Duran Duran - Rio (First W Germany For USA CD - Early Loudness War Starting)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Analog4Ever, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analog4Ever

Analog4Ever New Member Thread Starter

Was listening to the original Duran Duran "Rio" CD that came in the longbox that I bought back in 1986 that was made in W Germany (CDP 7 46003 2, Matrix - SONOPRESS B-6073/CDP 7460032 B), and I gotta say this thing really sucks. It's blasted and dynamically it's over boosted causing almost near distortion at times. This is shocking for a disc from back then. So far to date, this is the earliest example of what was to come that I found. The disc I found documented as being made in 1984.

Sad part is, there might not be any good CD masterings of "Rio" out there and the best sounding version of this album as far as I know is vinyl. I was able to find one documentation of a 1982 CD pressing that came out of Japan, but I have never actually seen it.

And forget the recent remasters....i'll take this 1984 disc over those even. Those are so godly awful gives me a headache even tryin to listen (which is sad cause the latest actually includes the long awaited release of the U.S. mix of the album along with many other goodies, all destroyed by dynamic compression and too loud levels).

So for now, unless someone here knows something different....looks like the original Japan vinyl on Toshiba EMI is the best for quality (which I restored and transfered to CD-R and sounds great).

Anyone know of a good "official" CD pressing?

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

If you're that unhappy with the W. German CD pressing, I can't imagine you'd like any of the others. There is a Toshiba/EMI CD pressing that I feel is the best of the original CD issues. The 2001 remaster is terrible and loud. I personally like the 2009 remaster of Rio. The other 2009 Duran Duran reissues had issues but somehow they got Rio done right.

Dave likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Wouldn't the Japan use the same master/levels as the WG? Maybe not, @Analog4Ever I have that Sonopress WG, but mine is the GEMA rights CDP 7460032 A, all EAC levels are 100 but one, My old US CDP 546003 DIDY 000239, DIDX 239 4 on the hub has lower levels and may be of interest
    91.7/100/89.1/99.3/96.8/86.4/92.4/77.9/100

Yost and Simon A like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Senior Member

No, not necessarily.

c-eling likes this.
  5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm surprised to hear this about the Sonopress pressing. No-noise was just coming into use in '86 due to complaints from some about analog hiss from old analog recordings on the digital medium that folks thought should be hiss-free. Still, I didn't think heavy compression was being used back then.

The earlier West German Polygram pressing sounds pretty good, as does my Japanese CP35 disc (CBS/Sony pressing). I don't recall comparing them, however.

6. ted209

ted209 Forum Resident

The Pastmasters version of Rio sounds great to me (CP21-6047). It's the same mastering as the black triangle.

Peak levels:
    89.1/89.1/89.1/89.1/89.1/100.0/100.0/100.0/100.0

Yost and c-eling like this.
  7. c-eling

The US I listed above is my go-to, as I usually prefer the WG Sonopress of other cd's I have, Something is not quite right with this one as the OP stated, I'll have to track down a Japan or the Pastmasters as stated above, thanks for the info Keith and Ted :cheers:

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have a CDP 7 46003 2 "Made in WG" copy ( matrix reads: 746 003-2 2893 060 03 ). BIEM/GEMA on cd label.

peak levels are:

92.0 %
    100.0 %
    80.1 %
    97.3 %
    82.5 %
    100.0 %
    97.7 %
    85.8 %
    100.0 %

...looks like there are at least two different masterings for early WG editions of "Rio". I checked because I remember my copy as a nice sounding one and not having many 100% peaks

Yost and c-eling like this.
  9. c-eling

Thanks Marcel! Yours maybe the one Keith referred to, as yours does not have the A or B that must be the first press, good info :)

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) Hi. You're very welcome. Oh, and mine doesn't have a barcode.

11. Davey

Davey RIP Steve Albini (1962-2024)

I have the West German SONOPRESS CDP 7460032 A and it sounds great, most songs have the peaks set at max but good DR numbers, only one I've heard though ....

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Duran Duran / Rio
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR13  0.00 dB  -14.65 dB  5:39 01-Rio
    DR13  0.00 dB  -14.91 dB  4:51 02-My Own Way
    DR13  -0.52 dB  -15.43 dB  3:50 03-Lonely In Your Nightmare
    DR13  0.00 dB  -14.87 dB  3:41 04-Hungry Like The Wolf
    DR12  0.00 dB  -14.24 dB  3:49 05-Hold Back The Rain
    DR12  0.00 dB  -14.25 dB  5:33 06-New Religion
    DR12  0.00 dB  -13.82 dB  4:20 07-Last Chance On The Stairway
    DR11  0.00 dB  -13.72 dB  5:26 08-Save A Prayer
    DR12  0.00 dB  -13.78 dB  5:12 09-The Chauffeur

Number of tracks:  9
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:  44100 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  16
    Bitrate:  914 kbps
    Codec:  FLAC
    ================================================================================

princesskiki likes this.
  12. KeithH

This is the Polygram pressing with aluminum to the center hole. The Sonopress pressing came later.

Yost and PH416156 like this.
  13. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

I have a "Made in USA" BMG club disc that I purchased years ago. Overall it sounds....ok, although I've always been bothered by the sound of Rio (the song). To me, it sounds heavily NR-ed. I even recall a/b'ing it with the vinyl that I had when I first bought the cd, and that particular song left me thinking "whoa, what happened here?"

If I were to upgrade, what would be a logical choice?

14. c-eling

Muff had a Japan Pastmaster 1990 for sale I just ordered, OK that's it on Rio, this will be my seventh edition of this, no more! :D

15. KeithH

The West German Polygram pressing with catalog number CDP 7 46003 2 isn't too rare.

16. c-eling

You know Ascot, I was just doing a Rio listening shootout, between my three digital
    Hardcover 2 disc RM
    Old US CDP 546003 DIDY 000239, DIDX 239 4
    West German 2nd press
    Even though the EAC levels are lower on the US, this thing sounds like a tin can compared to the WG, no bottom end, I actually forgot how good the remaster 2disc is, non-fatiguing and nice clean bass, I think I would recommend the remaster also (which I normally don't do for standard remasters) , and might be easier to track down, but it seems the OP bailed out on us :laugh:, It may come down to personal preference I guess, they are each unique in there own way :)
    Edit:All tracks on disc 1 are under 100% most are around 98

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    ascot likes this.
  17. Analog4Ever

Analog4Ever New Member Thread Starter

Haven't bailed out here...just not been here since I started the post LOL So many opinions and many to chose from. I didn't like the 2009 at all...way too dynamically compressed and loud for my liking. Sounds like I might to try to hunt down this Japan Pastmaster from 1990 that a few mentioned and see if it's an improvement on or equal to the original Toshiba EMI vinyl (which as of now is the best sounding version of the album I have).

c-eling likes this.
  18. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Anyone know if the mastering is different between the JP Pastmaster and the JP BT?

19. c-eling

PastMaster Japan- (I used Hold Back The Rain For These)
    [​IMG]
    West German 2nd press
    [​IMG]
    The Old Standard US
    [​IMG]
    The Japan Pastmaster is somewhat quieter as a whole but not much
    @ToEhrIsHuman, according to post 6 it is :)

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  20. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Ok, cheers for that then! Must've missed that post somehow.

21. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Then there's those of us who need the versions that were on the US cassette we grew up listening to. They were available on the horribly remastered 2009 CDs, but I've found the Duran Singles box set sound better. I've pieced together my ultimate version using the 2003 CD, 2009 CD, and the Singles CDs.

22. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Hmm...not exactly sure what you have there - but I have this exact disc in the player right now...and it's sounds wonderful.

I went ahead and ripped it and the DR Analysis = 13. This disc (to me) exhibits no "loudness wars", blasting or distortion characteristics whatsoever.

The fact is - this a 1982 analog recording (that wasn't really that great even then) but there was no usage or concept of look-ahead brickwall limiters and dynamic range compression to ruin this when it was pressed by Sonopress in 1984.

The disc may very well be fat and punchy but I think it's a good thing.

VP

23. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Rio (and Arcadia - So Red The Rose) were done at Abbey Road by Steve Rooke and sound great. The other four (terrible) reissues were done later by someone else.

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.
  24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Rio was one of the first CDs produced. Maybe the third title by EMI (if the catalog number has any meaning)? You may not like the sound but it is definitely not a victim of the loudness wars.

Dave likes this.
  25. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Does anyone know any details about the new vinyl reissue of Rio, coming out later this month? Looks to be the same as the 2009 reissue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.