Elvis Costello collectors get burned...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mjb, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjb

mjb Senior Member Thread Starter

Congratulations to anyone who bothered to shell out for import versions of the latest Costello album, the "Tear Off Your Own Head" single, or the Japanese "Smile" release, 'cause you just got burned.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/02-08/30.shtml

Elvis Costello to Release Limited-Edition Album

Will Bryant reports:
    To coincide with his fall tour in support of juggernaut "When I Was Cruel", Elvis Costello will release a limited-edition collection of live tracks, B-sides, and remixes October 1st. "Cruel Smile: Studio Mysteries, Airshots, Dub Mixes and World Tour Performances" collects five live performances from Costello's summer tour, a solo in-studio version of "Spooky Girlfriend" Costello performed with a beatbox at San Francisco's KFOG, and several remixes of album cuts and b-sides by The Imposter (one of several longtime aliases for Costello himself).

Cruel Smile also collects several tracks only made available in Japan, including a collaboration with Q-Tip and two versions of the bittersweet standard "Smile," which was originally recorded by Nat King Cole and others in the 1950's, but actually was penned as an instrumental for the 1936 silent classic Modern Times by its director, Charlie Chaplin. Previously unreleased outtake "When I Was Cruel (No. 1)" and two versions of the video for When I Was Cruel's "45" round out the collection. Tracklist:

01 Smile
    02 When I Was Cruel (No.1)
    03 Almost Blue [live]
    04 15 Petals [live]
    05 Spooky Girlfriend [live in-studio at KFOG]
    06 Honeyhouse (Cruel No.2) (Imposter remix)
    07 Revolution Doll (Imposter remix)
    08 Peroxide Side (Blunt Cut) (Imposter remix)
    09 Oh Well (w/ Q-Tip)
    10 The Imposter Vs The Floodtide (Dust and Petals) (remix)
    11 Watching the Detectives/My Funny Valentine [live]
    12 Dust [live]
    13 Uncomplicated [live]
    14 Smile [alternate version]

2. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Just like with the Bowie Japanese issue of "Heathen", I got the domestic special issue, and hunted down the UK CD single, that had the bonus tracks on it. What the heck, you've got to be careful and somewhat patient !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.