Early Simple Minds - your favourite LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Bearing in mind that Simple Minds were once scrappy young Scots lads, emulating Berlin-era Bowie and similar dark sounds, and then became the band everyone loves to be indifferent to, I think they don't get their dues for inventiveness on those first five albums, which came out over just 2.5 years.

Anyway, I'm going for Sister Feelings Call. Just love that thump from the rhythm section and hard to believe it's seen as half an album.

Mother, patient_ot, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Tough call between Empires, Sons, and Sister. Went with Sons and Fascination although The American and Theme for Great Cities are among my favourites.

Galactus2, e.s., jamesc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

For me its a live tape I recorded of the Radio of a BBC 'In Concert' they did, roughly between the first two albums. It has that punk aggression but also that electronic thing as well.

JeffMo, Gavinyl, jamesc and 1 other person like this.
  4. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call is tremendous still. Steve Hillage production too... :righton:

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Whichever one has "I Travel" on it!
    Memories of me, with fake ID, going into 'new-wave club' on Long Island, hearing this, and dancing my a$$ off!

6. Dave 81828384

Empires and Dance

patient_ot and DTK like this.
  7. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I like them all but I voted Empires and Dance.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Great thread!
    Except for Life In A Day, which I do like, I think they are all pretty much essential. But I went for Real To Real, which is a very brave and still confounding album splintering off in several directions. Premonition, Changeling, I Travel, Theme For Great Cities...so much awesome music in this era.

Grissongs, Man at C&A, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm bumping this one so it doesn't drown in the McCartney threads ;).

Man at C&A, e.s., JeffMo and 4 others like this.
  10. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Sons and Fascinations, First and Second were more like experiments/demos, the more Derek was let loose, the better they got.

e.s. and Dave 81828384 like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Anything but not Real To Real...I just don't like that one.

12. Dave 81828384

I was always a keyboard/synth guy but I think Derek was the most important part of the early Simple Minds. Still can see him playing with his somewhat unique way of bopping on the stage, two legs together, bending at the knee.

13. Mr. Odd

Mr. Odd Forum Resident

The 5X5 box that collected everything from this period blew me away. I always liked their high points but, really, it's all great. Equally influenced by the Sex Pistols and krautrock, the punk energy merged with the motorik best is perfect. It's hard to believe how badly they lost their way chasing the money.

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think the Minds did worthwhile music after 1982 too; but it wasn't the same band, or after Mick MacNeil left, not really a band but Jim and Charlie with hired hands, however talented. Guess you could divide the eras roughly into:
    The Jim and Charlie Show: 1977-79, 1990-present
    The "band" years: 1979-1985
    The Jim and Charlie and Mick Show: 1985-1989

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I went with Sons but it was VERY close in my mind with Empires.

Ask me tomorrow and I'd probably pick the other....

e.s., jamesc and DTK like this.
  16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Can't really choose between Empires and Sons/Sisters, but I voted Empires simply because I absolutely love This Fear of Gods.

Moshe likes this.
  17. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Life in a Day... for all its Bowie/Roxy/Doctors/Sparks-iness, it felt genuinely fresh and exciting at the time

DTK likes this.
  18. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

For me it's a tie between Sons & Fascination and Sister Feelings Call. I like them all though. Sons/Sisters is my second favorite Simple Minds album after New Gold Dream, in fact at times it's my favorite.

willy likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I think "Sister Feelings Call" and "Sons & Fascination" should be one entry.

Hard to choose. And it still would be a tough choice if you had included "New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)" because apart from "Life In A Date" each of these albums could be my favourite. Today I went with "Empires And Dance"

DTK likes this.
  20. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Side 2 of Real To Real Cacophony is where things started to fall into place, and then with Empires & Dance they had well and truly arrived, so that's what I went with!

But you might consider adding a further option to the poll: the latter four (as the band themselves realized all too soon after its release, Life In A Day does not a good debut album make).

patient_ot likes this.
  21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to lump them together, as they're two sides of the same coin, but I really do like one over the other, and I guess they were released individually.

DTK, Neonbeam and willy like this.
  22. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Empires and Dance

Sons & Fascination
    Sister Feelings Call

WahWahHoWah and DTK like this.
  23. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Life In A Day, for sure. Too many great songs on there. Aside from the singles, Empires is difficultly experimental.

24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

As others have said, it's a tough choice between Empires and Dance and Sons/Sister. In a pinch I'd probably pick Sister Feelings Call. I'm not a fan of Life in a Day at all, it just doesn't gel for me.

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Real to Real or Empires, Deluxe editions of both please.

Empires probably just shades it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.