, having an 11 second part edited out around the 2 minute mark.

Ceabhairbunnáin likes this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the guitar solo in "Moonlight Drive" has been truncated - they chopped off the last few seconds.

Ceabhairbunnáin likes this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Man, the post Morrison stuff is awful. Some real dogs there. Just my opinion, of course.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I prefer the quad mix of the Blu-ray when compared to the SACD.

SteelyTom and IronWaffle like this.
  22. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I bought the 2cd yesterday at JB without doing my research kinda bummed I wasn't aware of the 2cd with bluray copy not that I noticed it in-store nor is it on their website.. wonder if the 2cd & vinyl box are the only in-store copies in Australia at present?

23. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I thought they were the same original quad mix?

24. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Same mix, different mastering?

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Someone posted earlier in the thread that they thought the Blu-Ray quad had different EQ than the SACD, maybe a slight midrange boost by comparison. Same mix though. That's why I didn't spring for the new deluxe set, as I already have the Audio Fidelity disc.

SteelyNJ likes this.