Dvd to CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wilejoe, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident Thread Starter

A good evening to all.
    Can I take a DVD of a concert and just "pull out" the music and put it on a cd for listening to just the music ???
    thanks

2. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

You have options. CNET says this: Ripping audio from concert DVDs: Ask the Editors
    You can also copy the DVD onto CD via a standalone recorder. To do that, the CDR would have to support a sampling rate that the DVD outputs. I do not know if copy protection would kick in. (I have a CDR that defeats it, anyway.) I myself hacked through the transfer process rather inelegantly, using a variety of gear.

wilejoe likes this.
  3. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

For what application? Listening at home? Car? Portable? Gym/running? As others posted, you can rip the tracks. Then again you can probably find the same thing on YouTube which may be faster albeit not sound as good. And if you're listening at home, way easier to just play the DVD and ignore the picture.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's probably more of a matter of enjoying the music in the same context one enjoys all his other music.

wilejoe likes this.
  6. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Assuming the DVD is commercially produced, you'll almost certainly need specific software to defeat the copy protection in order to rip it. If it was a concert put together on an amateur/enthusiast level (or for non-commercial purposes) without any CSS protection, then ripping is even easier.

As far as taking the audio contents and burning straight to CD, it depends on how you intend to play it back. If merely as a CD-Rom disc full of files played back in a DVD/Blu-ray player, then that will just depend on the model of your player, but the majority of them will recognise discs containing audio files. If you wanted to play it back as a bone fide CD (ie Red Book) then there's a strong chance that there'll be an incompatibility between sample rates. For the most part, 'video' audio i.e. that of DVD/Blu-ray etc is usually 48kHz (or multiples of) whilst CD is 44.1kHz.

In order to do this, the files will have to be down-sampled to 44.1kHz either before or as part of the process of being burned to CD.

wilejoe likes this.
  7. frummox

frummox Forum Resident

Perhaps not the best way to do it but I've used Audio HiJack in the past to play things back and grab the system audio as a file.

8. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help.
    Was thinking of buying The Grateful Dead. Downhill from Here dvd
    99% of the time would just listen to the music and I have a music only stereo system that hopefully I will be slowly upgrading soon

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I just play the audio into a Zoom H6, then go from there.
    I don't have much luck with computers, free ripping programs etc etc.

wilejoe likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Both DVDShrink and DVDFab do this, as well as removing the zonal restriction (turns them into region O). The you can use DVD Audio Extractor to rip the songs to audio-only and burn to cd.

JimmyCool, patient_ot and wilejoe like this.
  11. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Been using DVD Audio Extractor and AnyDVD for years, my friend :)

wilejoe likes this.
  12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

frummox likes this.
  13. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.