Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'd like to know how that 'Madman' LP sounds.

GentleSenator and teag like this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree.

Thank you!

3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

As discussed a few pages back, it sounds great.

FashionBoy likes this.
  4. beartrackrecords

beartrackrecords Forum Resident

Listen, do yourself a favor. Don't let 'em give you any of that flank steak ********. Try the London Broil.

Tom Favata likes this.
  5. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

I ordered all of these reissues from Amazon last week. All but one (Madman) were off center and got sent back. The replacements just arrived so here's hoping for better luck this time. Someone told me that if one copy is off center then the whole run would be, but I don't believe that is the case or else others here would've mentioned theirs being off center.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Interesting. The GYBR by Stax I saw listed pretty much everywhere seems to have vanished. It was also supposed to be released on May 5th and nobody has a review of it. No entry in Discogs either.

Quite bizarre.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

It is possible that the whole run could be ruined, but I don't believe that's always the case. Depends on what, exactly, constitutes a "run."

Off center is the most intolerable thing I find with vinyl. Even warps are less undesirable. I don't want to buy a Nakamichi Dragon turntable just to deal with this. I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 to have someone check the centering for me.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  8. My copy of Madmen is not off center so it's not the entire run.

ted321 likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy 008

I thought you were quoting someone referring to the entire run as per a particular album. Not all of the titles.
    If one pressing of one album is off center, it's likely that many others, of that "run" or pressing phase are also.
    But...not always.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I glanced at your profile, and you've got a superb setup. Jeez, if those pressings sound off center to you, then most here would hear the same. Unless they got better pressings from the same run.

10. Did I not make myself clear ? My pressing of Madmen plus s/t and Cowboy are perfect. None of mine are off center. No none.

No bad luck here. That was someone else.

HiFi Guy 008 and e.s. like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Mazzy likes this.
  12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

For the record, none of the albums I've listened to so far – Elton John, Madman Across the Water, Captain Fantastic – are at all off-center. Near perfect pressings.

FashionBoy and Mazzy like this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

Haha. Sorry about that Mazzy! So I need to address jpgettes.

FashionBoy and Mazzy like this.
  14. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Bought four of the reissues. (11-17-70, Madman, Elton John, and Captain Fantastic) I was most impressed with the audio and production of Madman. They took no shortcuts. Well dome!

15. Luxeinterior

Luxeinterior Well-Known Member

My madman is really quite stunning the whole package is great, especially the sound on my set up is fantastic to me. I still need to get to the rsd 17_11_70 I haven't had a chance to listen yet.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They would look better there than on the turntable! Sorry, couldn't resist.

e.s., Mazzy and JeffMo like this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love two songs: Tonight and Sorry Seems.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's also possible that Jpgettes is rather more obsessive of minor off centre than most of us. I never send records back unless severely off centre and it is not possible for a single copy to be far worse than others in the particular run from the same press.

marcb likes this.
  19. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

I don't think it's minor if you can hear it, but that's just me. The replacements came yesterday and they are all perfect, so I don't know what to tell ya.

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Great. My copies certainly did not have off centre issues. Bit of a mystery if you got one offs or there maybe are different pressing runs.

21. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Your Starter For... is a great way to begin the album but the other two instrumentals are insufferable.

I like the other songs that I left off, except Boogie Pilgrim. I was just trying to get it down to a 10 track album.

22. And as I wrote earlier, it would had made a better 45.

e.s. and JeffMo like this.
  23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Stax? I believe the Stax label is now owned by Concord. It really doesn't make sense that one album, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road', would be licenced by Universal Music to Stax to be re-issued yet again.

24. Strat-Mangler

I'm referring to Doug Stax.

25. teag

teag Forum Resident