Dual 1229 Your Opinions please!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Ok, Men.

I'm planning on buying a Dual 1229 TT.

The purpose will be for CDR archival of 45s. Many of which are not in the greatest shape.

My research shows that this was an almost top of the line model and should be fine for this purpose. It also has 78 speed for the occasional 78 I get.

While I do own a Rotel 4000 with a Sumiko Blue Point for Lp transfer, I'm wondering if the Dual 1229 wouldnt be fine for this as well. Virtually very LP I'll be transferring are from the 60s and early 70s.

If the Dual would be great for BOTH, I'll sell the otel and have only one Table to deal with (and save some space as well)

Your opinions, please. I know some of you guys are TT experts an will give me an unbiased answer.

thanks in advance

Mikey

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Don't know if you've seen this?
    http://www.audioreview.com/TurnTables/DUAL,1229Q/PRD_124511_1597crx.aspx

Back in the early '70s I lusted after Duals, and finally bought one after a decent paying summer job. I've since graduated up to much more expensive 'tables, but still have a very soft spot for the old Duals. Well worth it if it's been well kept.

John K.

3. RetroSmith

thanks Bro!!

4. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Frankly I think you'll find the sound from this table disappointing.

Well made, long lasting, but made before the days when we'd found out that the turntable itself did make a sonic difference.

And the rim drive will have significant rumble.

5. RetroSmith

Well, its really only going to be used for 45 transfer.

And some of those 45s arent exactly sonic wonders.....

6. I had a Dual 1019

In the late 60's and early 70's I had a Dual 1019. I played it through my Dynaco amps and AR3a speakers. I thought that it was great. In the 70's it started to have logic problems. When a record ended, the arm would lift up, move to it's rest position. Instead of shutting off, the arm would raise and then move to the start of the record. Instead of fixing the Dual, i purchased a Technic changer, which I stll have. To be honest, I think that the Dual sounded better.

7. RetroSmith

Thanks johnny.

I'm sure, for dubbing 45s to DAT that it will be more than adequete.

I'm hoping that Lps sound good on it, but I already have a Rotel 4000 for those, so Im not too worried.

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Don't get rid of the Rotel, I'm sur it has a better arm on it!

9. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

A good enough table in its day, thirty years ago. The big fault on this one as previously mentioned is the rim drive, especially if it is a decade or three old. The motor turns a rubber wheel that presses against a lip on the inner-under side of the platter. The drive wheel goes a bit "flat" after time, as (I think) it stays in contact with the platter inner rim even when the table is not in use. Result would be akin to driving a car with square tires on it. I think you can get a better table at the price, unless of course this Dual is free, but even then........ you might be able to do better.
    Pat, who proudly owned a brand new Dual 1229, in 1974.

10. RetroSmith

Well, I coulkd always replace thew drive wheel if needed. Ive dont that before.

11. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Actually the idler wheel on Dual tables is disengaged when the table shuts off. HOwever it's still not an ideal drive mechanism. There's not enough isolation from the motor and the platter, and the arm/cartridge mount is not rigid enough to be of audiophile standards by modern standards. An inexpensive belt drive table like the old Pioneer - what was it - PL12D - will give better sound, though it won't change disks for you. It will shut off at the end, though.

12. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

While it's true that all idler drive Duals
    can have some rumble, the 1229 was the top
    of the line, with a 7 pound platter (lots of
    inertia). They were usually paired with Shure
    carts back then, with high output, so unless
    you really cranked it you wouldn't hear much
    noise. If the idler isn't too hard they are
    pretty quiet. Parts are still available if you
    know where to look.

--Roger

13. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Even on a worn 45, a good turntable is worth it. It gives you more of what's on the disc and allows you to seperate the noise from the music. If you're saying you don't care much about the sound, go for the Dual. If you want to record the 45's as well as possible, borrow a better turntable. A Linn Sondek has a 45 adapter. Don't know what you have access to though.
    My quarter cent.
    John

14. RetroSmith

Well, John, the 1229 WAS the best table Dual made. I think that it should do a good job with 45s, at least.

15. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hi Mikey,
    It was a worthy table. Dual improved on it in the 80's with the 250 - a decent value for money which plays 45's and sounds better than the older ones I believe.
    I'm not knocking it so much as saying you can get better sound if that's your intention. You'll do okay with the 1229. How far do you want to go?

16. RetroSmith

Well, Im looking for accurate playback from 60s 45s, specifically my "HIT" collection, which is stereo compatible. I'm transcribing them all to DAT, then to DAW for achiving.

Im hoping the 1229 is up to it, I believe it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.