EAC freedb ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chip-hp, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

I use EAC to copy tracks from commercial CDs to my HD ... when I first downloaded EAC about a year ago, I could transfer the track info from freedb.org using the Database/Get CDInformation From/Remote freedb ... but a week or so ago I started getting "Error - Server error" when I try to get the track info ... I couldn't find any info on EAC or freedb ... can anybody help?

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Chipper, Im getting the same error, and with popular commercial discs, too.

I think the RIAA has shut Freeddb down.

I was gonna ask why extracting the song info from the Cd itself doesnt work...isnt it on there for certain playrs to read?

3. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

My EAC works just fine. Try "EAC/freedb options/Get active freedb servers list" and try again.

-Markus

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

FreeDB is still around

5. chip-hp

Re: Re: EAC freedb ?

Thanks, Markus ... I still got the error message after taking your suggestion ... but I was able to manually connect to one of the servers that provided the track info.

6. RetroSmith

Chip.....how does one manually connect?

7. BradOlson

The FreeDB features in Nero are not that great but the freeDB features in dBPowerAmp (an audio file converter)'s DMC Audio CD Input program that comes with the converter are top notch and the program is freeware: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

The freeDB database entry will be stored in cdplayer.ini, etc. so that it can be imported to the CD burning programs that use a database. MusicMatch uses the Gracenote/CDDB database and it stores the data in the same places.

go to www.freedb.org for more info and support on freeDB

8. BradOlson

The above may help with EAC as well. I checked the FreeDB database using the features in Nero on Mason Williams Phonograph Record and gotten only the artist, but I used dmc and it worked wonders.

9. chip-hp

Do "EAC/freedb options and click the black triangle just above the "Get active freedb servers list" button and select

http://freedb.freedb.de:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

from the list of options.

This worked for me ... hopefully it will work for you.

10. RetroSmith

It sure did...thanks bro!!

11. BradOlson

I tried Nero's freedb lookup using Nero on Disky's Golden Greats: Greatest Country Classics disc 1 of 3 and it worked fine. I fixed some errors in the database entry using dBpowerAMP and sent it back in as supposedly, Nero has submission but there is no button saying submit. Download dBpoweramp as an alternative if you must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.