Ella Fitzgerald Centenary Celebration Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Maybe you can remind me: who did start SHM arguments.
    I believe everyone should take SHM and non-SHM CD to his local High End store and try them before to die.

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I guess if they came out with an "SHM/Blu-spec 2/Ultimate HQ/Gold/Titanium CD" in a mini-LP cover, I would buy it, but only if they gave you the "Japanese only" essay in an English translation. But if I did buy that, I know they would come out with something they claimed to be better the following year, and remind me that I really need it.

When the music corporations came up with the motto "You thought you had it, but you really didn't have it. NOW you can have it" and realized they could repeat that cycle forever, that is when music collecting became less fun and more driven by anxiety.

I did actually prefer the original vinyl days when there was really only one option to have a piece of music, and the main preference was for an earlier pressing in better condition. But then the manufacturers would have to find new artists and record new music to keep their machines a-hummin'. And the newer artists often insisted on owning their masters and honest book-keeping and royalty payments

Runicen likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Why don’t we just return to Ella? I’m very happy with my non-SHM copy of Ella at Zardi’s.

Turmatic, Mr. H, Quim and 2 others like this.
  4. Quim

Quim Forum Resident

Totally agree!!

paulmock likes this.
  5. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

As the one looking to buy this, I appreciate the differing opinions. Thank you, all, for weighing in.

toilet_doctor, paulmock and Bob F like this.
  6. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I love this. Thanks, but please limit the recommendations to one fantastic disc a week. There are still a few children to put through college.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can understand that one might sound better than the other, even to most ears, but they were each from completely different sources so it is hard to say that it is due to SHM.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If they get a good musical education from your CDs, they will be well prepared for life and all of its challenges. Plus, if you have no money left, they may get a better scholarship.

ggjjr likes this.
  9. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

They are definitely growing up being exposed to some great music.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That is a fine sounding original pressing LP as well.

11. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

I think they, I mean Parlofone, did the Flat Transfer from OMT (Original Master Tape), relying on the good recordings.

guidedbyvoices and paulmock like this.
  12. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Great collection. Packaging is a 4 tray digipack with the book slid into a slip behind disc 4.

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Ella Fitzgerald’s 1956 Album ‘Ella at Zardi’s’ Hits No.1

"The First Lady of Swing is back on the charts, 62 years after her live recording at Zardi’s Jazzland in Los Angeles, Ella Fitzgerald has entered the Billboard Jazz Albums and Traditional Jazz Albums charts at No. 1 thanks to the newly released Ella at Zardi’s.

Released on 1 Dec CD/digital via Verve Records, the live album got the chart boost thanks to a Record Store Day-exclusive double-vinyl release on 21 April. Limited to just 1,500 copies, the exclusive versions pressed on pink and blue LPs sold out the day it was released."

Ella Fitzgerald’s 1956 Album ‘Ella at Zardi’s’ Hits No.1

Jazz Music: Top Jazz Albums & Songs Chart

toilet_doctor and johnnybrum like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Absolutely ridiculous! Those LP's are going for exorbitant prices now. I will happily settle for a$9.00 CD copy.

Tribute, MLutthans and Bob F like this.
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just picked up a CD of Zardi's. It is typical UMe brickwalled all-to-hell and back. But the performances are nothing short of brilliant. She is so informal, sweet and innocent that it is touching.

17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Just heard this on Spotify - quite a performance. Good recording also.

mick_sh likes this.
  19. ispace

ispace Senior Member

What are the DR ratings of the tracks & album?

20. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

teag and paulmock like this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

pghmusiclover and teag like this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes! I was just watching one on Ebay and it went for $105. Looking forward to getting this at a reasonable price!

pghmusiclover and paulmock like this.
  23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Yes! $25 is certainly more reasonable!

paulmock likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'll post this here because this seems to be the "go to" thread on Ella, with the widest participation.

October 7th, 1955 - One of the greatest singers of the century, Ella Fitzgerald, was arrested in Houston and charged with shooting dice

[Today, there are lines in every convenience store to lay down up to $40 on lottery tickets. I think this event had little to do with shooting dice. Ella was relaxing after a show, probably attended by the local politicians]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, on the other side of town

[​IMG]

teag and Runicen like this.
  25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Stories like this are hard to read in general. It gets worse with Ella who just seemed like the sweetest woman (and that's before you get to her voice, which tops the cake). It's like the cops pulled in your grandmother or something.

Tribute likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.