Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I was glad you sold it! The SC goes for $150 now too... I've never looked for a better copy. I was actually able to compare it with a UK DJM and still preferred the SC, although they're close.
    My Fantastic isn't dead quiet, but it's quiet enough for me. The hard one for me is the S/T. So many quiet passages. I wish that Classic Records reissue had received better distribution.

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

As I've got the original LPs and they all sound great, no need -- thankfully -- for me to pick these reissues up.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

He was spotted in Vancouver in a couple of record stores a few days ago.

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Have you compared it to an DJM original? If so, what did you think?

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

In fact according to one article I read, he spent $1400 on vinyl in a Vancouver record store!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Elton chose the initial 6 titles himself as representative of his career.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. I have mostly UK originals of the early stuff through Capt. Fantastic, but would definitely put in for some of these, if they are well done.

8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

They're very well done. The records sound amazing, and the packaging is also beautiful - faithful to the original releases (e.g. Captain Fantastic comes with the Scraps booklet, Lyrics booklet and the poster).

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That sure makes you wonder! Why does he like Leather Jackets so much? So many others he could have chosen. I assume most of the others will be out soon.

10. Strat-Mangler

Why post this arrogant statement, especially considering the title of this thread?

Facts are that some reissues outperform their original counterparts and it's no secret DJM vinyl is known for being noisy. Plus, there's no telling what a nice-looking pressing will sound like or what it was played on. For those searching for the best-sounding versions of EJ's material, it's not so strange to want quiet new vinyl over one of questionable integrity.

Lifting your nose at people with a condescending tone does not look good on you.

11. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Get off your backside and hunt down great used copies. Much more fun than keep pressing the "Amazon" buy it button.

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

As has already been brought up, it's difficult to find used copies that don't have significant surface noise on the quieter ballads.

EddieT, Jrr and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I am still waiting and hoping for the remaining Greg Penny surround mixes to see the light if day, possibly on Bluray. Elton's management needs a kick in the pants on this kind of stuff.

PTgraphics and lennonology like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Says who? You? LOL!

I'm glad you have all the time in the world but some of us have lives. Your assumption that I just sit on my backside is laughable and drenched in ignorance.

optoman likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Shhhhh... You're making too much sense. In Russ' world, brash arrogance trumps logic.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Except that depending on where you are from, especially in the US, the domestic pressings starting with Caribou/Yellow Brick Road era were terrible because MCA's vinyl were horribly pressed for all their artists and I don't know why their artists put up with that. Very noisy pressings full of crackle and non fill, which wasn't good since many of his songs are quiet, and now that I am educated, it is obvious MCA wasn't given the masters to work with when you hear an imported copy. And, some folks like me just want to hear great music and don't have the time to hunt these down. I have bought, and waited patiently for, imports and they are almost always noisy from being played so much, but not from bad vinyl so they are still better than what we got. I remember hearing a screeching sound on Captain Fantastic on the track Bitter Fingers after getting a new copy in 1975, and now I know it was from non fill. So, at least for Elton titles, it makes more sense to hit the buy button and enjoy! For other artists, yes, the hunt is fun for me. But for Elton, time to raise the white flag.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  17. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I have found nearly all of Elton's catalogue in near mint condition in charity shops and record fairs for my mum and my auntie. Both huge Elton fans, as is my sister (but she is strictly digital!) You see his stuff almost as much as Paul Young in the charity shops in my area. Never paid more than a few quid. Maybe I just get lucky!

18. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

EXACTLY what thought when I read this.

19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I don't think Leather Jackets is part of the reissue - there is no source for this.

20. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Songs From The West Coast on vinyl is actually a good call though. At least for post-1976 Elton it seems to appear in most people's top 5 latter period albums and yet wasn't originally released on vinyl in 2001.

lpfreak1170, CybrKhatru and Jrr like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Except it is up for preorder. But it could certainly be a mistake. It was part of a pre-order email I got from either Elusive Disc or Soundstage and the link did work with all the specific info. Not that I ordered it! I was just shocked it was chosen for a reissue.

22. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Quite frankly NO IDEA what problem you guys have with Leather Jackets. As far as I'm concerned it's no better or no worse than any of his other 80's albums.

23. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Really?! Crikey. I will stand up for it vs Ice on Fire which I think is carried entirely by the one big single, but every other 80s album is far superior. It was also a commercial car crash.

However I'm someone who thinks his run of albums from 21 at 33 to Breaking Hearts is an underrated and really solid run. Actually I listened to Reg Strikes Back yesterday for the first time in a long time and thought it stood up very well.

24. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I really think there's something to be said for every album he made between the "classic" era and the Disney mishap. They all have very strong tracks and some not so much. Maybe Leather Jackets doesn't have that many very strong tracks, but it doesn't have so many weaker ones either afaic. So yeah...I stand by my statement ! :)

Rigsby likes this.
  25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Could you post the link? I couldn't find it on either of those sites (or Amazon).