Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

No way. I suspect another "autopilot" show - same songs, annoying "dive bomb" routine and throwaway versions of his hits, with the second show not even complete. Seems like an opportunity to chuck $35 down the pan.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That feeling is starting to be shared by a growing number of Elvis enthusiasts. The mid-1970's era soundboard releases are losing their appeal.

Clanceman and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Agreed. :agree::help:

Clanceman and Flaming Torch like this.
  4. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I am personally sick of the soundboards at this point. They keep releasing them though, some people must are buying them then.

Clanceman likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There is a faction of Elvis enthusiasts who love soundboards and substandard mid-1970’s era concerts. They enthusiastically support and campaign for theses releases. My understanding is that many of these soundboard releases sell relatively well (IIRC, last year the “Elvis Las Vegas 74” and 1975 “Elvis In Atlanta” releases sold out of their first production runs, resulting in second pressings).

I am personally finding it more and more challenging to support so many mediocre and substandard soundboard releases. Sometimes there are interesting aspects to certain shows or interesting performances, but for the most part, they are not good concerts. I still haven’t played “The Bicentennial Show” release from a few months back.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  6. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Soundboard pressings started off at 3000 but that has been dropped to 2500 in the last couple of years. I heard they got the numbers wrong on the Vegas 74 and Atlanta by only pressing 2000 and then sold out, so they repressed another 500 this year.

As you say, there are diehard fans who must have everything regardless of the show or recording quality, and just to have their collection complete. I doubt if you did a bind test, that apart from possibly knowing the year, they would have little idea what actual show they were listening to.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  7. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

You actually answered your own question.

I know this already, but you said the only way the original mix is available is thru large expensive box sets and that is not true. you can actually find the original mix on LP /CD for around $10 bucks.

8. Myke

I just got the last Elvis Is Back FTD from Now Dig This, approx. $37.00. I was listening to the DCC a couple of days ago, and I was reminded what a stellar album this is.
    Of course I want to dig deeper. Now I will.
    I really thought this was long gone OOP, but they apparently had the one copy (sold out now), and The Elvis Shop London had a copy (or more ?), another store I already forgot, so they're still out there.
    In the results of a search I did here, of the forum, other members were saying how it was OOP, and overpriced. :shrug:

9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Congratulations on finding a copy Mike.

This is a fabulous release, almost two hours and forty minutes of perfection, Elvis back in the studio after a two year break and he's on fire.

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sounds good. I would like a Memphis 69 sessions complete box type thing and some more 60s mono. Oh and I guess a good 72 Elvis on tour package. I also hope they keep going with the high resolution downloads.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  11. Myke

Thanks Graham. Yeah, the goosebumps from the DCC told me it was time I dig deeper.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I buy most of the FTDs (soundboards and studio) as they come out but I have not yet purchased the last 2 soundboards (both from 74). I use the Elvis Concert File book to help navigate these various tours. Like many on here I too am dive bombed out. I wish JD well and I know we can blame Elvis and I guess if you attended a show it was probably fun/ok. Perhaps there lies the rub we really are not meant to be listening to whole shows 40+ years after they took place.

13. hodgo

Mike, you've inspired me to pull mine out, I'm now warming up the valves on my amps and in ten minutes time it'll be giving me those goosebumps too. :righton:

MaestroDavros, melstapler and Myke like this.
  14. Myke

I'm working on giving links to the 2 members lusting after their own copies of the FTD.

hodgo likes this.
  15. hodgo

Yes do that Mike, it's best to help someone in our little community here at the SHF.

MaestroDavros and Myke like this.
  16. hodgo

Now that it was mentioned by Ernst a while ago, I'm really want that Expanded "Viva Las Vegas" set sooner rather than later, it really does deserve the same high quality treatment that "G.I Blues" got.

Brian Mc and MaestroDavros like this.
  17. Myke

There's 10% @ Official Graceland Store - use code MAYMEDIA10 - 3 Days Only ! Today-Sunday

Unfortunately this doesn't include FTD's

Graceland Official Store

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I agree with everyone, that the mid/late 70s soundboards have lost their appeal in a big way. And this is coming from an Elvis completest. I didn't even purchase the last two soundboard releases (Murfreesboro/Omaha) and the last one I did purchase (Vegas 74) I have still yet to listen to all the way through. There is just too much "sameness" to make it worthwhile and the performances are often perfunctory at best.

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Agreed. I have almost zero interest in new soundboards at this point unless they unearth some goodies from '71-'72. Alas, I have a sickness and will continue to collect them as they come out. High on my FTD wish list:
    • For LP Fans Only
    • Gold Records, Volume 5
    • Expanded Viva Las Vegas set
    • Revised Today set
    The idea of complete sessions sets intrigues me as long as they do it right. Every take of every song remixed from the multis.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do you guys see the Gold Records 3 and 4 on FTD as essential?

What of the last 15 or so releases are ones you do consider good ones?

Sorry, havent been keeping up with the thread the past couple of months.

21. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Gold Records, Volume 3 has one and a half discs of outtakes. In addition the original album was a great compilation of some top-notch early '60s singles.

Gold Records, Volume 4 is much less essential (IMO, of course). The original album was a hodgepodge of non-hits. Disc 1 also has a handful of alternate takes (some of which appear to be newly created spliced takes). Disc 2 only has a mono mix of the original album (likely a fold). Very much an "eh" release but necessary if you're a completist, I suppose.

I think that FTD could do a lot with Volume 5 if they ever get to it.

MaestroDavros, mpayan and hodgo like this.
  22. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Away from FTD, the latest MRS release Complete 50's Movie Masters 5CD/Book is excellent value. It's worth it for the book alone.

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have not bought any post-1972 soundboards in years so I can't comment on those.

I would say these discs from the past three years are good.

King Creole (The Thorne Nogar mixes are great and they are all sourced from tape).
    Live A Little, Love A Little (Many new outtakes)
    NBC TV Special
    A Date With Elvis (The original album in great sound and a disc of home recordings from Germany in decent sound)
    The Last Movies

24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it looks as if FTD releases are excluded from this promotion.

25. Myke

Didn't see the fine print, sorry. @hodgo, Could you please do a little creative deleting please ? My heart was in the right place, just not my eyes. :hide: