Electric Ladyland nude cover vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ThreeTens, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeTens

ThreeTens Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just found a copy at my local Half Price books
    It does have some wear to it, creases, a small
    piece of tape on the spine, original inner sleaves
    are long gone, the lp's have a few scratches
    but does appear quite playable.
    How does this one stack up sonic wise?
    I asked the cashier to hold it for me. And oh yea,
    The asking price was $25.00!
    Do I, or don't I return for it....?
    Thanks for input.

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I would think it impossible to say how good the pressing is based on the cover design.

3. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

My Japan 70's version has the nude cover, but also Japan mastering, big on the high-end. So not all nude covers are equal!

JeffR714 likes this.
  5. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I have the first polydor uk reissue and it has crossed out matrix. It sounds different then my usa pressing.
    better is relative but it sounds really good hotter if you will and more forward in the guitar tone.
    The usa is warmer / softer presentation but I like it as well its what I grew up with.

Marc Perman likes this.
  6. ThreeTens

ThreeTens Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It is indeed the Track Records version. Seeing the prices on a few
    of them, the $25 price tag seems a steal, even if a bit worn.
    If it does sound a bit rough I can always just make it a wall hanger
    to my wife's delight! :D

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Jimi HATED that cover. I thought it was a neat idea, but those girls supposedly thought they would meet Jimi.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

He didn't get what he wanted for the US version either. He had asked for either a photo the Central Park photos (the band with children on the Alice In Wonderland statue) or the band portrait which ended up on the back cover.

9. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

its worth it.

always thought the central park photo reflected the music inside the package much better than either the usa\uk covers.if it had been used it would have been a classic 60s album cover.

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Check the matrix numbers on the first lp... if they are crossed out you will likely have a good one. :)

11. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Years ago I bought a Dutch pressing with the nude cover. Turns out the second record was pressed with two side fours. No big deal for me, since I already had a nice US pressing, so bought the Dutch pressing just for the cover.

Indecently, the inside of the gatefold of the nude cover has IMHO the coolest picture of Jimi (see the ebay link above).

12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I expect it would have sounded very fine being a Track pressing but you might have to listen 'around' the "scratches" you mentioned.
    Cover is collectable given that 'Experience Hendrix' has decided to only use the US version for authorised pressings.

Lots of new dodgy pirate versions of the nudes cover from Europe available with very poor reproduction inside and out.

13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Apparently in the UK at some point they turned this into two separate LPs.

How does this pressing sound in comparison to the best out there (I only have "Part 1", not "Part 2") -- nothing crossed out on either stamper (as mentioned earlier in this thread):

“ELECTRIC LADYLAND, PART 1”

UK TRACK POLYDOR PRESS 613 010

LABEL: Black TRACK -- “MADE IN Gt.BRITAIN”

STAMPERS:

A: (machine stamped) 613010 A2 420 1 2 1
    B: (machine stamped) 613010 B2 420 1 2 1

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well... the nude design is a "classic 60s album cover" too, isn't it? ;) I really love it but it could have to do with the fact that this was already around when I was born and for me has been the only cover. Until I learned much later about the troubled birth of it.

15. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

I have read that the single LP issues on Track use the same mastering/metalwork as the first pressing double issue, but lighter vinyl. 613 010 should be the second Track version, which is said to be less noisy.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think you heard wrong. The original double pressing deadwax matrices are 613008 and 613009, not 613010. My copy has 613 008 V1/V2 on record 1 (side 1/side 4) and 613 009 V2/V2 on record 2 (side 2/side 3). It has the nude cover, but the later white print rather than light blue print on the inner gatefold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.