DCC Archive Eagles-The Ted Jensen Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Winston, Oct 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny you say that - for China grove, I find the sound harsher on the gold disc. My ears don't hurt when I hear it, but they do get stressed. Not the case with the ROT70's version...

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's just what I was about to get to, the two CDs were EQ'd differently.

Now, about that stereo/mono debate...

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Hmmm, which ROT70's is that on?

Anyway I'm very happy with the gold disc, since being a Doobie fan from the first album on. I wouldn't place it at the level of say, Court And Spark or Dreamboat Annie, but it's still the best I've heard.

Anomolies or no, Listen To The Music still sounds great through my Senn HD580s. If only Another Park and Cottonmouth had made the cut...

4. wes

wes Senior Member

Well, I actually love the new Cat Stevens remasters. I think they're great. I like the new Tea For The Tillerman better than the MOFI gold cd. Don't know about his Eagle stuff though. I haven't heard it.

-Wes

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Vol 2. A very nice disc...

6. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Oh. Earlier this week I just had another half.com flake cancel out on their listing, but just ordered a copy from Amazon. :cool:

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wes writes:

"I like the new Tea For The Tillerman better than the MOFI gold cd."

Wes, that's a pretty interesting preference given the reputation of the MFSL CD and the kind of prices it brings on eBay. Do you want to run that by me one more time? Can you point out any specifics in your comparison of the two versions? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I love "Tea For The Tillerman" and have thought about buying the MFSL at auction a couple of times, but the price goes too high for me. If the reissue is all you say, I'd be very tempted to get that.

Regards,
    Metralla

8. Dob

Dob New Member

I compared the MFSL (CD) Tea, Teaser, and Numbers to the corresponding remasters, and I preferred the MFSL in every case. The MFSLs have a very rich, smooth sound, and the remasters sound thin and toppy in comparison.

This may be a question of taste, as the remasters seemed to have as much detail as the MFSLs. However, even my non-audiophile wife (and big Cat Stevens fan) immediately preferred the MFSLs in a blind test - FWIW.

I have the Mona Bone Jakon, Catch Bull At Four, and Foreigner remasters, and I EQ the treble down a bit (plus some bass boost, maybe) when I spin them. Can't really complain about the resulting sound...

A lot of CDs (most of them are "remasters" - hmmmm) sound better with some treble rolloff to get rid of that "glare".

Metralla, you may be happy with the remasters, but if you're like me, you probably won't be satisfied until you do your own comparison.

Dob

9. wes

wes Senior Member

Hello Metralla, well, I'd have to put them in side by side again to give a more detailed comparison.

But from what I recall, the mofi version seemed less dynamic. I could just hear more. Catch A Bull at Four, was noticeably brighter than Tea For The Tillerman. That one coulda been boosted. When I get home I'll do a comparison again....

Metralla, don't spend over 50 dollars on the mofi, unless you just have to have it. I still prefer the remastered TFT.

-Wes

10. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

I really like the sound of the remastered (Jensen) Cat Stevens-Mona Bone Jakon & Tea For The Tillerman. The vocals and guitar sounds are terrific. If I knew more about "Guitar Picks", I could probably tell you the exact one Cat (Yusef) is using. I don't have other CDs to A/B these with, but I would give 'em a big "thumbs up"! :D

11. wes

wes Senior Member

Okay I compared them again.

The Jensen version is louder, more detailed, more dynamic overall.

-Wes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.