Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

hodgo and Clanceman like this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I can't think of any of the non soundtrack classic albums where the mainstream version betters it's FTD counterpart. The FTD's have better content and in most cases they also contain the best mastering

Clanceman, JimmyCool and mpayan like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't think many recent official mainstream releases are better than their FTD counterparts. Elvis Today comes to mind because the masters sound better on the Legacy Edition; however, the bonus content is probably better on the FTD edition even though the mastering leaves something to be desired because the studio outtakes are compiled together in one place (I think the 1975 live set from the EAP box set that is recycled on the Legacy Edition is mediocre).

The Legacy Edition of TTWII is also well done, but again, it comes down to what bonus content is more compelling -- a couple of mono singles and a great live concert versus session outtake material. This is an instance where both releases are worth acquiring.

4. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Is there any non-FTD releases that you think better or equal the sound of the FTDs (aside from the DCC/MFSL CDs since those are tops for that material).

5. PacificOceanBlue

The Legacy Edition masters for Elvis Is Back!/Something Fir Everybody, Elvis Presley/Elvis, On Stage/In Person, and From Elvis In Memphis/Back In Memphis sound as good as their FTD counterparts. In some instances they are different, but arguably equally as good.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks guys

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'd say Elvis at Sun is better than A Boy From Tupelo for the Sun masters. Also, the Sun acetates sound better on Sunrise than they do on A Boy From Tupelo.

I'd give the edge to Kevan Budd's 2006 mastering of the 1956 Elvis album, over the FTD version.

And as noted by hodgo, there are some budget standalone 60s soundtrack releases (most notably Viva Las Vegas) that are much better than their FTD classic album counterparts.

Lewisboogie, hodgo and JimmyCool like this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's a stretch to call the 50s box "a Sun CD." We were discussing standalone CDs that are focused on Sun. By that logic, one might just as easily say The Complete Masters box set is a Sun CD.

There's been three releases designed to compile all the available Sun material, in 1987, 1999, and 2012. What people are complaining about is that the 2012 release is OOP (and was a limited edition and never available at retail anyway) while the 1999 release is incomplete (superseded by new discoveries after its release). The logic is that there should be a good complete Sun set with everything, that's in print and readily available, given the importance of that stuff.

PacificOceanBlue and Matthew like this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Sunrise was incomplete at the of its release. Several outtakes that were available on the 1987 set were left off Sunrise. It contains only 9 outtakes. The biggest selling point was probably the first release of It Wouldn't Be The Same Without You.

czeskleba likes this.
  10. Agreed. And while I realize it's somewhat popular opinion to bemoan the recent quantity of Elvis 70's issues, I think it's more bothersome that we've seen seemingly countless Christmas titles issued vs. a decent 2 CD Sun compilation.

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes and many of the Christmas compilations have the piano intro to Silent Night chopped off!

Shawn likes this.
  12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I guess we're just going to have to disagree. :p To me, your list illustrates the point -- there hasn't been a definitive mainstream release of the Sun material. And it's been more than a decade since they even tried to release anything to the mass market. I just find it odd, given the significance.

Only the OOP, extremely limited and expensive FTD has really done this -- and it's NOT mainstream and NOT available. Yes, I "got mine" as they say... and I'm thankful I found one. Many FTD collector's didn't score one -- much less the mainstream market.

It's strange that they haven't tried to milk it.

hodgo likes this.
  13. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Indeed.

Personally I don't think any mainstream release needs to include ALL the content that featured on A Boy From Tupelo, but there is enough compelling material to compile a nice 2CD statement piece pooling from the acetates, outtakes, live material and of course the wire recording of the live I Forgot To Remember To Forget, which to date as not seen the light of day beyond rips of that YouTube video, which itself is just a digital camera pointed at the playback machine, capturing the audio via the camera mic.

No inline transfer has been heard as yet.

I actually think it would make for a pretty cool Record Store Day release to do a re-issue of the Sun "I Forgot To Remember To Forget/Mystery Train" 10", with the live version included there too.

hodgo likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

The holiday comps are typically issued time and time again to little or no fanfare; it isn't as if there is ever a relevant press release and fan discussion. They are a niche product for a specific purpose. On the other hand, the recent onslaught of 1970's era reissues have been mainstream, promoted and marketed, and have been chosen by the administrators of Elvis' Sony Legacy catalogue in place of a SUN collection. I think that is indeed the bigger issue.

hodgo likes this.
  15. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Still another Sun cd. Not bad for it's time and still sounds decent.

16. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The very first Elvis Sun album, this is a CD reissue of the UK LP, which came out in 1975.

17. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Correct. And the cd is from 1988.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I was not aware there was ever a CD version of this album. I assume it's a European pressing, not sold in the US, right?

19. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Well, it was a EU issued cd, but it certainly could be bought and sold in the US. But no, there wasn't a US version of it.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah... that's what I mean, but I wasn't clear. I meant it was not released by US RCA and would have been sold here only as an import.

21. Myke

Watching the extended version of 1981's This Is Elvis. Still remember how sad most of us were, even as late as 1981.

artfromtex and Rick H. like this.
  22. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I went to see that in the theatre a couple of times.

artfromtex likes this.
  23. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Thanks! Sorry I didn't thank you earlier!

24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Agreed!

For me Kevan Budd and Boppin' Bob are the best mastering engineers to work on the Elvis catalogue

JimmyCool likes this.
  25. Myke

I'm a Vic Anesini man myself. :angel:

MarkusGermany likes this.