EAC and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by curbach, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet Thread Starter

Is anyone successfully using EAC with Windows 10? I just got a new PC with Win 10, and EAC seems to run into contention problems when trying to use the disc drive. I notice the EAC site is conspicuously silent about Win 10, so may be I should just wait for an update.

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Zero problems here with EAC and Windows 10.

mando_dan and Grant like this.
  3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

No probs - two laptops, one desktop.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No problems here at all with the combination.

Grant likes this.
  5. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Works fine for me. Can you give more information? (error messages, 32 or 64bit Windows etc.)

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Only did the Windows 10 upgrade this week, but have run about a dozen discs through EAC with zero issues.

Grant likes this.
  7. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I've been waiting on Windows 10 for exactly these types of concerns. Thanks to those who mentioned that EAC seems to be working for you as that's a big help.

-Richard

8. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Which version of EAC?

9. curbach

Ok, so I'm a dummy and forgot to disable auto-detect. With auto-detect disabled, I was able to set up EAC properly. But. . . After shutting EAC down I can't get it to restart. It just hangs on the "EAC is starting up" message. It was doing this before, but I assumed it was because I wasn't completing the install properly. (Only way it restarts is to uninstall and reinstall). Hhhmmmm. Anyway this new Win 10 PC has more issues than this. After spending some quality time with HP support it looks like I'll be doing a full restore and starting over. Another fine product from HP and Microsoft!

10. curbach

Further update: I was able to get EAC to open and close correctly with the "Troubleshooting Compatibilty" option on right click. I had to tell Windows it last worked in Vista (what my old PC was running), and the problem was solved. At least now I'll know what to do when I reinstall after the system restore. . .

Dino likes this.
  11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Not ready for the jump to 10 - I'm more than happy with Win 7 Pro. BUT.........in the back of my mind...always wondering what will NOT work with the new OP System. And we all know the compatibility mode isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Dave likes this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I just installed EAC on my Envy running 10. It took a restart to recognize the drive but seems to be working fine.

13. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

How long should I let EAC run before giving up on a track?
    I have been trying to recover one track for 36 hours now and the test estimates it will take another 56 hours.
    Life is too short, I think I just need to find another copy of the CD.

14. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

36 HOURS! OMG, yeah, give up!

When you start talking about “hours” to rip, it’s time to give up.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. ERobillard

ERobillard Active Member

Same problem, EAC was working fine last time I fired it up, now it seems to have contention issues and freezes on startup. Latest EAC (1.1), tried reinstalling. Rebooted a half dozen times. Same external Samsung CD/DVD/BluRay drive I've always used. I'm sure it's worked with Win 10 before, but not today. My machine will have updates up-to-date, so wondering if this was triggered by a recent patch. Ideas?

16. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I have an issue with EAC since I got my new pc that has Windows 10. If a track name has an apostrophe instead of displaying the character ' it shows as ' It is pretty frustrating and I would appreciate it if anyone has a fix to share.

Russ

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

This is an issue that's manifested itself over the past week, its related to CTDB which EAC is using to pull the tag information for each disc. Something changed serverside and now CTDB can't interpret the data correctly anymore. Been quite a bit of a hassle for me as I've been ripping some classical discs over the past week where many titles are littered with special characters like apostrophes and ampersands.

From what I understand the cuetools dev is working on a fix.

PhilBiker and Dino like this.
  18. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply! I set up my new pc last Tuesday and I presumed that it was an issue related to that. I ripped all four discs to the Richard Thompson Walking on Wire box set. Lots of apostrophes. Great boxed set, though. I got it on Popmarket for $18 with free shipping. I have nearly everything on it but is a very sweet package.

MrRom92 likes this.
  19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Just coincidence/bad timing on your behalf :p it's affecting everyone, so I hope it's something that gets resolved soon, although the developer is actually on vacation at the moment so I imagine we'll probably have to give it another week or two… luckily I don't imagine it'll affect most discs too badly to the point where it'll be a big hassle to correct everything, but for discs like we're dealing with at the moment, easiest thing might be to just hold off for a little bit

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Turn off auto-play/auto-run in Windows. It does nothing useful.

21. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I was able to use EAC for a while after upgrading to Windows 10, but not now. I've been using MusicBee to rip CDs lately.

22. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I've been ripping with dBpoweramp for the last few years, but I installed the new version of EAC on Windows 10 Anniversary Edition and it worked fine for me. Lots of taggers have trouble with apostrophes, although dBp does not.

23. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident

Or, another drive. It's amazing how often a disk that takes forever to rip or won't rip at all on one drive, will do so without issue on a different drive.

Sevoflurane and PhilBiker like this.
  24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The only issue I have had is when I first start EAC. In order to get EAC to recognize that I have a cd in the drive, I have to put the disc in the drive before I start EAC. Afterwards, I can continue to import more CDs so long as I don't x out of it. Once I do, I have to have a disc in the drive first before reopening it.

Other then that, I have had no issues. As a matter of fact I just got through importing two CDs. Everything worked fine.

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Yup. I keep an old CD-ROM drive handy for just this occasion. Happens often that the (crappy) DVD drive in my computer won't read a scratchy disc from a Thrift but the old EISA CD-ROM drive will read it no problem. I use a USB connector to connect the old drive to my computer. (The USB connector is handy for connecting hard disk drives, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.