Dual 1019

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guitarded, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Where is the best place to order the Jico stylus from? Jico directly or?

Guitarded likes this.
  2. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

I went directly to Jico - was amazed at their service, so I'd say buy with confidence.

I must say, however, as fun as my 1219 is with my Shure V15 III and my M97XE, it really is no match to my lowly Rega RP3. I know, I know, I'm a big idler fan and all that. I love nostalgia and often wax poetic to my kids about when everything was better back in the day to their chagrin. Still, the Rega RP3 with the Elys 2 is easily a superior listen. C'mon over, you can blind test it even if you're deaf and anyone with objectivity will conclude the same. If not, you can raid my Scotch stash.

I'm definitely happy for Guitarded regarding this purchase - a screaming deal, and a very fine turntable. However, should the upgrade bug bite down the road, don't cross the Rega off your list.

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, I have other tables. I am a fan of MusicHall, ClearAudio, and to a lesser extent VPI.

Also have some vintage direct drives and a linear tracking deck (or two?)...I can't pass up a clean turntable or cassette deck that only needs a little TLC.

JakeMcD and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I tried the SAS but prefer the elliptical. I haven't tried the the Jico hyper elliptical stylus with the II but I use one on one of my other Duals with the type III cartridge.
    I see you're in Montana so the snow will flying soon. I lived in Wyoming off and on years ago.

Guitarded likes this.
  5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident Thread Starter

Snow is already flying!

As soon as the freezer is filled back up, it will be time for projects.

The FRiNgE and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I can get one of these restored for $150. I was thinking of getting the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Would the Dual be the way to go (obviously cheaper)?

I don't know what kind of cartridge it has on it currently.

7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Each has its advantages and pitfalls. The Debut Carbon has mixed reviews, sometimes a hum problem and conceivably prone by its non-metallic plinth. The Carbon comes with a warranty, and of course a decent cartridge.
    The Dual may not be restored properly, which would be a nightmare. If restored properly, these turntables are made to last, good sounding, durable and are not prone to hum problems. When you have a good Dual, it is very good! You'll need to invest in a cartridge, most likely. Any Shure is compatible, or AT or Denon medium/ high compliance cartridge. I do think the Ortofon 2M Red would be ok in the Dual arm. If the Dual does not work out, it could easily be re-sold, even for parts it has value.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Paul K and Guitarded like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.