Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Trilogy" (2014) CD+DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Now we can move on to the "this will sound like crap predictions".

Forget the May 19, that is just the date they will use to replace pakages lost in the mail. People will be asked to wait past that date before a second copy is sent out.

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

For Relayer, I waited two months past the date, called them up and they sent me a new one. The first one showed up the next day. Fortunately, a coworker is a huge Yes fan and hadn't order it yet so he bought it from me. I was honest and called them back so I payed for both.

Vaughan, spencer1812 and eelkiller like this.
  3. spencer1812

spencer1812 Forum Resident

Mister... You're a better man than me.

kenbefound and willy like this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

incl. the "new" song "Living Sun"

Why they can't hire a proof reader?

JediJoker likes this.
  5. moni

moni Forum Resident

Mines still hasn't dispatched yet from Amazon UK despite preordering it on the 22 September 2014 last year.

6. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Well, it "would be" a new song if one had been recorded. :rolleyes: Sorry Claus, couldn't resist. ;)

Actually Sony has taken the cheap route in many ways, example, not one color photo in the "BSS" Deluxe issue. :mad:

Rick A.

7. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert?
    The original album suffers a lot from tape hiss, that buries many details especially in the long and very low intros. The new stereo mix has the hiss removed and you hear things you never heard before. The new mixes differ a lot especially in the use of different echo and rooms on the vocals and some intruments. It sounds like being recorded yesterday. BUT - especially in the loud parts (no compression or brickwalling) it lacks the warmth of the original.
    The 5.1. is good fun with many pianos and keyboards in the back.

mshare, GeoffC, dougb222 and 8 others like this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine's on its way from Burning Shed.

9. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Just got the email from Amazon UK to say mine is dispatched. It was pre-ordered on 19 September 2014. Price including delivery £10.44

10. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. Nice essay by Chris Welch in the booklet. Oddly, it just says Emerson, Lake and Palmer on the outward facing spine, and Trilogy Deluxe Edition on the opposite side. Don't know if that was intentional or not. I'll play the discs tonight, Trilogy is my favourite ELP album.

Bemsha and JediJoker like this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

BSS was the same. Looks ugly on the shelf. Don't know why they couldn't have continued the design they had for the spines on ELP and 'Tarkus'.

jsayers likes this.
  12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

+1

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Is it a digipack? I'm guessing the spine will be dented/creased, as usual, when mine arrives...

kenbefound likes this.
  14. eelkiller

I am positive mine will arrive dented, no negativity here. :)

kenbefound, jl151080 and willy like this.
  15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I paid £11.78 ($17.90) including delivery to New Jersey, USA. Not bad at all considering that a domestic Amazon order would cost me $34.23 with the sales tax!

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The remix is a pain.... I can't recommend this reissue!!!

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

So if this is a swing and miss, what CD version is the one to grab? Is there a Diament, or is the MFSL the one?

18. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

That you don't like it tells us nothing (other than you don't like it).

So please say WHY you don't like it.

pantofis and Anthrax like this.
  19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Trilogy

1. Atlantic 7567-81522-2 Made in the USA by WEA

3 19123-2 SRC=03 M2S3 in the deadwax.

2. Victory 3834800192 Made in the USA by JVC

3834600192 1C12 Made by JVC in the dead wax.

3. Mobile Fidelity UDCD 621 Ultradisc II Made in the USA by JVC

JVC UDCD 621 2E 0 0 in the dead wax

4. Rhino R2 72226 Made in the USA by WEA

3 R2 72226-2 03 M1S3 Y10756 in the dead wax

Trilogy has puzzled me for many years, having only ever heard the Mobile Fidelity and Victory/Rhino CDs (apart from Island and Manticore UK vinyl about 30 years ago). I have never liked the sound of this album much on CD (or vinyl for that matter) – the cymbals have always sounded confused and phasey – very prominent, but sort of rolled off - to me, while the rest of the album appears to be well recorded.

Well, it appears that some attempts were made by both Joseph Palmaccio (Victory, Rhino, Sanctuary versions) and Mobile Fidelity to roll off the quite bright cymbals on the master tape, because on the bright Atlantic CD, the phasiness is not present. The cymbals are bright, yes, but still sound relatively true, whereas the other two don’t. Greg Lake’s vocals also sound more real on the Atlantic. I didn’t expect this result, as most forum members point to this album being far too bright on Atlantic, but from what I can hear, this may be the sound of the master tapes. Hiss is not a problem on any of these CDs. According to Barry Diament, he did not master the Atlantic CD, despite what it says in the booklet. Best guess is Stephen Innocenzi.

As for the cover presentation, the MFSL has a lovely fold out poster of both sides of the original gatefold cover in full colour in about ¾ full scale, the Victory/Rhino has the same thing in CD booklet size and the Atlantic deletes the inner gatefold picture and replaces it with recording information, without their usual black and white replication of the inner sides of the gatefold seen in Tarkus.

20. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Agreed - at least give us a clue, even if you are preparing an in depth analysis!

Mines on the way today by Amazon courier - can't wait, though my day is going to be busy! I need to edit some pictures and make changes to a website, book a holiday checking all the details are right, go see the new Avengers movie... I will find the time somewhere to listen!

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Tell me why I should give a **** what you think...

22. eelkiller

I am going to listen to the release myself before determining if it is a "miss" or not. :hide:

The WG Manticore is the rarest so it will be the one to buy.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4778060?ev=rb

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks John! Haven't heard TRILOGY in some time--think I'll start with the Atlantic and maybe grab a copy of the Victory or Rhino to compare. They're easy to find in the used bins. I am interested in hearing what people think of the 5.1 though...

24. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

First... I only listened to the stereo remix. Trilogy sounds like a new recording.... lacking the ambience and analog feel of my original Manticore LP. Yes, I can hear more details, but the new remix sounds cold and lifeless to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.