Elton John and Paul McCartney have Made too many ALBUMS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hole Got Fixed, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi Thread Starter

Mega Producer Says Paul McCartney & Elton John Have Made 'Too Many Albums'

With talk that Paul McCartney is gearing up to release a new album, revered UK mega producer Steve Lillywhite says that iconic artists such as McCartney and Elton John have made "too many albums".
    Appearing on The Music's latest Producer Series podcast, Lillywhite, who has worked with the likes of The Rolling Stones and U2, discussed the topic when asked if he would work with Queen if they were to record a new album with frontman Adam Lambert.

"I'm a big believer in artists who don't clog up the airwaves with new music just because they think they must release a new album," Lillywhite said.

"I love Paul McCartney, I love Elton John… I think they've made too many albums.

majoyenrac, RomanZ, DTK and 2 others like this.
  2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Mr. Lillywhite probably thinks Shakespeare wrote too many plays and sonnets also.

intv7, angelees, AndyNicks and 17 others like this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

There was a time when being prolific was encouraged. There was none of that silly “five years between albums”. Musicians create. That’s what they do. It’s only producers and record companies that keep artists from doing what they do on a more organic pace. Therefore creating a rather “samey” sound to what they do these days.

He’s just jealous he doesn’t have the capability to put out so much music. As an artist.

gottafeelin, pantofis, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

He’s not wrong. But the list is much bigger than just those two.

5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I doubt their new music will clog the airwaves these days.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Exactly. As long as the artists know they're making records for dedicated fans (and themselves), then it's great. I think the records Macca and Elton have made in the last 20 years have been perfectly lovely additions to their catalogs for the people who want to seek that music out, and I'm glad they're still with us as creative entities.

Having said that, dear god please don't let there be a Queen album. I'd love to hear new songs from Brian and Roger, but I'd honestly much rather hear them singing.

7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

He reneged on an agreement to produce a Rush in 1984, so he I’m not listening to him...

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I happen to enjoy their new albums.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

So, if Macca or Elton called up Lillywhite:

“Hey Steve, I’ve got some new songs I’d like you to produce...let’s meet in the studio!”

“Sorry Paul/Elton, I don’t want to be your accomplice in clogging up the airwaves...”

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yes. Elton John has, in fact, made too many albums. One too many, to be exact. Specifically; 'Victim Of Love.'

11. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

The headline:
    'Man Who Made Career Off Ageing Rockers Slams Ageing Rockers"

angelees, Zeki, ti-triodes and 5 others like this.
  12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Big fan of both and I agree. That said, I feel pretty much any album of each artist have at least a couple of good songs. But - at least in Elton's case - so many albums! Many of which remain obscure as their heritage is not preserved well at all; and since at least the 1990's he raves about a new album he has made, plays a lot of its songs in concert for a brief while, and then within a year or two their songs disappear completely from the set list. E.g. The Diving Board. Too bad. Don't know if it's the same with Paul. He has made a lot of albums, for sure, but nowhere near the crazy amount Elton did, and seemed to balance the new material better in terms of preserving it (re-issues, interviews about the albums, pulling out obscurities live etc.)

13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Who is Steve Lillywhite ?

angelees, andrewskyDE, Sean and 2 others like this.
  14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

This thread will be locked in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,....

No one forces someone to buy music they do not want... so people can record as many albums as they like.

Pretty.Odd. and O Don Piano like this.
  15. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Artists should not be allowed to make more albums until a certain sales figure is reached on their last one.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Lillywhite's enjoyed a good career - made his bones with U2, worked with the Stones, etc. He's not some nobody spouting off.

But this seems like a stupid argument. As others have noted, it's not like Macca and Elton are actually hogging the airwaves, so they're not taking away precious air space from some struggling new artist.

It also was an argument that made more sense 40 years ago when they produced albums at a rapid rate and did "hog the airwaves".

Respect Lillywhite's career but this is a dopey claim...

17. tages

tages Senior Member

Why would this thread be locked?

18. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

It's frustrating being a fan these days. Since live dates are the primary source of income now, we wait years between albums. Alice Cooper released 7 albums between 1969 and 1974.

19. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

thank you. it was an honest question;
    I hadn't heard the name until I read this thread

20. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Because sales are most important? Please, explain...

Hokeyboy and no.nine like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I think I understand where he is coming from, don’t overexpose yourself, don’t force yourself to be creative. However, it isn’t like Paul or Elton are contemporary artists, and at least they’re not just diddling away for five years at a time, they still have some sense of drive. And while I can’t really comment on new Elton John, I’ve been mostly pleased with new Paul, hell, some of his later records I think are better than many of his seventies albums, certainly better than his eighties output.

goddammitjanice and O Don Piano like this.
  22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think Steve Lillywhite has produced too many albums.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks for the clarification - your "who's Steve Lillywhite?" comment could've sounded like "how dare a peon like Lillywhite question Elton and Macca???" :D

Obviously Lillywhite's not a household name - how many producers are? - but he's still more famous than most. I first got to know him because he produced the 1st 2 Big Country albums!

Zoot Marimba and Crimson Witch like this.
  24. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

They can make all the albums they want. Who cares what this guy thinks?

25. Agree with the premise here

George Blair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.