ELV1S 30 #1 HITS DVD audio Sound Quality?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joseph, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member Thread Starter

Now that I have a universal player I'm wondering how good the Elvis DVD-A sounds in two channel. I have both Elvis DCC's and the 16 bit of ELV1S 30 #1 HITS. Not much on the sound quality in the search I did.

Thanks.

2. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Lots of controversy on the m/c mix but the quality is much better than the stereo on the same disc. I'd say stick with the DCC or even the Redbook version of 30 #1 hits.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

This one you get for the multi-channel, such as that is. Otherwise, not really worth it.

ED :ed:

4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I have heard the Dolby track of 30´s Hits. The songs that where in good shape to make them in multichannel, sounds pretty good (Suspicious Minds, The Wonder of You....) and I think that the MLP must be much better.

Anyway, Elvis´ voice is most of the time in the front speakers, not in the center.

5. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Actually the disc also includes a Dolby Digital 2.0 representation of all the songs, whose audio quality easily surpasses the standard redbook layer (due to the much higher original encoding rate), the CD simply sounds lifeless in comparison!

It's still my feeling that this is a one-off 5.1 surround effort from BMG regarding the King. For the mono songs (and almost half of the album is in mono) they created fake echo in the rear and center speakers for the surround mix, yikes!

I personally would like to see BMG issue a revised 50's masters box set on hybrid stereo SACD's at some point. I think the material would benefit greatly from that technology if the right people were brought in to do the mastering...
    -wolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.