DCC Archive Easiest Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,
    Of all of the re-masters you've done...what has been the easiest? No tweaking really needed as all of the "breath of life" was already on the two-track master tape. Just thread the tape, check the splices, azimuth and otherwise push PLAY and put it into digital format for pressing onto Gold CD.
    Doug Hess

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Doug,

There is only one CD I've ever done that was easy like that, with self-contained "Breath Of Life". That was, of course "Buddy Holly--From The Original Master Tapes" on MCA.

It took me just four hours to master that disc. No EQ or tricks of any kind needed, just level adjusts, and that great Norman Petty sound poured out of the speakers.

Of course, it took me two years and three months to find all of the tapes, but that's another story.... ;)

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ahh the hallowed vaults of MCA. I wish you were searching for Skynyrd at that time, too!

I know that three Skynyrd titles are "on the list" at DCC. They are my all time fav. rock & roll band. I do hope that you get the opportunity to DCC-ize them! From Pronounced to Street Survivors! :D

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Over 2 years of digging for the Buddy Holly set on MCA - am I the only one who wants to hear about the search???? C'mon Steve, are you saving this for your book or can you spill the beans about putting the Holly set together? I'll bet MCA didn't dig that kinda prep time!

5. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Please tell us about Norman Petty's tape archive. Did you really have to go through all his tapes to find Buddy Holly stuff that hadn't been erased on re-used reels?

6. Steve Hoffman

Oh yeah, Mike. I was just making friends right and left there. Drove 'em all nuts.

Alan, there were no finished masters at Norman's. Just some scattered outtakes. All of the finished versions were at the record company----Just not logged as such!

It would take too long, and I don't want to go down memory lane right now, but looking for the correct master tapes on Buddy was a nightmare. That's how I found out that the tape boxes tossed into a corner with water leaking on them from an emergency fire pipe were the actual masters. They were all of course marked "Not master--do not use"....

Sigh... :(

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

jconsolmagno likes this.
  7. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

Steve - were the same correct masters used for the big Buddy Holly multi-LP Box, the notes for that one are exhaustive regarding the history and nonexistent regarding the remastering. Sound is excellent.

-j

8. Steve Hoffman

No, they were not. Sorry. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.