Doxy Records - anyone know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James_S888, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Doxy Records is an Italian record label. They used to do just CDs on the "Abraxas" label. But with the vinyl revival, seem to have recently branched into vinyl, with a truly wide range of offerings.

does anyone know what sources they use for their vinyl stuff???
    I'm betting they are just cutting CD files to vinyl, but I'm not 100% sure.
    One more dubious producer cashing in on the vinyl revival or a quality producer???

If dubious, one to be alert to, avoid and tell others.

2. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

Note how all the albums in their vinyl catalogue are >50 years old. Public domain loophole!

I have probably more than I should of their products. "Here's Little Richard" comfortably one of the worst sounding albums I own, sounds like it's being piped down a telephone; "Brilliant Corners" actually quite good, as if they've copped it from a decent-sounding CD (perhaps even the SACD).

Generally, dubious, alert, avoid.

Also, not to be confused with the other Doxy label, which I believe is affiliated with Sonny Rollins.

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a public domain loophole in Europe.
    They can rip this stuff off. For me the question is, are they just taking CDs and pressing them to vinyl - the default option.
    Or do they have access to some decent analogue tape copies of this stuff?

I would say they're just pressing CD files to vinyl mostly.

You're right, the other Doxy records is Sonny Rollins own label.

4. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Local stores have been flooded with quite a few titles issued by Doxy. They are tempting, only because their jazz lps are top notch titles that are not so easy to find.

Wondering if anyone can comment on the quality of any other albums issued by Doxy. I picked up the above mentioned Brilliant Corners and found it sounded pretty nice (though like the above poster I wouldn't be surprised if it is cd sourced). I also have the first two volumes of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music which I find quite loud.

5. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Vinyl outlet for Cherry Red/El and their other sub-labels. Sourced from digital files, EU copyright deal.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They are not ripping anyone off as it's perfectly legal!

I would however avoid them as they probably just master from existing CDs as they don't have access to master tapes.

7. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

What's the legality of using existing cds to press vinyl? I assume it would be illegal as you're basically just copying and selling for a profit. Perhaps it would be impossible to prove...

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's what public domain is about. Copyright just protects the recorded performance, not the release format or remastering.

Technically, the public domain labels are not allowed to use the original artwork and liner notes (protected until 70 years after the death of the designer/author), but nobody seems to care about that.

9. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

They are terrible, according to Michael Fremer. They are pressing commercial CDs to vinyl - avoid at all costs. Here's the link to the article: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/reissue-labels-avoid-and-some-best-proceed-caution

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I hadn't seen that one, it looks pretty nice, I've seen some of those Doxy multi LP sets in shops for under £20, it's a shame they didn't have the Kurosawa as I'd have given it a try.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There is nothing worse than most public domain (50 year loophole) reissues on vinyl.

The whole point of vinyl reissues, if there's a point, is A) analog warmth from a carefully curated master and good engineering; and B) good large size packaging.

You get neither with these loophole companies. The stuff is mastered from existing releases (vinyl, CD). And the packaging is almost always low quality and often unbelievably amateurish.

12. As I said earlier, no idea of the source for the soundtrack set I linked to but the quality of the physical product is absolutely first class and right up there with anything the majors put out. I would say the same about the Springsteen Main Point vinyl box set as well.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Have you looked at the link, that Kurosawa box looks great, their Southern Folk Heritage series did as well come to that, as for them using CDs, what's the problem, there are numerous LPs sourced from 16/44 files by major labels, how much 1990s vinyl came from DAT tapes?

If we were talking about yet another version of "Kind Of Blue" then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but when it comes to music where the rights owners have neither done a reissue or have any intention of doing a reissue then those titles should be fair game. The PD companies still have to pay publishing so they generate money for song writers, (well publishing companies), whilst I can guarantee that with a few exceptions the original artists won't own their own 50 year old recordings anyway, I won't cry over Universal or Sony not getting paid for something they refused to reissue anyway.

Kubricker, skunkride and nibor like this.
  14. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

15. I'd say approach with due care and caution. The simple fact is that they (and others like them) simply have some releases that mainstream labels will never touch.

16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

So is that where that "first Beatles single" LP that was showing up at Half Price came from?

17. skunkride

skunkride New Member

Have 2 albums on Doxy - first one i picked was The New Scene Of King Curtis which really surprised me in a good way - nice full sound with good dynamics, quality pressing as well. Later on i got Art Blakey & His Jazz Messengers (originally on Impulse but using the UK cover) which was a bit of a let down with flatter, less exciting sound (the music itself is great) but still not a disaster. Stopped there but would be curious to know how other albums sound like.

BTW i see they put out Jazz For The Thinker by Yusef Lateef which is a great album - quite sure it was never released on CD so wonder where they sourced it from ?

18. triplecask

triplecask Forum Resident

I haven't heard it myself but many have said that their press of Gil Evans - Out of the Cool sounds like it came from a CD lineage as well.

19. I just bought this Curtis Fuller album on vinyl, released in 2013 on the label Doxy.

http://www.discogs.com/Curtis-Fulle...son-The-Curtis-Fuller-Jazztet/release/4710536

[​IMG]

It was not very expensive, so I thought I'd give it a try. The pressing seems to be quite nice, also decent reproduction of the artwork and a lined inner sleeve.

I just needledropped it. A frequency analysis shows that this is not a CD sourced record, freqencies goes all the way up to over 40 kHz, no cut-off or similar at around 20 kHz.

I have to compare it to my Savoy CD version, but on its own, it sonds nice.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  20. I just bought a Serge Gainsbourg compilation on Doxy called 'Gainsbourg 1234'. Not bad. Playable.

21. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

The only Doxy record I own is Stringbeat by John Barry. It's a bit high in the treble but much better than my CD copy. The record is flawless and the cover is fully laminated, better than many of the majors! A poly lined inner too. Whilst sundazed records I own sound fabulous they don't look great with marks on them and a little of the dreaded non fill. Typical American pressings I would say, which means lousy to me. Or am I just unlucky?

22. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

This Doxy album

[​IMG]

sounds really good and the music is highly recommendable anyway.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

They can't even spell his name right! Is it a compilation from the Craft/CBS recordings?

24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I've got a handful of Doxy releases - they have been putting out a nice selection of classic Brazilian and Samba records by Gilberto, Ben, etc.. I'm no audiophile but they sound great to me and I like that they include a CD of the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.