Dylan & The Dead is underrated

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rubberpigg, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

really? I think it's rated perfectly...

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm a Dylan fan and I'm a Dead fan. Dylan and the Dead? No. No. NO.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Yeah, it's good. Queen Jane and I Want You spring to mind as the highlights.

Postcards from the Hanging even better!

4. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

The rendition of 'I Want You' is a true keeper, and a must hear... the rest of the CD is relatively uninspired.

5. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love Dylan and The Dead but find this album lifeless as well.
    I always hold out hope they have something magical in the vault.
    Glen

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes, the 7-4-87 performance of "Joey" was the live debut, 21 and 1/2 years after "Desire". It showed up in Dylan's live set sporadically in the early years of the Never-Ending Tour after that. Unfortunately at the Philly show (7-10) Dylan stumbled over the verses and Joey got bumped off a couple minutes into the song, coming back to life for the rest of the song.

dino77 and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  7. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I've always loved Slow Train & Gotta Serve Somebody. I never listened to the other stuff after the 1st time I heard it.

trd likes this.
  8. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Lifelong Dylan fan and this is one I have to say was sub par. Didn't seem like either of them were anywhere near their best. On the flip side, I think the album he did with the Dead, Down In The Groove was under rated. Though a bit up and down, I think the tracks when did you leave heaven, death is not the end, silvio, 90 miles an hour down a dead end street, and especially rank strangers to me were all very good. I still listen to them regularly.

9. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I've always loved the version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" on the Dylan and the Dead album, particularly Brent's piano at the end of the song. To me the album is worth having just for that song.

windfall likes this.
  10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Also Shenadoah is a nice little number.

D.B. likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t hate it. But find the album to be one of Dylans least enjoyable releases.
    But s-t happens

12. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

The "Man of Peace" rehearsal is included on Postcards of the Hanging, the GD compilation of Dylan covers...

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Listen to the intro to Queen Jane nice and loud on a good system -- vinyl if you please.

Notice how majestic the entire things sounds, and dig that deep deep bass response. It really does capture the stage sound in a stunning way. Make sure it's good and loud!

Then Bob comes in with that killer sympathetic opening line "Well your mother sent back all your invitations" he is setting up the ultimate reasons for strong teenage rebellion. "And your father to your sister he explains"

This is magical performance captured exquisitely.

Now if they had dropped Joey and added two or three more shorter tunes it would have been a much better album. Jerry Garcia came the closest to Jimi on Watchtower than anyone else ever could.

B+

skybluestoday and Lonson like this.
  14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I especially don't like the drumming. Dead try to lazy-jam their way through Bob's back catalogue and Bob himself is not on top form. It's quite listenable though.

Carserguev and Tony Sclafani like this.
  15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

It's an atrocious album. As a Dylan completist, it's in my collection, but each time I was listening to it, I fell asleep.
    He was about to give up music at that point in his career and the album clearly refelcts why.

majorlance likes this.
  16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

It's an atrocious album. As a Dylan completist, it's in my collection, but each time I was listening to it, I fell asleep.
    He was about to give up music at that point in his career and the album clearly refelcts why.

majorlance likes this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I like this album. It could have been much better given the performances from which they could choose and the rehearsals which contained amazing stuff. I have read that Dylan vetoed a lot of stuff in a way that may have not been understood. But what is on there is fine in my humble opinion. Doesn't deserve the bad rap but boy would I like to see a release of the rehearsals in a non-bootleg with proper sound or maybe a re-do of the album into a triple vinyl for the 50 year projects. No veto power allowed with a producer who takes a fan's approach to all the material.

18. Underrated because it's not even the worst Dylan live album. I'd much rather listen to this than to Hard Rain, At Budokan or Real Live. If even Dylan himself has recorded not 1 but 3 live albums that are a lot worse and a lot more pointless than this one, the title "one of the worst live albums ever" is unfair. The Dead actually play pretty well on Slow Train and All Along The Watchtower. I must say in my opinion only Joey is truly awful.

Frittenköter, JRM and Lonson like this.
  19. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I like it but it's too short -- and given how short, maybe not the best song selection -- I always felt it should be a double album. I love I Want You and how Bob sings on it!

20. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I dig all those Dylan live albums, particularly real live for the Mick Taylor, this thing with the Dead is a real turd, I have a lot of the rehearsals for these shows and even they sound like crap. the problem is bob is a horrible guitar player and doesn't know how to play in time....I saw the first live show dylan ever played with the dead, as a guest, at Akron 7-2-86 playing Don't Think Twice, a magical moment...a few days later in D.C. It sucked, but that later stuff is even worse, given Dylan's random timing and the horrible no beat of the dead's 2 drummers circa the eighties (remember 1973? The best dead is without mickey hart) so I'll pass on this release, unless someone wants to buy a cheap 32DP Jp first press and then I'll listen to it...or maybe I'll just have to get it and listen again, life is too short

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    stef1205 and majorlance like this.
  21. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I heard a couple other recordings from the tour and they were much better than the album. That said, there is so much better Dylan, and Dead for that matter, that I haven't wanted to listen to it for years.

rcdupre and Erik B. like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is the only Dylan album that is safe to criticize. I find that odd. I dare anyone to start a thread about any Dylan Album (other than this) and say something remotely negative. You will get pounced on. Hell, if you regard Shadows in the night as anything less than remarkable, Dylan fans loose their minds.

Dylan and the Dead is way better than Shadows for the simple reason it actually has Dylan songs on it.

I think there is an odd sense of competition with some Dylan fan and the dead. I remember in 99 when Phil opened for Bob, many fans were really nasty towards the fans that came to see Phil.

majorlance likes this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I agree with all this post.

24. RayS

The '86 show in DC Dylan came out for "Desolation Row". Apart from forgetting some lyrics (that Weir was able to help with), I thought it was awesome. I used to listen to that performance all the time.

25. RayS

A fun moment from the rehearsals, with Jerry on banjo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.