Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. atomic powered poster

atomic powered poster Well-Known Member

We discussed the 75 shows here, and that is why i'm listening to the "big boss man" ftd right now. Great that elvis is breaking through the usual oldies phalanx. His voice is in good shape, and the reel to reel recording is, while not perfect, at least good enough to make this an enjoyable listen. Haven't heard this in a (long) while, but yeah, nice concert.

Suspicious Minds likes this.
  2. atomic powered poster

Why not? He has proved that he has no problem with releasing embarracing material (so Sony hasn't either), and Bootlegs with simular concepts were sold out almost after seconds.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Jorgensen has never released anything "embarrassing" on the magnitude or level of a book project. It is one thing to release a 1977 soundboard with a limited run of 4000 titles, and it is another to release book project filled with hundreds of unflattering photos and images from Elvis' final tour.

johnny q likes this.
  4. atomic powered poster

It isn't totaly unlikely for me. Many ftd-books represent phases in elvis carreer, and i think it is possible that this kind of books should cover elvis whole career someday, and that means that we will also see a book that represents elvis final tour, or year, something like that.
    I'm not saying that i am sure that this is going to happen, amd if it happens i'm not going to buy it, all i've said is that this is a possibility, because releasing only the show as an AR on FTD is not very appealing, i'm sure that most of the FTD buyers already own that one.

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I don't own it and I for one would sooner buy a CD than yet another weighty tome just to take a listen to the CD.
    I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Madison Square Garden book. Whilst I could afford it (at the moment!) I'm slowly getting to that point where I ask myself do I really need another massive book? Undoubtedly, I'll soon get the Fashion For A King 'Fear Of Missing Out' syndrome fearing the price will rocket when I finally do decide I want it and it'll be out of print, so I'll probably cave in and buy it anyway...

6. atomic powered poster

The MSG book is not a must have. Most of the best pictures are well known and there are way too many pictures of the press conference (meaningless - we have this on film), but together with the memories of those who have seen the shows and newspaper articles it is a nice overview over this event and i had a lot of fun reading it. But not an essentiel book by any stretch of the imagination.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

FTD has released a number of recordings/concerts sans books that have been well-bootlegged; Ernst doesn't necessarily put priority on non-bootlegged shows, he has hade it clear that if a show has historical significance, he won't hesitate to release it.

8. atomic powered poster

Yeah, i know that, but i won't buy a show again just because it is released on FTD, would you? If it is a really great show and the quality is way better? Yes. But an AR? The only thing i'm saying is, he could make more money when he would make a bigger project out of it, and is not just releasing a simple cd that is not to attractive, not even for the hardcore collectors. And in most cases when FTD has released a concert that was already released on a dozen bootlegs, and he hasn't had a better source than the bootlegers, he added an unreleased show as a bonus. Ernst knows what is out on bootlegs and what is not.

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I do not have all the FTDs but as I still get the occasional Elvis boot I believe I should support the label. I still buy FTD releases that I have on tape or boot. I am overall very pleased with FTD and hope they keep going. For the main Elvis catalogue I am slowly going the high resolution download route. Both Stax and Jungle Room are excellent as high resolution flacs.

Pants Party and johnny q like this.
  10. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Elvis in hi-res is a great route indeed.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  11. atomic powered poster

I prefere to by official products too, but honestly, i have paid a few thousand euro for ftds over the last years, so i have supportet them a lot (and still do) and i'm not going to buy a show a second time that i listened to exactly one time after i bought it.

12. Flaming Torch

Did anyone get the 4 lp Music on Vinyl of the Live on Stage in Memphis? I assume it would just be a vinyl version of the Legacy cds but I really do not know. Tried searching but found nothing.
    I feel a bit of a numpty for asking but how many different mixes of As Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis exist on official cd? I presume the Complete Masters 30 cd box and the recent Complete Albums use the original mix and running order.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  13. Flaming Torch

FTD have been pretty good in my opinion. There are things that bug ie as you pointed out not using the unique mixes for Hits of the 70s. However Bob's 1975 bootleg series release did not have the wonderful When I Paint My Masterpiece or the great Never Let Me Go.
    Re Hits of the 70s if Mr Semon wanted to release it that is fine with me (should have got it right though!)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  14. When In Rome

I noticed on TCM box a slight bit of phasing between the two album sides as if the two album masters hadn't quite been sewn together correctly. This is not present on The Album Collection. I found it's still very similiar sounding other than that. As well as those two there's the 1994 version, the Legacy version and the FTD version. Strictly EU, other countries pressing notwithstanding...

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I made a couple of CD-Rs of undubbed tracks from the January and February American Sound Studio sessions. These tracks come from the three 1969 Memphis focused FTDs that I own. One CD-R mimics From Elvis In Memphis and the other mimics Back in Memphis. I didn't include "Kentucky Rain" because it needs the overdubs to fill out all of the open spaces. The undubbed cuts, though, have a great power and are more than just an interesting listen. Although the overdubs do help in some cases, for the most part they are superfluous. Anesini's mixes on the FTDs are more balanced across the frequency spectrum than the original mixes. That's another bonus of the undubbed takes on the FTDs.

From Elvis In Memphis (undubbed etc.) 46 minutes
    "Wearin' That Loved On Look" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Only the Strong Survive" (take 12), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2
    "I'll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms)" (take 1), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2
    "Long Black Limousine" (take 9 with vocal repairs), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2
    "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "I'm Movin' On" (with vocal replacement and steel guitar overdub), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Rubberneckin'" (Take 2/Master), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 1
    "Power of My Love" (take 3), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Gentle on My Mind" (with track replacement overdub), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "After Loving You" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Any Day Now" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "In the Ghetto" (undubbed), From Elvis In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Who Am I?" (undubbed master), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2

Back In Memphis (undubbed etc.), 42 minutes
    "Inherit the Wind" (take 4 with vocal overdub 1), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 1
    "This Is The Story" (take 2), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Stranger in My Own Hometown" (jam take 1), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "A Little Bit of Green" (take 3 with vocal overdub 2), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind" (take 6), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "If I'm A Fool For Lovin' You" (take 9), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2
    "From A Jack To A King" (take 5), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "The Fair's Movin' On" (take 1 with vocal overdub), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "My Little Friend" (track with vocal overdub), From Elvis At American Sound Studio FTD, Disc 2
    "You'll Think Of Me" (take 23), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Suspicious Minds" (take 8), Back In Memphis FTD, Disc 2
    "Without Love" (take 5), Back in Memphis FTD, Disc 2

16. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Well the "let's combine them" crowd have got their wish with the next FTD. "The Last Movies" includes everything from Charro, TTWG and COH. It has to be said, very few outtakes (unless you like "Almost") so I concede separate releases would have been problematic. Also a two disc Lake Tahoe '74 set and a double vinyl Roustabout album.

Hep Alien and ClausH like this.
  17. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Last Movies

FTD is pleased to announce the release of ELVIS: “THE LAST MOVIES.” Finally, Elvis’ last soundtrack recordings are brought together in a cohesive release that works as a companion set for the FTD 7” Classic Album series. “The Last Movies” contains outtakes and an informative illustrated 16-page booklet with rare memorabilia and photos

THE LAST MOVIES 01 Change Of Habit (3:21)
    02 Rubberneckin’ (2:15)
    03 Let’s Be Friends (2:45
    04 Have A Happy (2:23)
    05 Let Us Pray (3:02
    06 Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (3:11)
    07 Almost (1:52)
    08 Charro (2:47)
    09 Let’s Forget About The Stars (2:29)
    10 Let’s Forget About The Stars (rough mix)* (2:27)
    11 Charro (rough mix)* (3:07)
    12 Clean Up Your Own Back Yard (undubbed master) (3:17)
    13 Almost (undubbed master) (1:55)
    14 Swing Down Sweet Chariot (movie version) (2:30
    15 Swing Down Sweet Chariot (female vocals and brass overdub) (2:16)
    16 Signs Of The Zodiac (duet with Marlyn Mason) (2:30)
    17 College Songs Medley (3:15) (Far Above Cayuga’s Waters* / Boola Boola* / Dartmouth’s In Town Again* / The Eyes Of Texas* / On, Wisconsin* / The Whiffenpoof Song / Fair Harvard* / Notre Dame* / Violet)
    18 Almost (takes 1-3*) (3:01)
    19 Almost (takes 4* & 6) (3:33)
    20 Almost (takes 10*-11) (2:11)
    21 Almost (take 13*) (1:58)
    22 Almost (takes 14-16*) (4:17)
    23 Almost (takes 22-25*) (4:31)
    24 Almost (takes 27-28*) (2:21)
    25 Almost (take 29*) (1:50)
    26 Let Us Pray (alternate vocal overdub) (3:09)
    27 Let Us Pray (M/vocal only) (3:07)

* Previously unreleased

Elvis In Lake Tahoe '74

Following on from the recent (”Las Vegas ’74” and ”Elvis In Atlanta”, releases, FTD’s ”LAKE TAHOE ’74” features shows from May 25 and May 26. This a 2-CD 5” digipack release.

Disc 1 May 25, 1974 – Dinner show
    02 I Got A Woman / Amen 6:20
    03 Love Me 1:35
    04 Trying To Get To You 2:13
    05 All Shook Up 1:17
    06 Love Me Tender 1:44
    07 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 2:2
    08 Johnny B. Goode 1:42
    09 Hound Dog 1:46
    10 Fever 3:06
    11 Polk Salad Annie 4:27
    12 Why Me Lord 2:51
    13 Suspicious Minds 3:48
    14 Introductions 1:47
    15 I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:21
    16 Help Me 2:47
    17 An American Trilogy 3:58
    18 Let Me Be There 3:06
    19 I’ll Remember You 2:30
    20 Big Boss Man 3:18
    21 Heartbreak Hotel 1:47
    22 Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:38
    23 Closing Vamp 0:46

Disc 2 May 26, 1974 Dinner show

01 See See Rider 1:51 (starts late)
    02 I Got A Woman / Amen 5:59
    03 Love Me 2:08
    04 Trying To Get To You 2:06
    05 All Shook Up 1:05
    06 Love Me Tender 2:11
    07 You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me 2:04
    08 Hound Dog 1:20
    09 Fever 3:07
    10 Polk Salad Annie 5:31
    11 Why Me Lord 2:53
    12 You Gave Me A Mountain 3:17
    13 Suspicious Minds 3:50
    14 Introductions 2:32
    15 I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:48
    16 Help Me Make It Through The Night 2:33
    17 Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:20
    18 Let Me Be There 3:35
    19 Big Boss Man 3:59
    20 Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:40
    21 Closing Vamp 0:54
    All tracks recorded live at the High Sierra Room at the Sahara Tahoe Hotel, Stateline, Nevada

Roustabout - 2 LP Ltd Edition 180gram Vinyl Set

Pre-release sales of FTD’s recent “ROUSTABOUT” Classic Album exceeded all expectations reflecting the appeal of the original #1 album. The release of this LIMITED EDITION 2-LP set will be no exception. It contains STEREO REMIXES of the Soundtrack, outtakes and MONO masters. Mastered at Abbey Road, London, the180 Gram discs feature reproductions of the original RARE RCA ‘Hollywood’ pressing plant LP labels.

SIDE 1
    01 Roustabout — NOV take 9 (movie version) (2:14)
    02 Little Egypt — AO take 15/M (record version) (2:33)
    03 Poison Ivy League — BO take 7/M (2:19)
    04 Hard Knocks — CO take 11/M (record version) (1:53)
    05 It’s A Wonderful World — DO take 13/M (2:07)
    06 Big Love Big Heartache — EO take 17/M (2:17)
    07 Roustabout — NOV takes 14-16 (2:58)
    08 Roustabout — NOV take 17/M (record version) (2:15)

SIDE 2
    01 One Track Heart — FO take 5/M (2:25)
    02 It’s Carnival Time — HO take 2/HOV take 9/M (record version) (1:50)
    03 Carny Town — JO take 9/M (1:29)
    04 There’s A Brand New Day On The Horizon — KO take 5/M (2:13)
    05 Wheels On My Heels — LO take 7/M (1:28)
    06 Roustabout — NOV takes 1-5, 6 (7:21)
    07 It’s A Wonderful World — DO take 17 (instrumental) (2:02)

SIDE 3
    01 I’m A Roustabout (2:13)
    02 Hard Knocks — COV take 4 (movie version) (1:55)
    03 Roustabout — NOV takes 7, 8 (3:00)
    04 Little Egypt — revised, AO take 21 (part used for movie version) (2:52)
    05 It’s Carnival Time — (HO take 2/HOV take 12, movie version) (1:50)
    06 Roustabout — NOV takes 10-12 (4:47)
    07 Roustabout — NOV take 13 (2:10)

SIDE 4 - The Mono Soundtrack Album
    01 Roustabout (2:01)
    02 Little Egypt (2:21)
    03 Poison Ivy League (2:05)
    04 Hard Knocks (1:45)
    05 It’s A Wonderful World (1:51)
    06 Big Love Big Heartache (2:03)
    07 One Track Heart (2:18)
    08 It’s Carnival Time (1:35)
    09 Carny Town (1:13)
    10 There’s A Brand New Day On The Horizon (2:03)
    11 Wheels On My Heels (1:25)

Source: theelvisshoplondon.com

18. Pants Party

No sign yet of Kissin' Cousins.

Anyway, how were these "last movies" released at the time? EPs? Was there even a soundtrack release?

EDIT: never mind, Wikipedia just told me. There was not a soundtrack released for these three films -- just some singles.

19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

They were released as singles and on Camden albums.

Pants Party likes this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Pretty weird track sequencing on that one. Not chronological, nor the usual masters-first, outtakes-second approach.

Hep Alien, johnny q and When In Rome like this.
  21. Pants Party

I'm so dang behind on my FTDs! Dig that cover....

[​IMG]

22. Can't find it on elvis.com. Can you provide a link?

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I like that cover. It's a real grab bag though. I'm not overly excited by the track lineup (or the unimaginative title), but I'll happy add it to my collection.

24. When In Rome

As I mentioned on another forum, technically shouldn't it be called 'The Last "Scripted" Movies'... :D
    I don't know quite what I expected from this eventual 'mopping-up' release but there's certainly no major surprises here and I find it somewhat underwhelming...

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. atomic powered poster

Totally unappealing announcements imo.