Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Would be nice if all new LPs were priced similarly!

2. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Just noticed Madman Across The Water and Captain Fantastic vinyl are on pre-order for July 19. Are they just reissuing the 2017 versions due to demand? Anything different about these? Curious. And Madman vinyl from 2017 is on Amazon for $14.01.

Christopher B likes this.
  3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I think they are the same as 2017, but regular vinyl and not 180 gram. I could be wrong though.

4. crazywater

Says 180 gram on the listing. Probably just the same as 2017 but curious since the 2017s are still available. Ordered the 2017 Madman for $14.01. It seems like most of the vinyl from 2017 are under $20 right now. One Night Only is $15.63, Captain Fantastic $17.72, Tumbleweed and Don't Shoot Me are $17.68, Sleeping With The Past is $9.89.

Christopher B and JeffreyB like this.
  5. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I think Amazon's listing is wrong. Both Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds don't have these as 180-gram. I only checked Madman and Captain. :tiphat: Captain was listed as low-stock at AS, so maybe they are reissuing due to demand?

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I check on them just out of morbid curiosity from time to time (it’s fun to find out you jumped on something, it runs out and then pries are crazy). I do believe those titles had disappeared from most dealers, so I think they just did a repress. I hope for the sake of those buying they are as incredible as the first run. That second batch of releases were clearly not pressed at the same place and were much inferior.

7. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Bargain pricing. Too bad I had mine since their rereleases at regular pricing.

Strat-Mangler and Doctorwu like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

But those were outstanding...who knows how these were pressed. I think it was worth what we paid.

Christopher B likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

So the currently available Captain Fantastic is an inferior pressing??

10. crazywater

I don't think we know anything for sure yet about the ones that are out tomorrow. The 2017 issues are fantastic. I just picked up the Madman 2017 from Amazon for $14 before it was out of stock.

Christopher B, Jrr and CBackley like this.
  11. teag

teag Forum Resident

If you can get the first pressings of these reissues go for it. Everything, from the cover quality, to the vinyl quality, to the sound quality, is superb. At current prices, these are a complete steal.

Grohlfan and Jrr like this.
  12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Do we have confirmation yet that this second run is going to be different than the first run? I still needed to grab a few. Crap.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Not sure yet.

Amazon still has a few titles....I see a few are out of stock now.

EDIT: Acoustic Sounds has a few titles.

CBackley likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I was only saying the original reissue was beautifully done, and pretty much everyone else said the same. All those initial pressings of albums up to Captain were as good as it gets. Then they put out a second batch of reissues that started with Blue Moves, and some newer albums, and those were reportedly not nearly as good. So, my comment was that hopefully they pressed more of Captain Fantastic by whatever pressing plant did the first batch, and not by whomever did the second batch of titles.

CBackley likes this.
  15. crazywater

My Blue Moves was as good as the rest. I know some people had issues with it so I must have been lucky. I am thinking if picking up Too Low For Zero before that one disappears. Amazon has it for $17+. One Night Only was $15+ but not its up to $23.99.

16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just be aware a bunch pointed out that Too Low in particular was bad, which is why I didn’t buy it. But what the heck, you can always send it back. I was running into so many issues with other brand new vinyl and sending them back via Amazon that I have been taking an extended break from buying. I buy too much from Amazon for my business to risk getting my account closed over sending records back! I wish we knew the metrics on when they close your account. Seems to be a very well guarded secret. If not for that I would buy Too Low. And I hate returning things to my local store and getting them stuck with it, so for me based on all the bad comments unfortunately Zero is how many I will be buying. Please let us know how your’s sounds...I’ll take a chance if your’s is good. Congrats on getting a great copy of Moves. Bet it sounds fantastic! I would love to get it except for the minor problem of not liking the songs. But the packaging is lovely!

CBackley likes this.
  17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My Too Low for Zero sounded great. Dead quiet too. Got mine from Music Direct.

Jrr likes this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Glad to hear that. I know people that are unhappy can drown out the one’s that are so maybe the ratio was really skewed. I know a couple people here got multiple copies and all had issues. I couldn’t have been happier with the first wave of releases so if Too Low was of that caliber I think I’ll jump over to Amazon and get one. And blame you if it’s bad...lol! Thanks for the info....

Fyi....lets see if you can figure out this question....did you get the rollercoaster? Figure this thread is quiet enough to ask, assuming you know what I’m referring to!

Lovealego likes this.
  19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

My 2V40 was fine. Blue Moves - not so much. 3 copies and still Side 1 has noise. I gave up.

The rest were OK from beginning to end. A few had some pops but cleaning sorted it out. Just played The Big Picture last night and it sounded pretty great.

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

I don't know about the later EJ albums (after Captain Fantastic), but the 2017 reissues of the first 7 albums - Elton John through Capt. Fantastic - sound superb.

I realize I am leaving out Empty Sky, which was recorded before Elton John. Not sure if this was reissued with this wave or not. I always consider Elton John the first album because it was the first one we became aware of, if not the first one released in the States.

The Pop Kids likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The reissues sounded terrific but my UK 1st pressing of Capt Fantastic sounded better than the reissue. Much more open and alive. On my system, anyway. That's the only one I thought didn't sound as good as it could've.

22. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

No Rollercoaster yet, But i was first in line for the new James Bond Aston Martin 2 days ago. Half way through it and its a lot of fun.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Out of all the reissues, the only one I was a little disappointed with was One Night Only. Sound was great but mine was somewhat noisy surface on multiple sides. Maybe a good cleaning would help. Didn't have to do anything to the other reissues. They all were super clean and noise free for me.

24. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Empty Sky was in fact released as part of the series - albeit later on. It featured the UK album art.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wrong thread.