ELO in RRHOF: now what?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Comet01, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup, this is DEFINITELY true. Jeff was happy to let Bev take interviews on behalf of the group...

TrekkiELO likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

3. The short version is that Ace Kefford feels as if he's been treated like some kind of great liability going all the way back to various aborted reunions planned in the 1980s (due to previous issues with substance abuse tied into a mental health diagnosis that only came more recently), while Bev and Trevor have since annoyed Roy by touring as The Move - despite receiving several lawsuits - with very few of Wood's compositions in their sets, supposedly as a slight against what they considered his unwelcome assumed leadership, not to mention a preference for recording increasingly diverse music that contributed to their failure to break the lucrative US rock market. On top of all this, Trevor has since left, taking co-ownership of The Move's name with him and forcing Bev to reschedule a planned 50th anniversary tour as the Bev Bevan Zing Band, which has naturally harmed already low ticket sales. Add the remaining animosity between Roy, Bev or Jeff, and it's not hard to see why there's little chance of any Move configuration getting together in a hurry! By contrast, at least it's looking good for two of the three ELO co-founders to be accompanied at their induction by someone who's been loyal since the later years of The Move...

TrekkiELO likes this.
  4. By the way, I'm absolutely loving all the live pictures that have been shared over the last few pages... Am I right in saying these are from the Eldorado tour in late '74 to early '75? Would anyone object to me compiling these and submitting them to Rob Porter's website? For those who've seen the Fusion concert video from the following tour, my highlight is Kelly's smile at not only being part of ELO as they were quickly rising to megastar status, but his getting to sing lead vocals on several tracks - he was already developing the kind of on-stage charm his fellow musicians just didn't have!

TrekkiELO, lawrev, Octowen and 2 others like this.
  5. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

In one article I read that he had a conflict with a UK gig the night of the induction, but in other press clippings I read about Bev hoping scheduling could change. But I think there are other reasons that are not in his Facebook posting.

TrekkiELO and Comet01 like this.
  6. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

Dave Morgan deserves credit too, as did Kelly before him. I think credit should be given where credit is due, but it also appears that Mr. Blue Sky may not agree with that concept.

TrekkiELO and Comet01 like this.
  7. As is so often the case with all things ELO, we fans know the score, yet can only ever trust our instincts...

8. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident

I really need to dig those great photos of Kelly out of my archives - at least one Orchestra show in 2004 or 2005, not to mentioned the Time show I saw.

9. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

MBS wont be there. He's calling the bingo at Shard End buffs that night

TrekkiELO likes this.
  10. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Over a year before his death Chris Groucutt clued me into specifics about former Electric Light Orchestra member's very real band contributions to the Jeff Lynne songwriting/recording process from Kelly Groucutt, Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell, Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark that Jeff along with Sandy still denies them since he got money out of Don Arden, but never shared it like Don, known as "the meal", so there was justification for an ELO Part II, that's all I'll elaborate on right now! :mad::realmad::cussing::disgust:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

I call BS, the tell-tale sign is that Bev Bevan finally called out the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame over snubs of former Electric Light Orchestra members Kelly Groucutt, Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell and Mel Gale, though I'd also add Louis Clark, over 20 years wasting my time for nothing. :(:shake::cry::sigh:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    wayneklein likes this.
  12. Nah they will do Roll Over Beethoveen too in honor of Chuck and I'm sure Roy knows it.

13. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

With Chuck Berry's death, "Roll Over Beethoven" will now more than likely be the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony closing jam song and not a part of the actual Electric Light Orchestra Rock Hall induction, if Roy Wood joins in for one song then they'll play "10538 Overture"! :cool:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Comet01 likes this.
  14. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

An example of what I'm getting at here...

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: 50 best songs from the Class of 2017

22. Electric Light Orchestra – ‘Strange Magic’
    In the midst of listening to the band’s hits, it can be easy to forget the stunning beauty Electric Light Orchestra was capable of. “Strange Magic” is an amazing example of that. The song stays with you, in large part because of its memorable keys and Jeff Lynne delivering a guitar sound unlike anything heard before.

Chris Groucutt told me that it's actually his father Kelly Groucutt who came up with that guitar sound on "Strange Magic" while playing around at one session, Jeff Lynne loved that guitar part, then took it to develop a whole song from! Chris also recollected that Kelly also put that guitar part in OrKestra's "Don't Turn Away", but in reverse, to make a point...

PS- "but I will say this...
    jeff lynne has presided over one of the greatest rock and roll scandals of the 70s and has pretty much got away with it..." - Chris Groucutt

15. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

16. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  17. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Ironically, on The Electric Light Orchestra eponymous AKA No Answer debut album vinyl label it clearly states Move Enterprises Ltd. presents the services of the Electric Light Orchestra!

The Electric Light Orchestra - Electric Light Orchestra | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

18. you are joking about scandal right

The Elephant Man likes this.
  19. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Or how about the one on Rockline in 2001 when Jeff Lynne only referred to Bev Bevan as "the drummer" after ELO Part II was brought up!

20. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

That's interesting. I've heard Jeff say more than once that the guitar part was Richard's

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  21. Michaelpeth

That's what I understood. Think there's a misunderstanding somewhere...there's a few bizarre posts in this thread now

22. Michaelpeth

I'm no JL apologist but to be fair that's his style he'd assume that no-one would have a clue what any of the band was called.

grimble likes this.
  23. Michaelpeth

Why not. I'm keen to hear all about it.

grimble likes this.
  24. grimble

grimble Forum Resident

Jeff has done a lot of interviews recently due to his activity and there was also the speech he gave when he accepted his honorary degree. Unfortunately, and ironically considering his gift, he just isn't very eloquent.

TrekkiELO likes this.
  25. Michaelpeth

Creating a guitar sound doesnt warrant a songwriting credit you know. Unfortunately, there are thousands of examples of people contributing some hefty chunks of songs and not being credited. As sad as it is KG settled out of court with JL and if the evidence that he contributed such a substantial part to MBS exists then he should have ploughed ahead with proceedings.

Lots of songs first turn up in the studio in draft form and are developed by musicians contributing their own ideas. Loads of Neil Finn songs started life as slow ballads...once in the studio with the rest of Crowded House they changed into completely different songs. There's no additonal credits on most of them. It isn't straightforward and to suggest that JL presided over one of the greatest scandals of the 70s without being prepared to disclose real evidence over hearsay is hyperbole.

Darren Richardson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.