Dylan Mono: Music On Vinyl same as Box Set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by matt79rome89, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a bad nick/skip on Freewheelin' from the 2010 Bob Dylan Mono vinyl box. Looking to replace it and know that Music On Vinyl sells them individually. Does anyone know for certain if the MOV version is the exact same as the box set? RTI pressing? If anyone has any of the MOV versions please share pressing and deadwax info.

I know there's not much difference but I don't want the Sundazed version.

Thanks.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No it's not.

I think forum member James Glennon is the expert here.

From memory it seems the MOV versions are different masterings, but done at the same time under the supervision of whoever did the box, so they should be roughly the same, but a bit different.

3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I bought MOV's Blonde on Blonde and found the deadwax had STERLING RKS, I contacted Michael Fremer (always very helpful) regarding the Music On Vinyl Bob Dylan Mono reissues, and here is what he said...

''I've got your answer from box producer Steve Berkowitz and from Greg Calbi:

''RKS - Ryan Smith - is an engineer who works @ Sterling Sound in NYC as a mastering engineer. He sometimes works with and in accordance with George Marino.

''The U.S.A. versions of the MONO Bob Dylan LP's, recently released by Sony/Legacy, were supervized, eq'd and cut by George Marino @ Sterling Sound, NYC.
    The MOV Euro vinyl versions were supervized and eq'd by George Marino, and cut in the same room - on the same lathe by Ryan Smith @ Sterling Sound, NYC. So the MOV have the same sources - same eq - same lathe - same process - ideally planned to have the same result.''

JG

Bryce likes this.
  4. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Perfect. Thanks.

5. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Also, pressed at Record Industry, not RTI, and you find Music on Vinyl's logo on the packaging and label. So, a near match but not identical.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't quite understand why there were these two separate masterings of the album going on at the same time in the same studio.

cc-- likes this.
  7. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

I agree.....seems strange. Anyone know which sound better? I have the Mono Box on my want list. Been meaning to pick it up for $100 off retail at popmarket.

8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Here's the deadwax info for "Freewheelin' Bob Dylan" from both the MOV and the mono box set:

Mono Box set...
    Side A: 88697761051-LP2-A STERLING 19458.1(3)...
    Side B: 88697761051-LP2-B STERLING 19458.2(3)--

MOV...
    Side A: 88697761051-LP2-A STERLING RKS 88013 1A MOVLP240
    Side B: 88697761051-LP2-B STERLING RKS 88013 1B MOVLP 240

I had four of the MOVs before I bought the complete Mono Box, and they all had very short lead-in, meaning the music starts already in the lead-in grooves, very very close to the edge. I only bought them because the Mono Box is very expensive in Europe (200 €, that's about 274 $), but then I finally ordered one on amazon.com, payed customs and it was just under 100 €). Note that while the record covers look the same (even the colours are identical), the MOV uses thin cheap cardboard, no paste-over back cover and there's none of the extras inside.

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I know that Michael Fremer used to talk about Sterling doing 2 different cuts of "Tea For The Tillerman" for both Island and A&M. Of cource the Island sounds better due to better plating and pressing. I guess it was done so Sony wound't have to send copytapes to the mastering house in the UK so it's better to do a separate cut for the UK.

10. James Glennon

Maybe MOV realise that us vinyl lovers are canny and asked to have their own stampers made for pressing.

The MOV Jimi Hendrix titles all had the analog stickers on the covers but clearly weren't because the Sony/Legacy US Lps were cut at Sterling Sound, whereas the deadwax of the MOV Hendrix LPs clearly weren't.

JG

11. James Glennon

Methinks they would have sent high res digital files, but MOV were on the ball on the Dylan Monos requesting Sterling stampers for pressing. Let's hope MOV do this more often.

When I checked the MOV Hendrix titles, none of them had Sterling in the deadwax, while the front covers of their LPs had the same stickers as the Sony/Legacy US pressings which were cut at Sterling.

JG

12. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

13. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

Has any one compared MOV vinyl to the box set. Are there big differences? I have MOV Highway 61 Revisited and I think it sounds good. I've been thinking about getting the mono vinyl box. I have the CD box, is the vinyl box a big improvement over the cd counterpart? :)

14. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

I got the Mono Box set for Christmas and all my records match the MOV releases. Since my box is not numbered I wonder if non-numbered boxes all have the MOV masterings?

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. 30ips

30ips Forum Resident

This, I think. I just bought the vinyl box from amazon and have the MOV deadwax, and the vinyl was not pressed at RTI (no pink sleeves). However, the jackets are correct with paste overs and proper inserts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.