EdSullivan.com Cease & Desist Order from Apple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuyDon, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Ted:

Didn't think you were lying. I just have a specific memory of seeing the September 1965 Beatles performance on Ed's show in color on good old WJW-TV. In fact, I THINK I also remember the promos leading up to the show with a few seconds of the performance in color, building me up to a fever pitch that Sunday night.
    However, maybe it was my subsequent conduct in college that has fogged my memory. Sure SEEMED like color!
    At any rate, as a native Clevelander, I feel your pain with the Browns and fear I will also do so with the Tribe next summer.
    Go Coco!

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I watched the DVD this weekend and it really brought back memories. The quality was very good. I could even hear George flick his pickup switch on one song. The sound over the big system really beat the heck out of my Dad's old tv in 1964. The picture quality was also much better.

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member Thread Starter

Tullman, did you experience any of the menu problems others have touched upon?

4. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Good one, Ted ... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Has anyone actually said what these menu problems are/were? I couldn't find any problems with my copy.

6. GuyDon

From what I have read Rich (I am still waiting for my copy), if you press stop you do not go back to the menu page. As a result, one has to restart the disc. Also, I believe Dave (PMC7027) brought up the fact that one of the non-Beatle performances is missing even though it is listed.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I did experience the stop problem. I didn't look at many of the other acts. I bought the disc for the Beatles. The other acts pretty much sucked.

8. GuyDon

Thanks for the info. I have to assume this is the problem Solt Productions referred to when they said a "minor" menu glitch delayed shipping. It will be interesting to see if they correct this problem on later runs.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Guy Don it is really no big deal. The quality of the Beatles' performance more than makes up for anything as minor as the stop glich. The audio and video is excellent for the time. This is the highest quality live Beatles performance I have seen.

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

UPS just delivered my copy. Yippie!!!

11. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I checked the UPS tracking info on my DVD set today since mine is still in transit(ordered 1/2/03)When I called the Ed Sullivan folks, they said my DVD set was shipped on the 14th, however UPS shows they did'nt actualy receive it until the 21st. My set show show up any minute.:goodie:

12. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Ten days ago I placed two orders, one for dvd and the other for vhs. Then, when it became clear that the Sullivan release was legitimate, I called, canceled the vhs order and received a confirmation email.

Yesterday, my package arrived - with the vhs version!!!!:mad:

So I called back, they checked and even though I had canceled, the order was shipped anyway. They apologized and are paying for return shipping.

When I asked about my dvd order, they found that it had also been canceled!!:realmad:

But they kindly accepted a new order for the dvd and at the $4.95 shipping rate.

So I look forward to receiving a 78rpm copy of the show......:laugh:

GM

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ever notice once they get off track...It's a total screw up? Computers!

14. GuyDon

As posted on the Abbeyrd site (http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm) it was only a matter time before these things started showing up on eBay along with hints that they are no longer available:

Update (1/29/03)
    From James Marien:

One thing for sure you can say about eBay : There's always someone out there trying to take advantage of the unknowing consumer.

Even though the Ed Sullivan DVD and VHS Shows are still available for sale through www.edsullivan.com, there are a few people selling them on eBay. They're getting bids in excess of $55.00 and in one case the bidder is offering $75.00 for the same set he could buy for $39.95 on-line. The ads I saw mentions the "fact" that "litigation is pending", leading the unknowing bidder to believe the sets will be discontinued and therefore "rare". You have to wonder about the morals of such a person who lists these items on eBay.

Oh, well, the lesson in all this is that if you see a new Beatles product being offered on eBay, search the internet first.

From Wayne Spencer:

Received this email today about the Ed Sullivan DVDs, so it looks like the International Orders are on their way too.

Dear Edsullivan.com Customer,

Thank you for your order for the Ed Sullivan Introduces the Beatles Box Set. Because you are an international customer, you will notice that there will be an additional $10.00 airmail charge added to the total cost of the product. Our website had not been updated at the time you ordered the product and we apologize for the omission. (For our customers in Canada, the additional charge is $3.00 per item).

Also, please note the DVDs are NTSC and Region 1.

We appreciate your business and we hope that you will enjoy the completely remastered 240 minutes of the Ed Sullivan Show containing the only four live appearances by the Beatles on U.S. television.

Sincerely,
    Ed Sullivan Customer Service

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I won't comment on the morality of a such eBay sellers because I don't think it's necessarily an issue of the seller's morals (i.e., caveat emptor, and all that). However, I've felt on a few occasions the impulse to inform Ebay bidders (via email) of items that I knew were "excessively" priced and which could be readily purchased elsewhere for much much less. I've never acted on this impulse primarily because: a) I generally don't like to stick my nose in other people's business; b) I'd be concerned about possible consequences to me as an eBayer; and c) it may be a violation of eBay rules (I don't really know). Of course, that's not to say that I would mind it terribly if someone gave *me* such a tip.

Jim W.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've been warned by other eBayers and have always appreciated the heads up.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Ah, eBay has become ridiculous anyway. It has fallen victim to what I call "You Can't Have It" syndrome. The very thought that something will go out of print or become hard to find, and people seem to be willing to pay exhorbitant amounts of money for it. It's the same deal with the Herb Alpert and the TJB CD's. Did anyone buy these when they were in stores? Seems to me, they kind of just sat there, until they went out of print a couple of years ago. Now they go for hundreds of dollars. Hey, "a fool and his money...", but to me, eBay has become too much of a hassle to even buy or sell with.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Richie, I have purchased a lot of great vinyl and cds on ebay. I bought a Beatles complete from MFSL that was never played for $400.00. I couldn't find anything like that at a record store. I guess one must know what one is buying in order to not be ripped off. I have only been screwed a few times out of hundreds of purchases. It is too bad that there are so many weasels out there.

19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have sold and bought for quite a while, and usually only bid on stuff that I know sbout. I have been hosed once or twice because of ignorance (I paid $150 for a Walls Apple EP that now goes for $50), and have only REALLY been burned once when I bid on a Chuck Berry Q8 that turned out to have about 3 minutes of "The Best of Bread" in it! :D

The seller only offered to "give me credit on a future auction", so I just ate the $30.

But, in general, I have been very happy with eBay AND PayPal!

:-jon

20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

When I got home from work late last night I had a suprise...my DVD's arrived!! :thumbsup:
    Since I had to work early today I'm just about to watch them now.:D

21. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ebay

22. GuyDon

Re: Ebay

23. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ok, I would agree that IF the seller lies in his ad, then yes, thats wrong.

Of course, no seller is gonna mention in his ad where to buy the item cheaper!!!

I believe in doing my homework if Im a buyer. If I dont, and I end up paying more, hey , this is America, everyones gotta make a living.

24. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Well I order the dvd's on the 22nd. and received my order today. I must say I'm impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.