Embarking on a Grateful Dead journey (all purpose thread, second set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

What he said. Never saw this happen to anyone in countless GD shows (1987 on). Not a worry at all.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

3. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Well, for purely technical reasons, why would I want to collect cassette tapes in 2014? Why would I want to own a cassette player in 2014??

Sure, in the late 70's, I had my stash of cassettes of favorite shows -- Great American Music Hall, late April 1971 at the Fillmore East, etc.

Today, tons of these shows are on much higher quality cd releases. And those that aren't are available as digital downloads from fans who've done marvelous work with soundboard, audience, and "matrix" presentations.

Today I own way more live Dead than I ever have. Let me count . . . 81 "albums" on my server. Plus maybe a dozen more that haven't made it to my server yet.

4. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

That's pretty much how I suspect most people feel. I dunno... I guess I just thought that it would somehow make me feel better in a nostalgic sort of way if there were folks still doing it, that's all.

5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Can somebody explain "Grayfolded" to me? I mean, how exactly was this done? The Wikipedia page doesn't have enough information that it makes any sense to me.

Sounds real interesting. Can someone please explain to me in extremely simple terms what they did with all of the recordings, and how, exactly, they did it?

Thanks.

6. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I know what you mean about that . . .

To me the music rekindles the nostalgia. Over the years I've gotten less and less nostalgic regarding THINGS; I no longer have my lp collection from the '70's, nor those bootleg Dead cassettes, nor my concert T-shirts, etc. I've moved a number of times, remarried, and just don't hang on to so many possessions from the past. But my wife and I listen to music a LOT, and lots from the '70's.

I just downloaded a copy of my first Dead show; not a highly collectible show, or one anyone ever talks about, but hey at least it was MY first :) (May 1979, UMass Amherst, MA)

7. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

That was my first show too...

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've only heard a bit of this but I understand John Oswald got access to many versions of "Dark Star" and did various digital editing tricks with them.

9. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

Oswald took countless scraps of live 'Dark Star' recordings and wove one AMAZING quilt. Highly recommended, with an emphasis on the 'high'. :cool:

10. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I only listened to 'Grayfolded' recently - enjoyed it. I got it from the library, so I only gave it one listened, though.

Also this past week I got Infrared Roses from the library - enjoyed that one a little better.
    Bralove was on the Tales XM show a few weeks back and had nice discussion about it with Lambert and Gans.

Both are cool concepts.

11. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

In one of Bobby's recent interviews, he mentioned that after a particularly bad gig, Garcia told the drummers that he felt like he was playing guitar with a popcorn machine as a rhythm section.

Crispy Rob, osbie feel and Olompali like this.
  12. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There are old and young new to the band that are more than glad to take cassettes off old traders hands when offered up.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I appreciate the various oddball instruments that Mickey contributed to the drums segments, but other than that, I feel like the drumming was often the weakest part of the band (well, except in the Vince era), primarily because Mickey is not that great a drummer, and also has a very different feel than Billy (ahead of the beat and not swinging at all). They gelled well at times, especially in 68-'70 and '77, but the two drummer rhythm section was often detrimental. (However, Mickey's songwriting contributions to Fire, Playing and Greatest Story were essential, and he did bring a lot of energy to the band).

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Regarding cassettes: I had hundreds of them but dumped most of them recently. I still have a few that mean something to me but once it became 10 years since I played a cassette it was time for them to go.

Most were not very good sounding (I learned the grade of "A" meant many different things among traders) or else I'd have made more of an effort to find a good home.

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Ok - great news: Bob Weir and Ratdog are coming to my backyard in August - they will be playing the St. Augustine Ampitheatre which is only about 30 mins away. Super psyched as I have never seen the Dead nor any incarnation of the spin off projects. So, first time for me.

Even better is it is a double bill with the Chris Robinson Band.

Which is interesting since I've been taking a bit of a Dead break (mainly so my stepkids don't revolt after 4 months of nearly non stop Dead music in the house/car) and have been filling the gap with Black Crowes and Robinson's solo work - which I am digging a lot.

On another note, I picked up the MFSL Garcia/Grisman SACD - there is a thread on that but not much action - I understand that the original CD has great sound so maybe people aren't as motivated to pay a higher price for the SACD for only incrementally improved sound. But.... having never owned the original CD, I can say that the MFSL is basically breathtaking in its clarity and detail. And what a great disc. Jerry sounds so relaxed and comfortable.

Part of me wonders if he didn't appreciate, or enjoy, his side projects more after the wild success of In The Dark. Reading the Dark Star bio it seems as though the success clearly weighed on him and was a sharp double edged sword so I'm thinking he probably relished the quieter side projects as they had much fewer moving parts.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    zongo likes this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Congrats on finally getting to see a former GD person.

Sandinista likes this.
  17. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Was listening to Phosphorescent Harvest on the way to the golf course today. First impressions, loved the first song and the last couple. Kinda zoned out in the middle of the disc thinking about my swing :shrug:

Love me some Crowes. I miss them :cry:

Erik B. likes this.
  18. Sandinista

It's a grower - I was pretty lukewarm on first couple listens but have been warming up to it.

19. osbie feel

osbie feel Well-Known Member

dajokr and LandHorses like this.
  20. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Bad luck.
    http://www.deadheadland.com/2014/08...cancel-remaining-2014-shows-and-jamiaca-2015/

21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

22. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I was burned out from exhaustion buried in the hail
    Poisoned in the bushes and blown out on the trail
    Hunted like a crocodile ravaged in the corn
    "Come in" she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

trouble ahead trouble behind

24. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Holy moly, his guitar tone is worst than what George produced at Twickenham!

25. Sandinista

Yeah, I heard about this last night - pretty bummed - my wife and I were really looking forward to it for a number of reasons not the least of which is it has been super stressful this summer trying to sell our home while another is being built - the Weir/Robinson ticket was our big summer fun thing, so to speak.

I hope Bob pulls through - well, I am assuming he is very sick and that's why they are cancelling 5 months out but I don't know - has anyone heard any details?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.