Elvis Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ah! Ok! Then,

2. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I just caught some Elvis films on afternoon TV last week. Viva Las Vegas and Clambake. Awesome fun to see again. There was another one set in the 1920's or so, but I had to go out.

3. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I have only seen Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas, where should I go from there?

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

King Creole!!!

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  5. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Seeing that next year is his 40th anniversary of his death hopefully we'll see more of his films on Blu-ray!

In fact next year I expect a whole slew of Elvis stuff coming out!

6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I would really like to see more Blu Ray releases for Elvis. To date, I think there is the following on Blu Ray: Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, Flaming Star, Follow That Dream, Viva Las Vegas, That's The Way It Is, and Elvis On Tour.

Many of his other films can be rented and streamed in HD. The Warner Brothers releases (with the giant ELVIS lettering in blue that fills the bottom half of the DVD cover) all seem to look great when streamed in HD. These could probably be released on Blu Ray tomorrow if Warners was willing. Some of the other movies would clearly need some more work done before they would be ready for a BR release.

The Clambake DVD is probably the worst disc I own. While they maintained the widescreen image, it's a non-anamorphic disc, so it's only using about 300 pixels of the 480 that are available. Plus, it looks like they used a third generation grainy print that is slightly out-of-focus. Terrible.

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

at the rate this thread is going we're never going to get to my mid 60's favs: speedway, worlds fair, the much maligned Girl Happy (girl happy, girl, girl happy :pineapple:)

bpmd1962, geo50000 and GuildX700 like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have 90% of his movies on DVD, I just ran across them in my DVD archives upstairs and brought the whole stack down to the mancave to watch. Never realized how many movies he made, wow. This is going to take some time to get through them all. I'm itching for Viva Las Vegas!

9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I watch the HD stream of Worlds Fair last weekend and it looked great! Would love to see this on disc.

the pope ondine likes this.
  10. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Trashman likes this.
  11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It looks like Clambake and Frankie and Johnny are the next two films to get Blu Ray releases, coming in August.

I'm especially happy about Clambake, as I've never seen a decent quality release for this film. The existing DVD is probably about the worst-looking disc in my collection. I've seen Frankie and Johnny as an HD stream previously and it looked pretty decent. Hopefully the Blu Ray will look even better. It's not my favorite Elvis film, but it's entertaining for what it is (and I enjoy Nancy Kovack's appearance in the film).

artfromtex likes this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Kid Galahad is also coming from Twilight Time in August.

14. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

No, he was trying to play 5-string open G tuning like Keith Richards.

Seriously, though, I've seen a lot of Elvis movies, but none of the black and white ones from the '50s. I can contribute much more once we get to like Blue Hawaii and beyond.

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

You have to have an all region player for that one, don't you?

Looking forward to these. I wish "Loving You", "King Creole", "G.I. Blues", and "Blue Hawaii" would come out. Those are the cream of the crop, IMO. I think "Loving You" could be the "Lawrence of Arabia" of Blu Ray musicals.

Awesome news. TT does a great job and I love their art choices and thorough booklets. Do you have a link?

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Looks like the release date is August 15 according to this page: Twilight Time's Release Schedule - Blu-ray Forum

I suspect that the sudden surge in new Elvis Blu Ray titles this August is to capitalize on the 40th anniversary of his passing. Would be nice if more Blu Rays were on the way after August, but we may just have to be content with a slow trickle of releases. Might be a long time before all titles get an HD release.

artfromtex likes this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Thank you.

Hopefully his better films will get a physical release before we're all dead!

18. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Link Please!

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Heavy Music and artfromtex like this.
  20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

It's region free and looks decent although there is some DNR in the transfer unfortunately.

artfromtex likes this.
  21. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

These are my favorites, but I'm also partial to 'Speedway' when Elvis was the racecar driver. I don't seem to have that one though.
    [​IMG]

22. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I dig the Elvis Racing films.[​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

the pope ondine likes this.
  23. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

I always found it a bit of interesting trivia, how: two people from the famous tv western The Virginian -James Drury and John McIntire- each co-starred with Elvis in a movie (Drury playing his brother in LMT and McIntire playing his father in Flaming Star!).

24. anfield ace

anfield ace Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Are the new Clambake, and Frankie & Johnny blu rays, definately region free?
    Cheers,
    Mal...

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

They are both region A locked. Kid Galahad is region free.

Sebastian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.