Ear plugs for concerts: Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 or Alpine Music Safe Earplugs ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tuttle, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all:

Recent forum discussions have me thinking about plugs again. I regularly use ear plugs at concerts, but I'm thinking of trying a different type. These two have been mentioned in the SH forums, and price is similar at less than $20:

Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20
    http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

Alpine Music Safe Earplugs
    http://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/musicsafe-pro/

On another forum, someone wrote:
    Has anyone tried both of them and can comment and compare them?

2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Before I got my custom plugs (which I love and were absolutely worth every penny), I had a pair of the Etymotics. They did a good job of protecting my hearing, but I never thought they sounded all that great.

auburn278 likes this.
  3. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

where did you get your custom plugs?

4. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I've been using the Etymotics for a few years now and I don't think they sound that great either. I usually have to pull them out of my ear slightly to let some highs through. Very interested in the customs.

5. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I own both the Etymotics and the Alpines. The Alpines are definitely more discrete and more comfortable to wear, especially if you have narrower/shorter ear canals than average. Plus it is very convenient being able to change out the attenuation/EQ filters to suit your individual tastes and/or and listening environment. So I'd recommend the Alpines all the way.

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Sensaphonics (http://www.sensaphonics.com/?p=331). They are based here in Chicago, but you can get the hearing test & molds done at just about any audiologist. You get custom molded earpieces and then can choose which inserts to put in (ie, how many db you want cut). I have the 15 db cut and they are great for going to all but the quietest shows (where you might not need plugs anyway). I can go stand next to huge speaker stacks and be comfortable. They actually really make concerts sound better and I never have any ringing after the show.

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

When I first looked at Etymotic ETY Plugs ER20 I was kind of unsure how I'd get that in my ear. I hate even putting Ipod earbuds in my ears. I think my ears are somewhat smaller so the Alphines might be a better option for me. Not sure I can justify paying for custom ones although I'm not sure how much they cost.

Really with the rising costs of many shows, I've cut back on live performances the last few years. I do still try to get out and see a few though especially if it's a good band and less than $50 a ticket. Seems that I'm less and less satisfied with shows for some reason. Maybe my enjoyment of home listening is coming into play.

Thanks for this thread and information.

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Those aren't too badly priced. Now, I wonder if the hearing test is covered by insurance.

9. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Many audiologists also dispense the Etymotic custom plugs. Depends on your preference. The one definite advantage of obtaining directly from an audiologist is being able to test them out in a sound field setting and being able to have minor adjustments to the fit made on site. Of course, I work for an audiology practice so my view is probably biased....

They are definitely more expensive than the standard Etymotic ear plugs, but are typically more comfortable, especially in hard to fit ears (e.g. small canals).

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

they etys are decent, you can also try these:

http://www.earpeace.com/

they are similar but maybe a bit more comfortable.

11. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Most insurances will cover hearing evaluations once every 36 months (some more frequently). The easiest way to find out is to call your insurance company or a local audiologist.

EDIT: Sorry that I keep jumping in here with my two cents. It makes me happy whenever I see people actively thinking about protecting their hearing! :goodie:

mikemoon likes this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I just ordered the Alpine plugs. I own the Ety full sized plugs and the Ety baby blues. The baby blues are a lot more comfortable but a size between the two would be ideal. Hopefully the Apline's work. BTW, an ear lube like Oto-Ease make both the full sized and baby blues much more comfortable.

auburn278 likes this.
  14. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Exactly what I have.

Out of curiosity... how has the material and fit held up over the years?

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The material has held up great, although (and sorry to be gross) I do have to periodically clean off a little earwax, of course. Also, the left-ear custom mold is much shorter than the right ear, so it always more comfortable. I think I could probably just cut off, say, and eighth of an inch from the inner tip on that right-ear mold and be okay, but I've never done it.

16. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

Its nice to know they have held up well. I've always wondered because I don't know anyone who has had a pair for more than 8 years or so. Mine are about 5 years old and still doing the trick.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have received 4 free pair of ear plugs similar to those on the Etymotic site linked to this thread and they are very effective and work very well. The company that sent them to me is Listen Technologies. You put them in and of course, they end up removing excessive layers of ear wax when they come out of your ears.

18. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I had a hereditary ear issue finally catch up to me last year and I suffered a profound loss of hearing in my right ear. I go for my second surgery in September in order to (I hope) restore my hearing. I will never feel comfortable going to a live show again if I can't protect my hearing. I asked my audiologist for advice on protective plugs and he said, "oh, just grab some foam plugs at Walgreens." o_O I really like the idea of the Sensaphonics, so I guess I'm going to have to force the issue with him.....

19. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those will certainly protect your hearing. I've used them at many concerts. The ones discussed in this thread likely won't protect any better, in fact they have less volume reduction than some foam plugs. But, they are advertised to be more neutral so as not to disproportionately reduce higher frequencies the way foam plugs tend to.

I hope your surgery goes well and you get much of your hearing back.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Foam plugs don't work for me. The slowly work their way out if my ear. I think my ear canals are just a little to small for them.

21. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

You may laugh but I've used cotton for my ears at concerts for decades and IMO it helps the sound as well as protecting my ears. My daughters do the same. My last hearing test indicated I was in the upper 1% of my age group so I'm going to stick with it.

22. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Yeah, the foam would be great for mowing the lawn, using a power saw, etc., but I kinda figured I would like something a bit more customized for live music. Thanks for your well wishes.

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The same for me as well.

24. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I have the Etymotics and Alpines.

- I don't think they sound different enough that I would pick one over the other on that.

- I like how the Alpines have three attenuation plugs, so you can swap them for high/medium/low attenuation. At a loud rock concert, you can hear a difference in volume between the attenuators, but it's not major. Swapping between them is like turning your TV volume up or down one notch, versus five notches.

- The Alpines are smaller, both inside the ear and outside. The Etymotics stick out of your ear and make you look like Shrek. Which one feels more comfortable depends on your ear size. (Both fit me okay, but I find the Etymotics feel more snug in my ears.)

- The Etymotics much cheaper. Earplugs do not last forever. They get yellow with use and look like something you don't want to stick inside your body.

- The Etymotics came with a soft carrying case, which I like much more than the metal tube case that Alpines came with.

Overall, for me personally, I'd vote for the Alpines because of the different attenuation plugs and because they look more discrete.

25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I use foam plugs. Thank goodness I used them during the outdoor Heart concert a couple weeks ago. I put them in just as the band started playing; the SPL was insanely loud, and the sonics were terrible. But with ear plugs in, the sonics were much better and the SPL was tolerable. After the show, in the quietness of the car, my ears had zero ringing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.