Elvis '68 Comeback Special DVD - Best Price?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by njwiv, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member Thread Starter

Costco has it for $29.99.

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

that's too much when most dvds are going for 15 to 20.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

For a three disc set? :confused:

Actually though, how about some prices from places where you don't have to buy a membership first?
    ;)

4. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member Thread Starter

It's selling for $40 - $50 elsewhere. Three discs, over 7 hours of content.

5. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

It's $49.95 at Best Buy. Pretty high. Did not see "Aloha Hawaii"
    and price. Anybody? :confused:

6. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. I actually have Sam's Club membership but a friend of mine is going to pick it up for me and that is a great price on this one. I appreciate the heads up . That's a 20 buck savings for me there.

7. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I got it for $20.59 at Circuit City-they were good enough to match Amazon.com's price, and take 10 percent of the difference off as well. Amazon was charging $20.99 and CC was charging $24.99. So they took off $4.40. Decent service!
    :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

The lowest I saw the Comeback special for was $39.99. At HMV in Montreal, it's $59.99.

9. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I didnt realize they were 2 and 3 disc sets. The old dvd was only a single disc, at least with the Aloha concert. I dont really like Elvis, but I would like to see how the Aloha dvd turned out compared to the previous dvd and the vhs.

10. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

With the 20% savings at deepdiscountdvd.com, the price was $30.

11. MJM

MJM Forum Resident

I must be way out of the loop on this one. This is a newly mastered version? It wasn't that long ago that the OOP US version was going for grotesque prices on eBay, etc. Then, of course, there was the Brazilian version that was being peddled online as well.

With regard to the DVD versions, I recall reading that they all lacked something. One version would exclude this song, one version was missing something else. After reading that, I just stopped my DVD search, and pulled out my 50th Anniversary VHS tape edition, which still plays perfectly fine. [The "50th Anniversary" signified Elvis' birth of 1935, so the version I have was relased in 1985.]

Perhaps this new version has all of the original footage, and the mastering is great (best of all worlds). Actually, if it's a 3-DVD set, it apparently has tons of extra footage. Sounds good--if the reviews are pleasing, I will buy a copy.

MJM

12. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I just received this DVD yesterday. The 2 standup shows alone are worth the price of admission. The video quality is excellent and the sound is very good (not SH quality, but what is). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Mr stats....how does one get a 20% discount at deepdiscountdvd???

14. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

I know it's a cliche, but if you haven't seen this DVD version of the '68 Comeback Special, you HAVE NOT SEEN IT. For my money, this was one of the most significant QUALITY and QUANTITY upgrades I've ever seen! I had just finished watching the new Fleetwood Mac concert DVD - supposedly filmed in Hi-Def. (The video quality of the Mac DVD did not knock my socks off at all.) I popped in disc #1 of the Elvis set, and it could have passed for Hi-Def! Well, that's an exaggeration, of course, but it looks superb! I've owned this content on VHS, laserdisc, and the old LightYear DVD releases, and there is NO comparison! Visually, it is spectacular.

What about the audio? Well, that's the potential rub for some here. As far as I'm concerned, the 5.1 presentation WORKS! (And I'm usually the first to complain on these fake 5.1 surround mixes... remember the Monkees TV series boxes? I didn't even like the "30 #1 Hits" DVD-A surround mix.) I'd definitely prefer the option to enjoy a superb mono mix, but I truly didn't think about it once the show started.

As MrStats said earlier, getting to see the 2 sit-down shows COMPLETE and in stellar video quality is easily worth the price. (I got mine at Costco.) I loved the way Elvis kept singing that snippet from "MacArthur Park" with an honest music lover's twinkle in his eye. He is so completely at the top of his game on these performances... it is humbling to see.

15. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I actually found the information on this forum. Under the coupon code, you'd type in SummerSale. Unfortunately, the sale ended on June 28. :(

16. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I agree 100%. Compare the performance of "Blue Suede Shoes" on the standup show vs the Aloha From Hawaii show. Enough said. I know I'm thread crapping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.