Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They're everywhere for $2-$3. Might wanna grab a few.

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  2. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Brilliant!!

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Tried playing it on a Crosley.

4. Darrin Crawford

So that's why you hate it.

5. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

i can't believe they are not fixing those lyric booklets to the sleeve. My first copy of 'Don't shoot me' didn't have it (i bought it from a boot sale) and i thought it was odd that 'High Flying Bird' would be the only song to have the lyrics printed on the sleeve. Then a couple of years later my dad found a copy of the LP with just the booklet! no sleeve at all! So then i had the complete package. In 2017 to not replicate the original properly is just plain lazy if you ask me.

EddieT likes this.
  6. Personally I'm glad they don't staple the book inside. They usually get loose and eventually rip out.

Terry and e.s. like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I agree. I kept turning the volume down.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Caribou is excellent, especially the cover that almost, almost looks 3-D

Darrin Crawford and Mazzy like this.
  11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

It said out of stock yesterday when I ordered and it shipped last night.

Worth a shot..

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wow. That's good!

dasacco likes this.
  13. Darrin Crawford

I love to hear people getting a deal. Hope it works out.

EddieT and dasacco like this.
  14. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

Where from?

15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

So they didn't really fix Piano Player. Too bad. I think my German copy is much better than the domestic but still a bit funky. I still may try it though since I don't have perfectly clean copy.

16. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Played both Caribou and Don't Shoot Me... last night and they both sounded great. Vinyl pressing was good.
    Don't Shoot Me came in an anti-static sleeve, but Caribou was in the printed paper sleeve - leaving much pulp residue on the record which required a dust off before playing. Interesting, because on some of the other reissues they included the printed inner sleeves but put the vinyl itself in the anti-static sleeve.

Looking forward to the next batch - though only see Rock of the Westies on Amazon for preorder.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Do you have originals to compare? Any more detail on the sound on Don't Shoot Me considering the less than positive reviews in this thread so far?

I've already ordered both but just curious!

18. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I don't have an original to compare to, so I can't do the whole DJM/Uni/MCA etc. discussion. To my ears, on my system, I thought they sounded good. To be honest, Elton's early catalog was pretty well-recorded. Gus Dudgeon was a really dynamo when it came to technique and getting the best 'sound' from the band. So they have good material to work with. I can do a comparison with the '95 CDs but so far I've preferred the sound of these vinyls to the CDs.

I hadn't listened to Caribou in a long time and I forgot how much I like some of the songs on there - Pinky, I've Seen the Saucers, Ticking.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Have you compared the new DSM with the old US yet?

What do you think of the new Caribou?

Waiting for mine to show up!

20. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Pinky and I've Seen the Saucers are two of my all time favorite EJ songs. I also loved the b-sides from around the same period....Sick City and Cold Highway.

21. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I picked up my copies from a private seller on ebay - they were both new and he accepted my offer of £15 each - they are new, haven't played them yet but they look promising - I think you can probably get them for around £17-18 if you look around - Juno or What Records maybe...

22. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My under $14 Tumbleweed Connection showed up from Amazon yesterday. Good deal, but very short-lived. Happens a lot at Amazon, and this thread keeps pretty good track of them..

Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

I had previously purchased Captain Fantastic so here's my humble observations on both.

With Captain Fantastic, I was able to compare with a DJM original pressing, and a US MCA pressing. I found the new one warmer and quieter than both, but also less dynamic, and perhaps rolled off a bit in the highs, so while I still don't have a favorite version on vinyl, I'd lean towards the UK DJM copy even with a bit more surface noise.

For Tumbleweed I have two US copies, both MCA, and the new one was better than both. I like the MFSL CD of this one a lot, and for me it's still the one to beat, but for vinyl, I'm very happy with this new issue so unless a bargain on a near mint UK DJM pressing comes along this new one is fine.

Darrin Crawford and mpayan like this.
  23. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

Just got my Dont Shoot Me and Caribou yesterday and have listened to both a couple of times. I dont hear the brightness on "Dont Shoot Me" that others have. I felt that of the two, Caribou was the brightest. Both blew away the original Black (DSM) and Black Rainbow (Caribou) that I have. Very pleased with this whole reissue series, although I would agree... why no static sleeve with Caribou, my copy was covered with white stuff from the paper sleeve it came in. Probably will get Rock of the Westies and the much maligned Blue Moves when released. Now if we just get a quality Steely Dan campaign underway!!

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Good to hear these 2 beat the originals. I am looking forward to these arriving at my house Monday.

kcjayhawk likes this.
  25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream