DCC Archive Dylan's Hurricane

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

2. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I thought many of his arguments were ridiculous.
    "If Dylan had adhered to the standards of ethics and accuracy that are followed by good newspaper reporters, this would be a much different song."
    That's right. It's a song.
    Also, isn't good newspaper reporter an oxymoron?

3. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

When Dylan performed Hurricane on the PBS "Tribute to John Hammond" his lawyers requested he change some of the lyrics to the song. Dylan redubbed portions and far off camera shots were used to hide the edits.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Great song. Also one of my favorite Dylan Albums.

Too bad the movie stunk....

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

No. This is highly insulting, as I used to be a newspaper reporter, and my wife is one as well ...

There are plenty of excellent journalists out there.

6. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

"Also, isn't good newspaper reporter an oxymoron?"

That's so funny...and true. Have you read Bernard Goldberg's (25 year CBS award winning reporter) best-selling new book "Bias" that finally exposes the left bias in media? Devastating!

7. Matt

Matt New Member

There are bad newsmen out there, but don't fall in that ridiculous political cliche of "beware the media." First of all, look at the Wall Street Journal, or the Chicago Tribune, or better yet, FOX News. Not exactly a bunch of 'pinkos.'

Second, I don't mind a slight bias from the left or right; the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times are damn good papers who make convincing arguments on both sides. What IS disturbing is the sensationalism and dumbing down of the news in the last two decades. First USA Today (wow. What interesting, useless polls and statistics.) got the ball rolling. Then, look at CNN and then Fox News, or just about anything owned by Rupert Murdoch. (When Royko jumped over to the Tribune from the Sun-Times, it was because of Murdoch). Everything is packaged like product. The worst reporting I saw on Sept. 11 happened when one of these guys (I think it was O'Reilly, I'm not sure) mentioned how they had such horrific footage of the attack, they couldn't show it. Guess what? As he says this, they broadcast that footage. Afterwards, his surprise was obvious ("Uh, I guess we are going to show it...")

People bash the media for this and that, but honestly, the public's creating the monster. USA Today is the best selling paper of all-time, and for more than a year, Fox News has become the most popular over other networks like NBC (who pretty much became number one with dumb newsmagazine shows).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.