Drive-by Truckers: Southern Rock Opera

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist Thread Starter

Just finished listening to this 2 record set from the Lost Highway label (who also released the Jayhawks Rainy Day Music on vinyl). What a great album!! I had been reading some good reviews of this release and when I saw it on vinyl, decided to take a chance. For those who don't know this is a "concept" album about growing up in the South and southern rock, particularly Lynard Skynard. The music is great-if you are at all a fan of Southern rock or Skynard, you will love it. The sound on vinyl is pretty good (haven't heard the CD)-some dense guitars, nice bass, not quite warm, but not too bright.

Highly recommended: I give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Jay N.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Another to add to my list....

Can one get this online?

3. Ted Bell

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Woo-hoo!

Thanks, Ted! :thumbsp:

5. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident

'cept the vinyl omits a couple songs. They should have plopped a
    7 incher in there:(

6. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

This is a good release, though I can't speak to the vinyl. I think the critics went a tad overboard because it was a concept album.

Their followup release, Decoration Day, is out now, and for me it's even better. The record club had been offering it as a "freebie" when you paid full freight for anything. (Now they're offering Damien Rice---also darn good!)

The media, as the media is wont to do, is jumping on the alleged Southern Rock revival. These guys, and particularly the Kings of Leon, are getting a lot of play out of it.

Kings of Leon is more of a split between southern rock and what might be called the "NYC retro sound" that's been all the rage over the last couple of years.

Maybe not as writing-focused as Truckers.

doug

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Thanks to this board I found out about the DBT's earlier this year. As much as I like A Southern Rock Opera I'd have to agree with Doug, their new one Decoration Day betters it. Good to see a good band without a sophmore jinx.

8. Ted Bell

9. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

DBT

If you have never seen them live they are amazing
    Best-
    Norm

10. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

That's good to know. I got it with a recent BMG order, and thought they goofed up my order. Now at least I know it was an extra (and free!).

11. stever

stever Senior Member

Re: DBT

I have, and they are very LOUD ... and amazing!

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

DBT Tour

Check them out on tour here

Peace-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.