Educational filmstrips

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I found a great archive of educational filmstrips (and old commercials) here

Daves Archives

Here's a Yogi Bear one. :)

Just search his channel for "filmstrip" for others. I love watching these old things. I used to like when we'd watch them in school.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

There was one for Sesame Street about self-esteem and I think that there were ones with Winnie The Pooh in them as well.

3. PaulKTF

Developing Self-Esteem

That was a 16MM film and not a filmstrip, but close enough. :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

Jabberjaw is here to teach you about whales!

Man, this reminds me of rainy days when we couldn't go out for recess.

I have to mention one of my favorites- the Patch The Pony filmstrip about staying away from strangers.

[​IMG]

Patch the Pony Says “Nay! Nay!” and Strangers “Stay, Stay Away” - The Retroist

All together now- "Nay! Nay! From Strangers Stay Away!". I think there was a second Patch The Pony filmstrip about not doing drugs or something.

5. MikaelaArsenault

Bummer. Thought it was a filmstrip.

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Diggin' back a little deeper in the shed . . .

7. PaulKTF

I could seriously watch these silly things all day. They should release them on DVD. I know old educational films are on DVD but I don't think any filmstrips are.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I wonder how many still exist?

driverdrummer likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

That's a good question! I imagine quite a few are now lost even if hundreds of copies of them were made since most of them are now 40 to 60 years old and got tossed.

10. MikaelaArsenault

Gotta love me some Internet Archive.

11. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Not a film strip but still an educational film ...

Dan Kennedy likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

I love when The Simpsons does those parodies! You can tell the writers really had to watch a lot of those growing up. :)

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  13. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I do, too. And when the soundtrack skips or something it is just like listening and watching those things back in school!!!

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I had a box set full of educational filmstrips at one time. It was shaped like a lunchbox. I think it was called The Educational Archives and it was from AV Club.

15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

16. PaulKTF

17. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I would bet most schools tossed all that stuff when VCRs became commonplace in the schools. I can't image anyone thought of preserving that stuff. I still remember them vividly. And there was always that guy who was in charge of changing the film strip to the next frame and would always be way off compared to the cassette tape accompanying it.

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

You haven't lived until you've seen this projected in 16mm, with the projector rattling away in the back of a room filled with a noisy, appreciative crowd. :agree:

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That was a 4-DVD set of educational films, although it did have some filmstrips as bonus material on a couple of the DVDs. It appears to be available dirt-cheap from the usual online sources (Amazon, eBay, etc.) now. I never got one because I already had the individual DVDs when it was released, but I'm kinda tempted at the prices it's going for now, as the lunchbox packaging is very cool.

[​IMG]

20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

21. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

There's only one way to watch educational films - with Joel (or Mike) and the 'bots :pineapple:

22. arley

arley Forum Resident

In a box-lot at an auction I once acquired a bunch of old filmstrips, most of which were typical middle school fare--scenes from National Parks, stuff like that. But one caught my eye: it was a Disney-produced filmstrip about venereal disease. (think in falsetto Mickey Mouse voice: "Okay, boys and girls, we're going to Penicillin-Land!!" I think it was made to be projected while a cassette tape ran, and the soundtrack would signal when to switch to the next frame. Back in the day all they worried about was syphilis and gonorrhea, so those were the subjects. Now they didn't have Disney characters describing their symptoms, but rather some crudely drawn cartoon monsters representing T. pallidum and N. gonorrhea. I didn't have the accompanying tape, so it was somewhat amusing to project this filmstrip at parties and have the party-goers compete to make up the most amusing (or disgusting) caption for each frame.

23. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

24. arley

arley Forum Resident

Wow! a little Googling and I found the short film on which that filmstrip I just mentioned was based. It's called VD Attack Plan, and it's a hoot.

Love the berets.

25. PaulKTF

Wow, that's pretty great animation! I love the character designs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.