Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Is anyone able to try the same process with On Stage Legacy (or TCM disc of same) and On Stage FTD? Reports, both positive and negative, appear to suggest that at least this release is different from the TCM?

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I think they would sell more if they cut their prices in half. I know that seems obvious, but I believe it's ultimately content that sells, price is merely a condition. As Zodiac said, I'm ready to tap out and just waiting for the last few classic album releases. And if these soundboards were $15 I might be inclined to put one in the cart when buying the Classic Album content that I want.

Case-in-point -- this new Off-On Stage release. I don't think I'm going to buy it on it's own for $30. But when buying what I want, I might put it in the cart at $30 -- but would definitely put it in the cart at $15. If that makes sense.

But that's me... I have tons of soundboards. Newer customers probably feel differently.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I hear you, I know the general pricing has continued to go up over time. But I do remember that when the "New Years Eve" two-disc set was released, the first of its kind IIRC, the price was the same as the single disc pricing, and FTD stated it was essentially a two-for-one deal. The same concept has remained in place since that time. Price increases have never officially been due to the extra CD content, although, that could be a factor.

4. I don't buy soundboards as a rule - the "Off-On Stage" is a multi-track recording release which interests me much more - I tend to stick to "Classic Albums" where they interest me and fill out a few gaps here and there with Legacy releases and even the odd RCA/BMG release of old. I agree with you though in as much as I would also be tempted to buy some lesser SQ releases where they are more acclaimed by the more knowledgeable members here, if and only if they were much cheaper. FTD can be prohibitively expensive. Meanwhile Sony is peddling more naff compilations and overdubbed recordings for the "mass market" such as it is. There is little in-between or middle ground it seems to release well procured collections of multi-tracks / soundboards from a particular period at retail. I know we have had Prince From Another Planet and TTWII but compared to FTD, that isn't a lot.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    hodgo likes this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I made a decision early on to buy all the Legacy Editions as they were released. I am really glad I did. It makes a really nice sub set in my overall Elvis collection.

RSteven likes this.
  6. Is there a link anywhere or can someone please provide a list of all known Legacy releases? When I visit the Sony website I usually only see the latest comp or the last reissue. Hopefully a list must exist somewhere.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ditto!

artfromtex likes this.
  8. artfromtex

I am not a soundboard guy, either. I do recommend "Return To Vegas" and "On Stage Season". For soundboards, the sound quality is surprisingly good. But more importantly, the performances are a 10/10.

9. artfromtex

Legacy Editions:
    Elvis Presley
    Elvis Is Back!
    From Elvis In Memphis
    On Stage
    That's The Way It Is
    Elvis Country
    As Recorded At Madison Square Garden
    Aloha From Hawaii
    Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
    Today
    Way Down In The Jungle Room

10. I'd heard that disc 1 of "On Stage Season" was blighted by overloaded mic issues / distortion. I do have "Return To Vegas" because of its historical importance.

Suspicious Minds likes this.
  11. Many thanks! I have just found this site:

Elvis Presley CD Info **RCA - BMG - FTD - Promotional CD - Import CD**

artfromtex likes this.
  12. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

When you buy new FTDs - do you typically buy from shopelvis.com or other sites?

13. PacificOceanBlue

If you like the February 1970 engagement, the "On Stage Season" is essential listening. There is some mic overload/distortion on the opening night reel, but it is not glaringly bad. The closing night performance is one of the best documented Elvis concerts available.

Mylene, Dave Hoos, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  14. I'm in the U.K. so I use Now Dig This or The Elvis Shop London.

15. Okay, if you had On Stage legacy already would you buy "Season" before On Stage FTD? I checked out Polk Salad Annie but sadly being out of print it is very pricey so I'm looking for the next best thing from Feb 70.

16. PacificOceanBlue

That is a tough call. The "On Stage" Legacy Edition is not a particularly thorough review of the February 1970 engagement, rather a two-fer with a slightly expanded single disc reissue of the original album (that contained two 1969 performances) and the stellar 1969 "In Person" live album. The FTD edition of "On Stage" dives into the February 1970 reels and offers a relatively deep selection of performances from the February multitrack reels. As far as sound quality is concerned, FTD's "On Stage" is not going to be topped, especially by the "On Stage Season" release. I would start with FTD's reissue of "On Stage" if I were picking one, but keeping "On Stage Season" in the shopping cart so-to-speak, because it is essential for Elvis enthusiasts, especially the aforementioned closing night concert.

Dave Hoos, Hep Alien, Mr. H and 4 others like this.
  17. You have convinced me I need both so I will get them both together! The two will 'only' cost me as much as Polk Salad Annie would cost now anyhow.

Thank you for your considered opinion.

18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I have the On Stage Season FTD and the Legacy On Stage CD. Do I NEED this Off-On Stage FTD...?:shh:still thinking ...

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Completely unrelated to the ongoing interesting discussion. I played the FTD Frankie and Johnny yesterday. As usual great band and Elvis as always sounded great. Bit of tape hiss which I really don't mind and I thought it was a great sounding disc. Songs of course were mostly poor/below par although I like Please Don't Stop Loving Me and Beginners Luck. Recommended if you like the soundtrack stuff which oddly I do. Great bunch of musicians and a Radio Recorders Studio B Hollywood recording. Engineer was Dave Weichman for these sessions in May 65. Had Thorne Nogar already left?
    These FTDs are pretty special and I doubt we will see their like again.

MaestroDavros likes this.
  20. No, apparently you need "On Stage" FTD first! ;)

Dave Hoos likes this.
  21. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Yes Thorne Nogar's last main sessions with Elvis were for the "Girls! Girls! Girls!" soundtrack in 1962. He does seem to stick around Radio Recorders, and I do know that he became the annex facilities manager in 1965 when it was renamed "Annex Studios". However, he did one final session with Elvis on August 2, 1965 for "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" (oddly Keith Flynn's site used to be correct about this fact, but it has been altered to Dave Weichman which is incorrect). Nogar is clearly audible during this date's proceedings, which was also also the only session for the album where Elvis did songs with the band, although there were a few vocal overdubs that date as well. What is interesting is on one of the later sessions for that album Elvis jokingly remarks to Weichman during a breakdown "go back to the other studio", implying that Weichman was needed at the annex (engineer sick?) and Nogar was moved over to Studio B for that date and that date only. Without proper paperwork detailing engineering information of all the Radio Recorders studios during early August 1965 all we can rely on is guesswork such as this. However I find it to be a suitable theory given the circumstances.

mikrt17, Hep Alien and Flaming Torch like this.
  22. artfromtex

Here's a pretty detailed review of "On Stage Season":
    'The On Stage Season' - FTD Classic Album CD. EIN review

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This was two weeks ago tomorrow.
    Still hasn't arrived. Is my worrying unwarranted ? Trevor seems like the sort that would refund my money, should this actually be lost in the mail.
    Likely I've been spoiled by all my international purchases arriving in 10 days lately.

24. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Besides the In Person at the International Hotel comp and Today, Tomorrow, and Forever box set, has the 8/22/69 midnight show been officially released?

25. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Three tracks on Collectors Gold, and five tracks on Today, Tomorrow, and Forever.

Hep Alien and mgb70 like this.