Edwin Hawkins of Edwin Hawkins Singers fame, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I know O, Happy Day is historic in a way, but Edwin Hawkins has a lot of good albums. I pick them up whenever I see them. I've yet to be disappointed. I love the whole Hawkins family.

MikaelaArsenault and BradOlson like this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Yes he does have a lot of good albums and the whole family is indeed talented. Sony or Real Gone Music should bring these albums back in print.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Loving the music doesn't necessarily mean you're proscyletizing. I love Handel's Messiah, but I'm not a Christian.

I love great gospel music. There's a great gospel concert film with a soundtrack album called "Gospel". Edwin Hawkins is on it.

4. BradOlson

You are right.

5. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Thanks for that. I'm curious, where and when did you see this film? I've been looking and, although I find the title, it seems to be long out of print.

EDIT: I found it on amazon. Different packaging confused me. :doh:

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

RIP, Mr. Hawkins.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

While I'd hardly describe myself as a believer — far from it — tracks like "To My Father's House" and a roof-raising cover of "Blowin' in the Wind" almost made me one!

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

the real inspiration for My Sweet Lord. RIP

9. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

RIP Edwin. Every time I listen to your beautiful "Oh Happy Day" I get chills. Loved it then - Love it even more now.

10. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

For a true believer, this is the most joyous occasion!

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. BradOlson

Exactly right.

13. BradOlson

2 highlights from the Best of compilation.

14. BradOlson

This is proof that great music knows no boundaries and why just a V/A comp with Oh Happy Day on it or the 45rpm single are NOT enough Edwin Hawkins Singers for anybody.

15. BradOlson

Because he sang the word of God and presented it to the masses in his unique way.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

http://americansongwriter.com/2013/08/melanie-lay-down-candles-in-the-rain/?v=7516fd43adaa
    Melanie got some assistance on the song from the Edwin Hawkins Singers, who had their own gospel hit with their arrangement of “Oh Happy Day” two years earlier. Melanie had to beg the group to join her on the song, since they were reluctant to perform any song that didn’t make specific mention of the Lord. “But he’s in there,” she told them in the studio, and she must have been convincing. “By the time I finished singing,” Safka says, “they were joining me in the chorus.”

17. BradOlson

BTW, the original album with his cover of Blowin' In The Wind and also Pray For Peace on it is called "Peace Is Blowin' In The Wind" which is primarily a Christmas album

The Edwin Hawkins Singers* - Peace Is "Blowin' In The Wind"

This can be downloaded from many download retailers and is on CD-R on Amazon as "The Edwin Hawkins Singers Christmas"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.