early '60s audiophile equipment?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telliott, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

While watching the Beatles Ed Sullivan DVD set, I was wandering what audiophiles in 1964 would play their just released vinyl of "Meet The Beatles" on?

I know many home entertainment systems of the later '60s consisted of a big cabnet with a TV. Open the top to access the turntable and radio.

I know many systems also had reel-to-reel tape players and the early Beatles albums also came out on open reel tape.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

An audiophile in 1964 wouldn't play Beatles records in a million years. He would have to be rich enough to be able to afford Marantz or McIntosh gear, therefore have a large income. So, if he was 40 years old in '64, he would have been born in 1924, thereby rendering his interest in the Beatles practically nil... :)

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

And his kids couldn't play their rock and roll records on it because it would "ruin the needle".

4. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Yep, my father was born in 1924 and his interest in the Beatles was...well, practically nil! He wasn't an audiophile though, so I could play my Beatle goodies on his portable RCA phono. :)

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I was not an audiophile then, yet I had a BIG Magnavox Tube 15" Mono console that was so loud I could blast the whole neighborhood.

Later traded it away for a little Philco stereo record player with built in speakers and a fold down turntable. Man that old mono unit was awesome now that I think about it.

One friends parents had McIntosh separates - not sure about the rest of the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.