Dr Who season 9

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I have learned over many years of Who watching that overthinking the plots is a waste of time. But, to each their own...

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I also have watched Doctor Who over many years and I'm sorry to say that that line of thinking shows an extreme lack of imagination on your part. Sure, the show (like all shows) has it's fair share of mediocre to awful episodes, but why is it so unbelieveable that on occasion it can rise to brilliance? But you're right, "to each their own". Thank you, I haven't heard a thought terminating cliche all day!

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Thanks for projecting.
    Indeed.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Projecting? So what you're basically saying is that I'm showing a lack of imagination for over thinking the episode. That makes absolutely zero sense whataoever.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You keep wanting to ascribe intentions and beliefs onto other people, which I guess explains your dogged, forensic dissection of what is primarily a children's tv show. You might also note that I originally said that I enjoyed it (for what it was). I'm now prepared to stop flogging the dead Equus.

6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Sarah Jane Adventures was "primarily a children's tv show". Doctor Who hasn't been that way since the 1960s, but even if it was that is such a cop out. Is there some sort of law that says that children's programming cannot have layers of meaning beyond the obvious? It isn't as if I'm going "ROOM 237" here. If you think I'm going overboard, do yourself a favor and NEVER open up a text on film theory. If this subject doesn't interest you then quite simply stay out of it. You're not going to shut me down just because you are tired of the conversation (or "flogging the dead Equus" as you put it). I will continue to post my thoughts and observations in the hopes of having an intelligent conversation with anybody that wants to contribute.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, you think I'm trying to 'shut you down'!? Talk about a persecution complex. :crazy:

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Your last five posts have been riddled with thought terminating cliches and do nothing to add to the discussion, so basically, yeah. Ridiculing a person for "over thinking" or voicing any sort of opinion is a pretty standard bullying technique that people use to get others to stop talking. If you're going to accuse me of over thinking at least do me the courtesy of explaining how I'm over thinking. Or is that just too much effort for you?

9. I don't think he was remembering so much as he was realizing as he got to that point he must have been "recreated" each time. He reached the same conclusion each time and saw evidence that someone had been chipping away to get to the Tardis. Who better than him?

10. Riker always stood in for,the dimmer members of the audience....

progrocker71 likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought that was Deanna Troi's job!

12. No, she was there to parade increasing absurd costumes and hair styles!

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That too, but I remember so many times when there would be a meeting room discussion of something technical, she would chime in with some simplistic analogy: 'It's like a puzzle', etc.

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

"But you don't understand, Clara. I can remember. I can remember it all."

You can see it in his face once he says the word "Bird". He then rushes into his mind Tardis and shouts. "That's when I remember! Always then!"

15. I admit that was a perplexing bit of dialog but I took it a different way not referring to his current predicament.

16. Yeah but that was to explain for Riker. He was never the sharpest tool in the shed! ;)

17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Ain't that the truth. I've spent nearly all week trying out anagrams of "I am in twelve". It's messin' with my head!!!!

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My take on the skulls is that, the first time WE see him, the lagoon is already full of skulls. Thus it was not the first time the Doctor had been there. Theoretically, the first time he went, there was no dust, nor was there a skull. And it just goes back to skulls are the hardest part of the skeleton, the last thing to decompose, and, perhaps being linked to the diodes kept it intact.

19. Andy Smith

The skulls aren't the Doctor. Capaldi has better teeth.

Isaac K. likes this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Relating back to Greek Mythology again, the word "bird" could also represent the torture in Tartarus of Prometheus, who was punished to die every day for etenity by having an eagle peck out his liver. Both the Doctor and Prometheus have something in common with being saviors of humanity and rebeled against the rest of their kind in order to protect them.

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I thought that was the best episode of the season, it even managed to answer some questions and tie some things up as well as setting up potentially the best spin off ever, a shame it won't happen though hopefully we'll see Ashildr again.

zobalob and Mylene like this.
  22. Andy Smith

I think The Hybrid thing was overplayed. Certainly wasn't worth eking out over an entire series. By the end of tonight's episode I wasn't really interested in why, what or who the bloody Hybrid was........ but the rest was great! Maybe now we've finally seen the last of the blasted sunglasses.

Deesky, seed_drill and zobalob like this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Best episode this century. It took my breath away. Congratulations to everyone involved.

zobalob likes this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Great episode. Loved seeing a classic interior of the TARDIS and a new screwdriver (but still hope that he keeps the guitar and shades). I was personally hoping to see The Master regenerate into Missy, but maybe next time. Relating back to last episode, here is a pertinent quote:

"The confession dial is a ritual act of purification. It allows a dying Timelord to face his demons and make his peace before his mind is uploaded to the matrix. It was never intended as a torture chamber for the living!"

Evidence that the experiences of "Heaven Sent" took place in a purely metaphysical dream realm, perhaps?

25. Andy Smith

Slight hints at 'Thelma & Louise' at the end? It'll make Clara's visits to Jane Austen a damn sight easier, but it could be a bit awkward for Ashildr....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.