Dumbest things ever overheard at a record store!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I was in a very successful record store a year ago or so....I was having a very interesting chat with the owner....In fact I had, for no cost to him, burned some rock and blues cd's for him. All of a sudden he says, "Since you're not buying any thing, you should leave."...."I'm very busy." Haven't been back.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Well, at least I've cleared my mind from the intellectual discussion that's overtaken this thread!

wrappedinsky likes this.
  3. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'll be 47 years old in about six weeks, and the only thing I know about mono is .... that it is different from stereo.

Just sayin'. Carry on I guess.

4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, "Big Balls" might not have been quite as funny to that guy as it was to me as an 8 year old

Zeki likes this.
  5. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah, plus he was a VP of a huge Bond Trading company, so his head was else where. Not on Big Balls.

Dynamic Ranger and erikdavid5000 like this.
  6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Dude. You're not getting my point either. Just because I thought her question was dumb doesn't mean I think she's dumb. I know you had your share of dumb questions in the past, so does that make you dumb to? Everyone has asked a dumb question before so does that make everyone dumb? If you really think that one dumb question about mono makes me think that she's dumb then you really got to reevaluate your thought process.

Also what am I wrong about? That my opinion of her question and I can't be wrong about that. You can't be wrong of your opinion of what you think either.

Also if mono has been phased out, then why are they reissuing Beatles albums (Both UK and US) in mono? Why bother reissuing RAM on mono if a stereo copy was how the album was mainly released? Same goes for The Association's Birthday album which was only issued in mono to radio stations. There is also an option to make your headphones into mono on iPhones which the majority of the young adults and teenagers have. If they don't have iPhone, then I'm pretty sure android has the same function too and then they can find out about mono that way.

7. SixOClockBoos

I can also search up "what is a 3/4 scale guitar?" at a guitar store or ask an employee and get a puzzled look because the answer is literally in found in the question. It's 3/4 scale of a regular guitar. The definition of mono is "one"

8. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

He's a poofter.

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I actually did have that problem when using an earlier CD player years ago and I wanted to program some specific tracks on The Residents' Commercial Album.

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

one what? if a record says "mono" and you're unsure of what that means, how are you supposed to know?

11. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I used to manage a Sam Goody store in Cleveland back in the early '90s. Local heroes The Michael Stanley Band had all of their EMI and Arista-era albums finally issued on CD for the first time by Razor & Tie. The band is such a big deal in Cleveland that we had local commercials on the radio to advertise that the MSB catalogue was now available in our stores. Some woman came in but left in a huff because she thought the commercial meant that we had paper catalogs about MSB for sale. I tried to explain, but she just wasn't having it.

The following can be filed under "not necessarily dumb, but still worthy of an eye roll or two":

A guy once came in and asked, "Do you have any 'Yoobi-Yo'?" I replied "UB40?" He said "No, it's dance music. Two girls; one of them looks like Sharon Stone." I replied "Ace Of Base?" and he exclaimed "That's it!!"

The Sony Midline CDs were packed in standard blue longboxes that featured a "Best Value" logo. Whenever prices changed on discs, we were instructed to black out the old price with a marker, and then put the new price sticker on top (this is when we'd change the list prices across the store for a certain product line from, say, $10.99 to $11.99). One guy picked up one of these CDs once, peeled back the little sticker, and saw the old price underneath (that a clerk had forgotten to mark out). He then lectured me for five minutes on how the $11.99 price was not representing a "best value."

I left retail in 1994 and never looked back.

12. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

Not exactly a record store but a music equipment store story: I was trying to find out how to get music from my stereo to my computer so I could put them onto a personal digital player I was thinking of buying. The kid I asked, and employee told me something about hsing a computer jack (can't remember the name of it-I'm not a computer guy) and I told him my stereo didn't have such a jack. I said it has RCA jacks and XLR jacks for left and right channels. He told me I have a weird stereo. I left immediately.

izgoblin likes this.
  13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

At my high school reunion not long ago, some guy thought it was funny that I was such a huge Neil Diamond fan when I was in school. No, I was a Neil YOUNG fan. Yes, I brought in Neil Young records and mentioned this often, but that's a totally different Neil. The best part is that when I tried to correct him, he maintained that *I* was remembering wrong and it was Neil Diamond that I was into.

I own 1 Neil Diamond LP and about 30 Neil Young LPs. But who knows, maybe I am just remembering incorrectly...

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If you're that defensive about an innocent valid question, I can only imagine how you are about more serious events in which you're also wrong.

izgoblin likes this.
  15. SixOClockBoos

and if you're really that critical of an opinion I can only imagine how critical you can get over something bigger. I'm wasting my time explaining my point and you have also wasted your own time trying to defend your stance

samskeyti likes this.
  16. SixOClockBoos

I'm pretty sure most people know what stereo so they can assume it's one speaker based on what stereo is. stereo albums are mixed in the Beatles section so just comparing a stereo album with a mono album based on the cover is enough justification

17. And what if you see an album like this? What then?

[​IMG]

18. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

For a birthday gift one year my dad bought me a "Bee Gees Complete" songbook.
    I had to explain, "Ummm, no dad. It's The Beatles I like."

PH416156 and izgoblin like this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

After seeing this thread I've decided to never again speak aloud in a record store lest I end up finding myself quoted here.

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I'm sure he meant Collins singing instead of Gabriel.
    I'm kinda with those dumb guys on this one ...

moj likes this.
  21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

one year or two after The Joshua Tree, a girl asked the guy behind the counter: "I'd like to buy the early U2 albums". Reply: "don't know if you'll like them, they're not very good. In the beginning they were a heavy metal group" :eek:

So, in one sentence the guy was able to bash Boy, War and the whole heavy metal genre! A true genius :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And there's a good possibility that that particular individual is a forum member! :D

Surly likes this.
  23. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Well, they're all wrong. And if you think that "music coming from one speaker" is a correct definition of mono, so are you.

Rufus McDufus and Zeki like this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Those XLR jacks - that's for Xtra Large RCA, right? (wink wink, nod nod) Those professional equipment people always want Extra Large, even though they think they are balanced, they are weird, for sure.

Runicen likes this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

i went into a record store in the 90's and asked the chick if they had any Waylon Jennings....
    she looked at me and said "whats? a Waylon Jennings"??
    :doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.