Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I liked it. It's not as good as the original DJM vinyl, but it's easier on the ears than the 2003 SACD or the CD releases.

2. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Good to know. Thanks
    I will stick with my Japanese DJM and Speaker's Corner versions then. I always like to get a consensus with these things.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The surround mix is worth having, though.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You're definitely all set then. I hear the Speakers Corner version is great. I almost picked one up when I found it cheap at a local record store used, but then when I inspected the vinyl, there was a big gaping scratch on side 1! So no go on that one.

Releases like the Blu-Ray are great for adding to Christmas or birthday gift lists for family members who want a variety of choices for gifts. If a release is one I know I`m going to want for sure, I buy it myself to be sure I get it, but for the non-essential ones, they're fine.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes in fact all those Elton surround mixes are extremely well done. I even find them interesting as downmixes to stereo for listening in the car or portable. They work well as remixes.

mikedifr0923, marcb, fredblue and 3 others like this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Good info on the dead wax codes. They were def. cut at Abbey Road as that was also mentioned in the press release.

So Robert Ludwig mastered them and someone at Abbey Road cut them. Anyway, they sound great and the record quality is top notch.

mikedifr0923 and Darrin Crawford like this.
  7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

A nice SHF member sent me a UK Captain Fantastic for free when I bought his SC Yellow Brick Road. It was a bit noisy... But still night-and-day better over any other copy I'd heard.

I eventually got a primo UK original for about $7-8. They're not too hard to find especially on Discogs. I would recommend grabbing one even if the new reissue gets good reviews.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

So far we know the remastering was done by Robert Lugwig using the original master tapes, cut at Abbey Road (not sure who though), and most likely pressed at Optimal in Germany.

This looks very promising!

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don't know how in the world this took so long but finally they are reissuing Elton's catalogue on vinyl, and across the board as far as labels. First batch:
    17-11-70
    Captain Fantastic
    Elton John (ST)
    Madman Across The Water
    Songs From The West Coast
    Two Low For Zero
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (that's a shock...sorry, had to say it)
    Thom Bell Sessions
    Leather Jackets

And a couple others that have already been out. I really respect that they are not forcing us to buy a box set. I can't wait to get a nice clean copy of Captain Fantastic. All 180 gram (not that I care a single bit about that....people sure drink the Kool Aid on that aspect). But I do like that they are being pressed on virgin vinyl. Seems they will actually care about the quality. I'm amazed it's taken this long, but at least they are on the way. I also think it's a very thoughtful mix of albums, though I'm not sure we need to see Leather Jackets ever released again...no offense to anyone that likes it, but it seems pretty much panned even around here! I didn't see a release date on the preorder list.

10. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Somewhere near the bottom of the list of things Humanity has been calling for...just below the reintroduction of Smallpox, is an expensive vinyl reissue of Leather Jackets....

11. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'm holding out for Victim Of Love.

David Campbell and Beaneydave like this.
  12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Leather Jackets... I don't get it... Same goes with many recent reissues. Perhaps it's just me and feel free to call me on this. But working at a record store, we see bunches of used LP's in top condition, easy to get, easy to sell, not that high priced. Sting, Elton, etc... All are being reissued. I just don't get it. LP's are in again, I know, but trust me, there are plenty of them left, still! So many titles either unavailable, unreleased on vinyl or insanely high priced rare LP's etc. should come first in terms of reissues, I believe. But I don't know who calls the shots on this matter.

A thing I would appreciate is that if Elton's catalog simultaneously gets a full re-release on all his albums, including on CD. A lot of unreleased stuff, certain ones are out of print... Lots of good vinyl-only B-sides lying around out there still (I've said this a thousand times I know)... It could be pretty cool, with his upcoming 50th Bernieversary in June.

Ah yes, and one song per side please a la this one: Elton John - Victim Of Love

I don't give a damn, I love that record.

Jrr, jlf, andrewskyDE and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

There are three EJ albums i give a damn about, S/T, Tumbleweed, Madman, that's it.

14. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I might get Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic, since those are the only two Elton albums I really like.

The Revealer likes this.
  15. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Dang! I just spent ten bucks on ebay to get an original Capt. Fantastic because mine has a scratch in the first song. The thought of a completely fresh reissue is going to torture me until I own it. Elton was the first 'rock star' I fell 'in love' with. At ten, I had never heard the Who's Pinball Wizard. But Elton's version made me sing on my bed as if I was on a stage.

That's it for me, though. I left EJ behind a long time ago....

DigMyGroove likes this.
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Aren't all of those (except "West Coast") relatively easy to find in used stores?

Zomvid, Sean and Neonbeam like this.
  17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Difficult to find without some decent surface noise on the quieter tracks, as far as my experience goes.

Jrr, Christopher B, bootbox and 2 others like this.
  18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Madman please...

dalem5467, marmil and Alan2 like this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What a missed opportunity, I think. They should have done the re-releases ala the Bowie box set series, with lps dedicated to b- sides included. Then releases single lps from that, too.

This scattershot approach is a drag. When do I get my Tumbleweed Connection?

Only time, and the whim of some corporate decision maker, will tell.

telepicker97 likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I hope they do a better job on GYBR than the last time around.

Christopher B likes this.
  21. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Thanks for the news. Must have Madman at least.

22. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Call me when 11-17-70 is the full concert on 2 pieces of vinyl.

Mark B., BNell, Alan2 and 1 other person like this.
  23. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The QRP reissues of Herb Alpert is what blew my mind.

At this point, it's like "of course they're keeping all the presses busy with crap like Elton John reissues. New bands can't get records pressed...and all those records are available everywhere already, and cheap. Of course they'll press new ones and charge $29.99 per disc.

Fender Relic likes this.
  24. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

There's a super clean copy in my store right now for less than $10, still in the shrinkwrap.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely not an essential reissue campaign since used stores are full of Elton vinyl. But apparently some people are preferring expensive new vinyl.

Fender Relic and Christopher B like this.