DV XX2 MK2: Phono Pre vs. TT Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Djohm, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking for some guidance from fellow enthusiasts. I have a "gently" used (40 hrs) DV XX2 MK2 on the way. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try a higher tier DV cart for $950. I would like to maximize the "new" cart's potential, and thought I'd run this by the community before moving forward with the upgrade path. I'm concerned that the P3's RB330 tonearm won't do the XX2 justice. Please see my current setup and upgrade wish list:

Current Setup:
    Rega P3, DV 20x2LOMC, Neo TTPSU, white belt
    Bob's Devices SKY 20
    Doge 8 Clarity 2017 ed. PSvane Treasure 12AX7 LS Super tube x4 in phono stage, 12AT7 Tii x4 in line stage
    Mystere PA11
    KEF R3

Primary Wish List:
    Technics SL1210GR
    Herron VTPH-2A (new or used)

Secondary Wish List:
    Yamaha AS3000 (used)

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Have a safe one!

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This seems like you're over thinking things to me. The Planar 6 uses the same tonearm. I own a Rega P5 with the RB700 arm on it. Back then the P5 shared the same tonearm as the P7. Time has passed and the Rega structuring has changed to the even numbering scheme for the higher tiers. So the 3 & 6 series now share the same tonearm. That being said, the RB330 is a superior tonearm to my RB700. I wouldn't be afraid to put any cartridge on that tonearm of any price. What I would tell you, if anything is going to hold you back, it's you stock subplatter. The phenolic subplatter introduces a lot of background noise. You might not think you need a new subplatter, but, of all the things I've done to my P5, replacing the subplatter with a $100 Deep Groove subplatter is the most significant upgrade. There are plenty of options out there including the Tango Spinner. I chose to go with the Deep Groove because it was an eBay purchase from within the USA and I had 20% coupon. My opinion of the current Planar 6 is that if you can afford it it over the Planar 3, you should buy the Planar 6. This mostly because they include an upgrade subplatter and the Neo. Outside of the UK, the Planar 6 is about the same price as Planar 3 with a Neo added on. The lighter plinth and improved platter are bonus improvement. But I'd wager the most significant upgrade over the Planar 3 is the better subplatter. The Neo while it adds performance, it's a very slight improvement.

3. Djohm

I'm glad to hear that the XX2 won't be much of an overkill for my P3. Being fairly new to the record/vinyl game, I wasn't sure if there's a certain ratio between the table and cart. You may be on to something about me overthinking it, :agree:.

In regards to the subplatter, I ordered a GT reference subplatter from MD this past Christmas. I had high expectations from all the rave reviews. Even though it brought on a lower background noise, I find the addition to have recessed the vocals of various female jazz records. I'm not sure if I'm describing that correctly. I ended up returning the GT subplatter, and settled with the stock subplatter for the time being as I preferred its overall sound. I am willing to revisit the upgrade and have looked into Tangospinner out of Argentina. Thank you for the lead on Deep Groove. I'll look into that.

4. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

If your arm/table has adjustment for tonearm height and for cartridge azimuth, then you should be good. If not, you likely won't able able to get the max performance from the DV XX2 Mk2. The line contact stylus of the DV XX2 requires bit more precision to dial it into its sweet spot (not like a Lyra but still). And FWIW, it does work very well with the Herron.

Djohm likes this.
  5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Based on UK prices P3 is £600 & XX2 is £1350 total same as a Rega P8
    & you will need spacers etc to dial in azimuth & VTA

Djohm likes this.
  6. Djohm

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Unfortunately, Rega P3 lacks the adjustment measures for the tonearm. I do have a 2mm spacer for the current cart, DV 20x2L, and it works well together. I guess I do have some apprehension with removing the current cart, and installing the XX2 MK2 on there. Its been a year since I installed the current one in place. Not to mention the precision it requires. Ugh.

I got this deck off an auction for $556 including the 20x2L with ~200hrs on it. First thing I did was upgrade to Neo ($200 used) and the white belt ($37 A.S.). Tried the Groovetracer reference subplatter, but I didn't like the result. I'd like to try the Tangospinner to maximize the benefit of the XX2 MK2. I wouldn't mind optimizing the P3 further as I feel I'm quite ahead (cost-wise) for the deck and what it delivers. First I'll try out the XX2 on it, and go from there.

If its not sounding right, I can always have that excuse to get the Technics SL1210GR for its tonearm adjustment capabilities :D.

7. Djohm

Anyone here have the DV XX2 MK2 mounted on their P3? I would love to hear your thoughts and tips on its installation. Thank you.

8. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Have you considered just changing to an Origin Live tonearm? That would give the 'table quite a jump in quality. I've moved different versions of the tonearm (1, 2, 3A) around from a Rega Planar 3 over to a Nottingham and a Teres. I've always found the tonearm of paramount importance, frequently more than the 'table. I've had Sotas, a Goldmund, Versa Dynamics (from the 90s) and a few other turntables, and the tonearms I'd put on (SME V, Goldmund T3F, Graham) always brought the musical insight to a much higher level and just made the whole listening experience more engaging.

Oh, by the way, I had an XX2 on the Rega, (the Hana ML is what I'm listening to now), although I have a DV 20x2-L, too. When I moved the XX2 onto the Origin Silver and then that combo onto the Rega, the Dynavector show its appreciation instantly.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Djohm and chipcalzada like this.
  9. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Djohm likes this.
  10. Djohm

Thank you for the recommendations. Looked into Origin Live and its highly regarded. Specially the Silver mentioned above. When I acquired my current TT with the included cart, I was ecstatic as I thought I got lucky for getting the P3 with the DV 20x2L included for the price I paid. When I looked into the price of the cart itself, I remember telling myself I would never pay for a cart at such prices. Here I am a year later, I'm venturing to a place where I never thought I'd be in. The joy of our hobby!

Looking at the prices of the tonearms, its pricey to say the least, but I believe the aural benefits it brings. It looks pretty straight forward to replace. Who knows...

11. Djohm

Thank you Daytona for the link.. interesting how in-depth one can go with upgrading their Rega decks.

Btw, I just ordered the Tangospinner subplatter. Can't wait to try that again. I'll be surprised if the addition of TS differs with my experience with GT.

12. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

That reminds me of when I discovered High End audio and bought some Spica TC-50s, but they didn't sound as good as they did at the dealer's. When I asked why (I had also, by then, bought an amp (a B&K) and turntable from them), they politely informed me that my amp didn't "do" dynamic contrasts. So I asked, well what would I have to spend to get an amp that does "do" dynamic contrasts?
    They replied, "A thousand dollars." I remember exactly what I said: "I would NEVER spend a thousand dollars on an amplifier.You must be crazy!!"

(Sigh.) Two years later....I caved. Jumped from VTL 100s to the VTL 300s ($5,000) (HP said they were IT!!!!) Two years after that, a Convergent Reference SL-1 (I'd already gotten WATTS by 1987, well ahead of the legend the WATTS became. And Dave Wilson was a neighbor...) then the Goldmund Mimesis amp ($12,000) (I could hear the WALLS and floor of the Moscow Auditorium! I was mad for it!) Years later, (after the Versa Dynamics turntable, which I purchased RIGHT AFTER the San Francisco earthquake of 1989 (hey, you never know when your time is up, and it was a sign from Heaven! LIVE NOW, while you can, child of man!)) Big Goldmund Speakers to go with the amp. And towards the "end," (ha!) a VAC 70/70 (also $12,000). A Clearaudio Signature, then Accurate, then Insider!!! And the list went on. It was an addiction. I burned out by 1999, just in time for the New Millenium.

When you hear music that sounds like it's occurring in front of your eyes, the seduction is made easier. My business partner at the time (late 80s, early 90s) just shook his head when I told him the latest equipment I had bought (Goldmund, Clearaudios, Infinity, Wilson WATT/Puppy, VACs). To use the words of an audiophile's wife, who wrote a letter in The Absolute Sound, her husband told her, "I got another one from Pearson's list!" As she put it, "That's like buying something from Tiffany's: Only you wish the prices were as low as Tiffanys..." But it came back on me. I couldn't hear the sneeze from the second violinist in Scheherazade! What was wrong with my system??!?!?

Oh yeah, after then turning into an audio writer for TAS, and then an editor at the now defunct - but wonderful - Fi magazine. I burned out. It only took 15 years. My love of music never left me, however, so I still enjoyed listening on a table radio! But yes, you can be seduced. The lure of The Force is strong in audio!
    I rarely buy anything "new" now. (Well, except for my Hana ML....) Used is just fine with me. I get hives if I actually see something online and go to buy it brand new. Brings back my audio PTSD...

But you're probably young and impressionable. Don't you really want that Origin Live Silver tonearm? I guarantee, it will make your jaw drop (and it's not really expensive; not like an SME V was (and it's way more open up top than the SME V could even dream of being...)) Don't you want to hear your music in all its glory? Want some candy, Little Boy? :laughup:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Mad shadows likes this.
  13. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I have one on a P6 - same tone arm. I have a 2mm spacer installed.

This is the cart I purchased when I bought the turntable. I considered the 20x2 but decided to bite the bullet.

I am very happy, but I was moving from a 20 year old project 6.1 with a 10X5 so it was a big step up.

Djohm likes this.
  14. Djohm

Not quite that young and impressionable, just keeping an open mind and ears. At the end of the day, I have to be mindful and considerate of the overall budget. But yeah, driving home yesterday I thought to myself that I didn't anticipate of having a 2.0 system when I built the theater room. Recently, I contemplated in just converting it solely as a music room, but my family enjoys our time in there with watching movies. Theater will have to stay for now :).

Your partner reminded me of my brother in law this past weekend when he saw me looking at an album I just acquired from a local record shop. A Love Supreme original press in excellent condition for $75. He just shook his head. :shake:

15. Djohm

Thank you Lowgroove for sharing your experience with the P6 and XX2. Hope to duplicate the same experience with the current tonearm and spacer I have in place. With the mods I've already done to my P3 (Neo/white belt) and the arrival of Tangospinner subplatter tomorrow (quick shipping from Argentina), it should be pretty close to the P6 level.

Lowgroove likes this.
  16. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

Well, Djohm. "Young and impresssionable" - to me - is anyone under 60. And I am waaayyy past that age even...

Even if you have the funds, you have to be sensible, or it becomes less a hobby or pleasant past time, and more of an addiction.

edwyun likes this.
  17. Djohm

Got the DV XX2 MK2 mounted... I have to admit, I took my time as I was nervous installing my first "expensive to me" cart. First up, Kind of Blue. As soon as the stylus hits the record, I knew I was in for a treat. Brass notes were, sorry for the cliche, airy. The cymbals appeared to hit the higher end of the spectrum. Most definitely a more refined cart compared to the 20x2L it displaced. Midway to Flamenco Sketches I uttered the word "daammn" that left a smile on my face. The simple, but expensive, joy this hobby brings to most enthusiast makes it worth while.

Cassius, NorthNY Mark and ThorensSme like this.
  18. Djohm

The Rega's RB330 arm with XX2 MMK2 did not leave me wondering if I should upgrade my table next. The current pairing should hold me over for a while. I'm glad I went ahead and ordered the Tangospinner subplatter. I was skeptical to the effects it will add to my system, as the previous subplatter upgrade from Groovetracer caused the vocals to sit too far back for my liking. Not with TS, it kept the soundstage just right for me. Vocals are right in the center of the stage without being forward. Plus, the new subplatter kept the NEO exactly at 33.33 rpm.

On to the next piece of the puzzle... :winkgrin:

19. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Hi, just considering this cartridge for myself down the road. Did you end up using any shims for your XX2 on the P3?

20. Keith Beddard

Keith Beddard Forum Resident

The XX2 is shown as being 18.7mm high, 4.7mm higher than a Rega cart. You would probably want a 4mm shim under the tonearm base to even it out for best VTA.

21. ThorensSme

I appreciate the input, but Rega LOMC carts are 16mm. I’m wondering if the OP felt the need for them on his deck.

22. Djohm

Hi ThorenSme, I do have a 2mm shim that was on there with the previous DV 20X2L and left it on for the XX2 MK2. The tonearm sits level with the record on the platter and it sounds right to me with no distortion or exaggerated frequencies. I focused on having the cantilever dead set centered and I'm glad I did. I do love the DV sound signature along with my DV P75 MK4 phono stage. I'm sure that can easily be bettered, but I'm good with my current setup for another year or two until I finish graduate school.

XX2 MK4 is definitely a much refined cart compared to the 20x2L, but the latter is no slouch and I would've been happy with it if I didn't come across a good price on the XX2.

Good luck on your journey.

ThorensSme likes this.
  23. ThorensSme

much appreciation for the follow up!

Djohm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.