Elvis "Burning Love" rare dedicated mono DJ mix. It stinks but it's sure different!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Indy Mike sent this to me. My RCA-Victor 45 is stereo from day one. Guess I've never heard this before. Dreadful mix but pretty unique.

I guess this is what AM stations played on the radio....

2. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I, um...I actually like the way the bass is featured in this mix...

*Runs and hides*

GrahamBW, Shawn and BGLeduc like this.
  3. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

It sounds slightly warped or off center.

JDeanB and Tommyboy like this.
  4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Exactly how far down the street was Elvis from the rest of the band when they recorded this...?

- Kevin

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's just his chest a-heavin.

905 and Jimijam like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes it stinks! damn the stereo mix is light years better...where's the drums?

melstapler likes this.
  7. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

This dub
    The drums buried/bass way upfront was what caught my attention when I came across that dub.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I ran across this stereo 45 dub when looking for a mono mix Brown Sugar being discussed in another thread:

Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar - Vinyl Play

Drums and guitar are up in the mono Brown Sugar mix - sorta the opposite tack taken with the mono Burning Love.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Old Rusty likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It sounds way off centered. I had to stop listening.

vudicus and Ethan B like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Wow. Hadn't heard this before. It is a bit wonky, but I kind of like it.

supermd, hodgo and TonyCzar like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Very uneven. Elvis is totally hidden behind that bass.

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its been about 40 years since I listened seriously to Elvis, so my memory is hazy, but aside from the off center wavy sound, this seems fairly consistent with what I heard as a child. :shrug: But again, its been a few decades.

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Elvis' vocal is too far back in the mix, and yeap, off centre big time.
    what's up with that damn bass in the fore front?
    nasty!

15. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

This clip from the studio is fun to see. It´s a mock session out take for the film "Elvis On Tour", but it gives an idea of how the song was recorded. Nice to see a glimplse of Emory Gordy on bass guitar. And working live with hand mike was really different and probably a real headache when it came to separate the channels in the final mix.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I realize that the example of that mono promo mix was just an example, but damn, that off-center playback was brutal to sit through. No doubt that the entire "bottom end" and "thump" of the stereo version is missing on the mono promo mix. I would have rather had my AM transistor radio fall out of my hand from the "thump" of the stereo mix, then to have to suffice living with that "weakened at the knees" mono mix. Of course, I was only 11 years old when "Burning Love" was originally released and I was far too busy at that time wondering if I had a shot at any of the three young girls who just moved across the street, who were into "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree"! Talk about a hunk, a hunk of BURNING Love, LOL

pudgym, Ethan B and Ayshpaysh like this.
  17. I did too. But comparing it to the version on the Gold CD comp (my only source), the stereo one has much nicer drums and piano, and Elvis himself isn't burried.

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Do I hear cowbell?

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Despite the off-center it sounds more like a Pop Mix of the song. Interesting.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This thread, at the VERY least deserves an equally off-center STEREO version of the single (Not my video) ...

Robert C likes this.
  21. It's funny that I hear the off-center effect on the pitch here, in the intro... but not in the clip of the mono version!!.. :hide:

22. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

"Pretty unique" - ? Is that like being 'pretty dead'?!

You can't pre-modify an absolute!

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

RCA Victor spent the money for a dedicated mono mix for a reason here. The bass was tamed for a reason also. And the drums toned down for a reason. I know why. Let's hear your rationale for why the Stereo should have been aired on the average, older, AM air chain in use in much of small and mid town America then? Meaning that there was a CBS Volumax in the air chain at very best for processing, an older tube era console a la Gatesway, old Gates CB 77 turntables with Gray Viscous Damped tonearms, GE VR II cartridges in a few holdouts, and the transmitter a Gates BC 1T, BC5P, or BC10P, or similar. Older but not used up. Steve probably knows why also about that mono mix. Remember when this track was new, something even older than that airchain was what I began maintaining and operating from young. My reality was a Gates SA 40 board, Gates CB 11 turntables (which didn't play 45 RPM discs without a conversion kit, by then on all the time), Gray 108 tonearms, GE VR II cartridges, and the processing was a Gates Sta-Level, and the transmitter was a Gates BC-5P (the newest part of the system, installed in 1965). 1973 was when things got upgraded in that studio. And this was Oak Ridge, TN at that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Old Rusty, forthlin and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  24. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The backing vocals are way too loud you can hardly hear Elvis during the choruses

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  25. Yes, but conversely, on the stereo mix, they're too low!

mikrt17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.