EMI Legendary Masters Favorites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Chuck ... Make sure you don't delete "[/B][/QUOTE]" at the end of the quote. :)

2. I have no idea!!! ;)

3. No, make sure you click on the quote box at the bottom of the message and keep the close QUOTE at the end of message. Oh, chip-hp beat me to it. HOnestly, I wasn't trying to be a smart ***. :)

4. I have in the Legendary Masters Series:

Fats Domino
    Jan and Dean - Best Of
    Manfred Mann
    Legends of Christmas Past
    That Christmas CD is excellent. It contains all sorts of Christmas oddities. Those Billy Haley tunes are neat. The disc has a couple of sober looks at Christmas with the songs A Not So Merry Christmas - Bobby Vee and Look Around You (It's Christmas Time) - Bobby Goldsboro.
    The disc also contains Lon Chaney Jr. song called Monster Holiday, and Jan and Dean doing Frosty The Snowman.
    For complete information, track listing, release date, and a small jpg of the cover, check this Jan and Dean "oddities" page, about half way down.
    http://www.geocities.com/surfinagain/odditie1.html
    It's well worth finding if you can dig it up. I found it at a flea market three/four years ago for about $5. :)

I also have several of the Capitol Collectors series including:
    Frank Sinatra
    Dean Martin
    Louis Prima
    Nat King Cole
    Grand Funk Railroad
    The Raspberries
    Kingston Trio
    Stan Freberg
    I have no other discs by any of these artist to A B with? What do they sound like now, compared to any newer mastering, say like with Frank Sinatra? Tx.

I also recently purchased several of the new EMI series, "The Story" including:
    Gene Vincent
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Herman's Hermits
    I have nothing to compare these with either. Does anyone else have any of this series? How do they compare to other discs by these artists?

Tx.

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

The UK EMI Best Of Herman's Hermits CDs (Vol. 1 & 2) sound very good.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree one of the best sounding HH out there.:)

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Hermans Hermits are definetley a band that needs 4 Cd box set....they have TONs of great songs and their catalog has been haphazardly handled.

Mickey Most, where are you?

8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

And I love the late '60's stuff on Vol. 2. They had a lot of great material that no one heard..

9. Fabfourever

Fabfourever New Member

Mike, I don't know about that, as the reissues on Repertoire have great sound to them and each one has bonus tracks. Only drawback is that they are digipak which I am not fond of. Yes, HH does deserve a box set, though.

Chuck

10. RetroSmith

>>>Fab, my point was that the Hermits have enough great songs for a really nice Box set. It could be one of those sets where almost every song is a winner.

I agree the Repertoire Cds are wonderful. I miss the old MGM label tho!!

11. Rew

Rew New Member

Is anyone anywhere using the MGM Records name at all these days? The last time I remember seeing it was about ten years ago, when it appeared on the "Meet Me In St. Louis" and "Ziegfeld Follies" soundtrack CDs that were packaged in box sets with videotapes of the movies. (The regular over-the-counter CDs have the usual Rhino/Turner brand on them but are otherwise identical.)

12. RetroSmith

>>>>Nah. If it was an MGM recxord and it wasnt a leased master, then its owned by Polygram, and they just use the Polygram logo on most of their catalog product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.